3 months to prepare from scratch - is this feasible? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pineappledazzler

Bronze

3 months to prepare from scratch - is this feasible?

Post by pineappledazzler » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:16 pm

I am taking the December 2010 LSAT and have just signed up for it. Have not started prepping at all for the test but have about 3 months to prepare before I need to be scoring at my goal.
I took a diagnostic cold w/o any familiarity with the test and scored 163 - I would like to improve as much as I can, ideally to a 175+. Also, the diagnostic is based solely on 4 MC sections, obviously couldn't grade my own essay.
I've ordered the LG Bible as this seems to be a recommended book on here and also the books of official preptests. Am considering signing up for an online course as well.
What would your suggestions be for me to maximize the time I have before the test? I'm going back to school in early September so will be studying alongside a full-time courseload.

bk1

Diamond

Re: 3 months to prepare from scratch - is this feasible?

Post by bk1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:19 pm

The essay is not calculated into the score and has almost no impact on admissions. A 175 is definitely possibly from a 163 diagnostic assuming you don't crumble under the pressure of test day.

If you don't get the score you want I might suggest holding off this application and retaking then applying next cycle.

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 pm

I think you are in good shape if you're scoring over 160 right now. Figure out what you need to work on and spend the time on it before you go back to school. Try to get into a routine while taking classes. Easier said than done, but it's easy to put off LSAT prep when you have 2 tests and a 10 page paper due at the end of the week.

Go through the pithypike guide & try to organize what you can BEFORE you start school. There's tons of info on this site & 3 months is an adequate amount of time.

Do you plan to apply for this cycle or wait until next fall?

pineappledazzler

Bronze

Post by pineappledazzler » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:23 pm

thanks for the link!
in response to the 2nd poster, I didn't know that - I need to do some more research into the test format I think, but that is really good to know. just curious as to why it's included then if anyone knows?
also, i'm aiming to get the score I want on the first attempt, as the dates are kind of fixed for me in terms of possible re-takes (and I'm applying NEXT year - I just am not able to take the Feb, June, or Oct 2011 tests due to highly irregular circumstances with my academic calendar and familial obligations combining to create a variety of reasons). Also, I've found from past testing that I tend to do best when I study and give preparation my all for a fixed amount of time, take a test, and am done with it - at least with all SAT and related exams!
I'm going to look over that link, and formulate a study schedule this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:25 am

pineappledazzler wrote:just curious as to why it's included then if anyone knows?
It's photocopied and sent to law schools. Most of them don't read it (though LSAC insists that some do). As far as I can tell, the only reason it's there for the schools that do look at it is to verify that you can write a halfway decent essay on the spot without anybody helping you.

pineappledazzler

Bronze

Post by pineappledazzler » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:07 pm

oh, all right then. furthermore - do all of you practice writing the essay after doing practice tests to simulate the real experience? or not "waste time" with it?

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:12 pm

pineappledazzler wrote:oh, all right then. furthermore - do all of you practice writing the essay after doing practice tests to simulate the real experience? or not "waste time" with it?
Don't waste time. As long as you can put words (preferably English) on a piece of paper for about 20 minutes, you're fine.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:14 pm

i did it. i didn't 180 or anything, but i got into my top choice with money. just buy prep tests and make time to practice a few days a week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pineappledazzler

Bronze

Post by pineappledazzler » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 pm

sounds good. just one more question - with this amount of prep time, what would be better in your opinions - every day prepping for an hour or so, or 3-4 days per week for a longer period of time?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:39 pm

pineappledazzler wrote:sounds good. just one more question - with this amount of prep time, what would be better in your opinions - every day prepping for an hour or so, or 3-4 days per week for a longer period of time?
Whichever works best for you.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:15 pm

It can be done. It will be a hard three months because of your full time course load, but it can be done. And in regards to study schedule, as said above, you have to go with what's best for you personally in terms of learning style and school/life schedule.

pineappledazzler

Bronze

Post by pineappledazzler » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for all the advice!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”