LSAT score advice?

messiah_cakes

LSAT score advice?

Postby messiah_cakes » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:37 pm

*sigh* I have a bit of a conundrum, and I was hoping for some advice.

I've been studying (on-and-off) for the LSAT since April, in preparation for the Oct. test.
I got a 154 on my first diagnostic test, and began studying, on a daily basis, with the Bibles. I felt like I got a good grasp of the fundamentals, and enrolled in an LSAT course, in order to take timed tests on a regular basis and do some intense problem-analysis/correction. Unfortunately, the tests were in the late afternoon, and my scores plummeted to 153, 151, and 149, even. So, I took a one month break, studied the bibles again, and took off about 2 weeks, after that. About two weeks ago, I started again, but in the early afternoon, to replicate LSAT conditions better. The pattern, thus far, has been 161, 156, 156.... (with the LR sections varying like CRAZY from test to test)

Point is....I'm not sure if I'm going through a standard pattern. It seems that a lot of TLS users go through some fluctuation, but certainly, in much briefer spans of time. (I'm, maybe, 10 tests in, at this point).

SO....onto the point: October LSAT is right around the corner....any advice?
I'm terrified of doing intensive work, out of fear my score will just keep plummeting?
I try to engage it with a problem-solving type of mentality.
But, so far, nothing I try seems to help substancially??

So....advice?
Last edited by messiah_cakes on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ly2010

Re: LSAT score advice?

Postby ly2010 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:39 pm

messiah_cakes wrote:*sigh* I have a bit of a conundrum, and I was hoping for some advice.

I've been studying (on-and-off) for the LSAT since April, in preparation for the Oct. test.
I got a 154 on my first diagnostic test, and began studying, on a daily basis, with the Bibles. I felt like I got a good grasp of the fundamentals, and enrolled in an LSAT course, in order to take timed tests on a regular basis and do some intense problem-analysis/correction. Unfortunately, the tests were in the late afternoon, and my scores plummeted to 153, 151, and 149, even. So, I took a one month break, studied the bibles again, and took off about 2 weeks, after that. About two weeks ago, I started again, and the pattern, thus far, has been 161, 156, 156.... (the LR sections vary like CRAZY)

Point is....I'm not sure if I'm going through a standard pattern. It seems that a lot of TLS users go through some fluctuation, but certainly, in much briefer spans of time. I haven't been studying for a single month. I've been doing LSAT stuff for.....a while, it seems. Getting consistent scores is difficult (I'm, maybe, 10 tests in, at this point).

SO....onto the point: October LSAT is right around the corner....any advice?
I'm terrified of doing intensive work, out of fear my score will just keep plummeting?

And....I have a 3.9 GPA, and a stellar Resume (making everything 2 million times more frustrating), but I feel like giving up another year (or another grand) for studying is *not* an option....

So....advice?

Hmm, what kind of schools are you looking into?

messiah_cakes

Postby messiah_cakes » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Unfortunately, a lot of schools with a 164 in their 25th percentile....

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm kind of in that situation...except you are a lot smarter than I am by starting your preparation earlier. I started studying a week ago for the Oct LSAT and I honestly didn't realize that I sucked so much. All my friends have made really good scores and I honestly just assumed I would do fine (I must be cocky or just in la la land). I didn't do too hot my freshman year, but I've made 4.0's ever since and have a cumulative 3.6+ GPA and a 5 page CV. If I don't do well on the LSAT, I realize that I won't be getting into the schools I originally were shooting for. I don't want to settle but I honestly don't want to waste a year either.

I don't think that you should go to a crappy school just because of this one stupid test. Are you really focused on the LSAT or are you just kind of studying? I think LSAT is a test that will reward you for all your hard work... we still have 50+ days!

messiah_cakes

Postby messiah_cakes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 am

ly2010 wrote:I don't think that you should go to a crappy school just because of this one stupid test. Are you really focused on the LSAT or are you just kind of studying? I think LSAT is a test that will reward you for all your hard work... we still have 50+ days!

Studying 4+ hours a day, five days a week, with original tests, and with the Bibles. I feel very demoralized, though, so it's hard to put in more hours. I keep getting the silly feeling that, the more I put in, the more my PT scores drop??

I just took another PT yesterday, after re-reviewing my last two PT's, and the "parallel arguments" part of the LR bible.....and I got a 153. And, I'm 100% it's because of stupid mistakes....

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 am

The best advice i can give you is stick with it. I have been working on the LSAT consistently for about a month and a half now, and have seen my incorrect answers cut in half. On the LR section, make sure you read everything very carefully, as there are some indicators which may help you find the correct answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”