Advice in improving lsat Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tooswolle

Bronze

Advice in improving lsat

Post by tooswolle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:05 am

I've been preparing for the LSAT fortunately I've been doing well and am now practicing in the 160+ range. My question is what works best for reviewing lr questions? That has always been my weakest point and if I'm able to improve it I should hopefully be practicing in the 170's. I will however note that the questions I tend to miss vary from test to test. However it seems that I miss assumption and flawed reasoning questions more often. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

amkid100

Bronze

Re: Advice in improving lsat

Post by amkid100 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:10 am

I recently crossed over from the 160's to the 170's. What helped for me (most of my improvement has been in LR) was a new method of review. I have a notebook and when I go over the tests I cut out particularly hard questions, paste them in the notebook and then jot down notes about what I learned from doing that particular question. My notebook probably has just as many questions I got right as ones I got wrong -- it's important to review both. The great thing about this method is that whenever I get stressed and want to review I have all of the hardest questions in one place.

It has worked really well for me!

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:46 am

Thanks for the advice. My lr tends to be my weakest area, and If anyone else has any advice I'd appreciate it. I normally miss a few rc and of questions and a large amount of lr questions. Anyone else have any other suggestions.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Bump

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Review LR until you not only know why you got the question wrong, but how you will avoid that mistake in the future. 'Avoid careless reading' isn't sufficient.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I get what your saying, and I appreciate it but what in essence I'm really asking for is what is the best approach to review mistakes. For example when I look at a problem I got wrong i see the correct answer and it makes sense. however, I'm not 100% good at breaking it down to why the others are wrong and why the one I picked was wrong as well. That's why I'm asking if anyone had a method that worked best for them, so that maybe it can help me out.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:29 pm

amkid100 wrote:I recently crossed over from the 160's to the 170's. What helped for me (most of my improvement has been in LR) was a new method of review. I have a notebook and when I go over the tests I cut out particularly hard questions, paste them in the notebook and then jot down notes about what I learned from doing that particular question. My notebook probably has just as many questions I got right as ones I got wrong -- it's important to review both. The great thing about this method is that whenever I get stressed and want to review I have all of the hardest questions in one place.

It has worked really well for me!

This is great advice and a good point about having all the hardest questions in one place. Will be trying this method out soon-Thanks! :wink:

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:31 pm

tooswolle wrote:I get what your saying, and I appreciate it but what in essence I'm really asking for is what is the best approach to review mistakes. For example when I look at a problem I got wrong i see the correct answer and it makes sense. however, I'm not 100% good at breaking it down to why the others are wrong and why the one I picked was wrong as well. That's why I'm asking if anyone had a method that worked best for them, so that maybe it can help me out.
Oh. I use the LRB designations to identify the incorrect answers when I review. This helps me spot incorrect answers of the same kind in later tests. Not sure that helps.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:38 pm

I normally use that technique but the frustrating part is I eliminate the question to two answers one will be the right one the other is the wrong one. How can I learn to avoid this mistake? Ps it happens as well in rc so if I can fix that or learn how to go over problems in lr better I think I can hit the 170's.

LRR

New

Post by LRR » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm in the same boat as you with LR. Always coming down to two answers and messing the question up.

My plan has been to write out why the answer is wrong next the choice as well as diagram the question's stimulus very clearly. I read from someone else that diagramming most questions is a good strategy early on because it helps you visualize the logic behind the question more clearly. As you diagram more it becomes second nature and you'll be able to do most of in your head.

I'll probably adopt Amkid's idea too. It seems like it can be very helpful for review and a good, convenient way to keep LR questions fresh in your mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”