Difficulty of different prep books? (Kaplan vs Princeton)

westinghouse60

Difficulty of different prep books? (Kaplan vs Princeton)

Postby westinghouse60 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:30 am

I have 2 different LSAT prep books, one is Kaplan LSAT premiere 2010, and the other is Princeton Review: Cracking the LSAT 2010 edition. Just read over the analytical reasoning section in the Kaplan book and completed all the practice sections that came with it, working un-timed. I was able to only miss 5 or so questions throughout the 100 or so total from all the tests combined. Thinking this was definite progress, I decided to do the same with the Princeton review book, only working these timed (seeing how long it took me and trying to work reasonably fast, not necessarily working with a 35 minute limit), since I felt I was really starting to master the section.

I know a direct comparison cant be drawn between working out every problem in it's entirety vs. working reasonably fast, but the problems in the Princeton review book seem quite a bit more difficult. For example, none of the answer choices would be easily eliminated due to their violation of a stated rule, and the games all involved more than one level of rules (I know that games on the LSAT are like this, but almost all the games in the this book were like that). Has anyone else seen this or is this a well known fact? I would hate to think my success with the Kaplan book was just because the questions were easier. Anyway, I'm about to go try one of the 10 Official Prep tests in another book I have, since I would assume its the most representative of real LSAT questions.

Ill check back again when I'm done, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Edit: A friend who recently took the PCAT (pharmacy school admissions test) said he used a Kaplan book and it's practice problems were significantly easier than test itself, which is not exactly encouraging.

Hedwig

Re: Difficulty of different prep books? (Kaplan vs Princeton)

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:41 am

My Kaplan book ended up in the recycling. I would advise using ONLY real LSAT problems to study from, as there is a wealth of them and it's just not the same using fake ones.

tomwatts

Re: Difficulty of different prep books? (Kaplan vs Princeton)

Postby tomwatts » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:21 am

It is generally true that our Cracking books are mostly harder than the real thing, though not by very much. The example problems in Cracking the LSAT are there as examples just to be specific (hard to describe LSAT logic in the abstract without examples), not as genuine practice. You're about to turn to real LSATs, which is what you should be doing anyway, and that will tell you how you're doing.

Bear in mind the stuff out of the 10 Actuals series is pretty old, so after you work through that stuff, you'll want to add some recent tests, if you aren't planning to already.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”