Racial and Ethnic Minority

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Racial and Ethnic Minority

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:56 pm

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this, however, i would like to know whether i am considered a racial minority. I am an Indian-American and classified under Asian. On the LSAC site it states that Asian is considered a minority, however, i do not know whether they consider Indians Asians. Does anyone have any further information on this, as i would like to be as accurate as possible on law school applications.

dakatz

Gold

Re: Racial and Ethnic Minority

Postby dakatz » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:04 pm

If there is no specific option for "Indian", then just check the Asian box. Neither is underrepresented (under the "URM" umbrella), so its not a big deal if you pick one vs. the other, if there is no indian option.

Anaconda

Silver

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:06 pm

They would consider Indians Asian.

Indians and Asians in general are most likely considered "over-represented" minorities, so it might actually hurt you in the long run! :(

I know that's the case for undergrad, but it may not be the case for law schools - it might just have no affect. I highly doubt being Indian/Asian would help your chances anywhere unless you immigrated to the US and write about it in your PS.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Anaconda wrote:Indians and Asians in general are most likely considered "over-represented" minorities, so it might actually hurt you. :(

I know that's the case for undergrad, but it may not be the case for law schools - it might just have no affect. I highly doubt being Indian/Asian would help your chances anywhere unless you immigrated to the US and write about it in your PS.

Yes, that is true for undergraduates, and i never checked the box that said minority when applying for college. What threw me for a loop was LSAC included Asians, something not included prior to college where the choices were Hispanic and Native American only.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�