Awesome Study-Motivator...Tutoring!

LSATclincher

Awesome Study-Motivator...Tutoring!

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Hello everyone. Well, I've been prepping for the LSAT for almost a year now. Obviously, I haven't been consistent over that time: There was a period where I simply needed a break from it all. However, I gained some awesome motivation by tutoring. I posted an ad on Craigslist offering tutoring. My pitch was clear:

Cheap rate: $10/Hr (All other private tutoring is $50-$100+)

Tangible gain: I improved my score from a 136 initial diagnostic to a score in the mid-high 150's.

Experience w/ failure: During my time studying, I learned the mistakes I made. So, I sought to help another student refrain from making such mistakes.

Well, my pitch worked. Someone replied to my post, and I've been tutoring my student for about 2-3 months now. Aside from making a little bit of spending money, the tutoring has forced me to focus on the LSAT. I've created typed lessons for my student with tips and notes for each section of the LSAT. I've provided practice problems for my student, which forced me to complete the problems myself. This whole experience has increased my LSAT knowledge and score. Particularly, I've figured out the Logical Reasoning section. Some sort of light bulb clicked in my head. I have discovered some obvious trends in LR.

Overall, I'm excited because we haven't even started Reading Comp. I'm convinced my motivation to teach my student the RC material will help me discover tidbits formerly unknown. I understand I did get a bit lucky by getting a reply to my post. But, I think it's worth a try for anyone, especially if you have improved significantly your score. There are many kids out there who simply cannot do well on this test, and they are looking for any help necessary. The problem with test prep companies and tutors is price. If you can enter the market with a cheaper rate, it could work!

My only goal with this post is for someone to try this idea if he/she is looking for extra motivation to study.

Re: Awesome Study-Motivator...Tutoring!

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Anyone who let's someone scoring in the 150s tutor is an idiot. If you are in the 150s, you don't have a good enough grasp of the test to teach it. And if you haven't taken a real LSAT yet, you don't know what it's really like.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:15 pm

Good luck in life with your negative attitude. There was no reason for you to reply to this post.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:17 pm

blowhard wrote:Anyone who let's someone scoring in the 150s tutor is an idiot. If you are in the 150s, you don't have a good enough grasp of the test to teach it. And if you haven't taken a real LSAT yet, you don't know what it's really like.

+1.
God help the student this guy in tutoring.
Last edited by thecilent on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Another pathetic poster. No wonder people hate lawyers. Good luck in life with your negativity.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:20 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Good luck in life with your negative attitude. There was no reason for you to reply to this post.

I'm not negative. My point in replying is simple. You are posting suggesting other people who have not proven their LSAT ability tutor other people. My contention is that they are doing a disservice to their student and quite possibly themselves. Just because you can't stay motivated doesn't mean you should teach.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:21 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Another pathetic poster. No wonder people hate lawyers. Good luck in life with your negativity.

lol @ you thinking being logical = negativity. No one should be paying anyone scoring in the 150s for tutoring.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 pm

You know what, this is a great idea on second thought! I'm a 0L...but I'm going to advertise to tutor the Summer Starters on their upcoming finals! I'll also be teaching the MCATs, GRE, and CPA if anyone is interested. And I'm going to teach bar prep during my 1L year for extra money!

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:25 pm

You guys are seriously entertaining this? He's obviously trolling.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Some people have a goal to score 160. If you started with a LSAT score of <140, a 160 is a remarkable feat. I am almost there, and I have helped my student throughout our lessons.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:28 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Some people have a goal to score 160. If you started with a LSAT score of <140, a 160 is a remarkable feat. I am almost there, and I have helped my student throughout our lessons.

Scoring a 160 doesn't mean you are qualified to teach someone who wants a 160. A 160 means you don't grasp the ENTIRE test. If your student has issues with a part that you don't grasp, how in the hell would you help them? Also, LOL at you thinking teaching the LSAT in any way prepares you for actually taking the LSAT.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:29 pm

yo! wrote:You guys are seriously entertaining this? He's obviously trolling.

I am obviously bored.

LSATclincher wrote:Some people have a goal to score 160. If you started with a LSAT score of <140, a 160 is a remarkable feat. I am almost there, and I have helped my student throughout our lessons.

I just don't understand. I wouldn't have a problem with this if you said you were charging to help motivate / help make sure someone studies (in which case anyone dumb enough to pay you would deserve getting their money taken). But how do you say you TUTOR? What could you possibly be teaching someone when you are scoring in the 150's? With a score in the 150's, I would like to see you explain how to do games to someone.
Last edited by thecilent on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 pm

thecilent wrote:

I am obviously bored.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm

To be fair, you get what you pay for, and this guy is only charging 10 dollars an hour.

Also, it seems mostly like a nice way to procrastinate studying. You have to set up this ad, hook some unsuspecting sucker who doesn't care that you haven't taken the LSAT yet, wait for this sucker to contact you, THEN "tutor" him or her to the extend that you can tutor somebody without fully grasping material yourself, and THEN bingo, motivation to study! Sure you've just wasted a lot of hours of yourself and somebody else's life, but who cares, you are now motivated to study.

I feel like the end could have been achieved quite rapidly by giving oneself a stern talking to and/or listening to a motivational tune like Be Prepared which would take up only about 3 minutes and 5 seconds. Or, you know, just suck it up.

EDIT: And yes, it does sound like this person is paying you to be a study buddy. Which is fine. But then your suggestion becomes more like "find a study buddy who will pay you to study with them for cheap." Which is far different from actual tutoring in my opinion.
Last edited by Hedwig on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:38 pm

thecilent wrote:

I am obviously bored.

I just don't understand. I wouldn't have a problem with this if you said you were charging to help motivate / help make sure someone studies (in which case anyone dumb enough to pay you would deserve getting their money taken). But how do you say you TUTOR? What could you possibly be teaching someone when you are scoring in the 150's? With a score in the 150's, I would like to see you explain how to do games to someone.

Games is my strength. I am consistently hitting 20 correct in the games section. LG is the easiest section to "learn," which is why I began my tutoring with that section. My problem has been LR and concentration. I have finally discovered some trends in LR: namely repeated flaws, "defender" assumptions, and "safe" language.

My only goal of this post was to provide a suggestion to someone who had LSAT study burnout, like myself. The tutoring has forced me to get back on track since I now have someone to help. I'm not really surprised by the negative posts since this is the internet, but I'm not too sure the negative posters understand the perspective of someone who is scoring under 140 in their initial LSAT efforts.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 pm

I think thats great youre improving on your LSAT skills whilst helping someone else. I kinda see it as paying for a study buddy rather than a tutor. And Im assuming you were upfront w/ your 'student' about your score. So if he still wanted to team up with you and its helping you I dont see what the issue is. Alot of people only take courses etc. because it forces them to study LSAT twice a week...all that material you could learn from the right arsenal of books on your own and an LSAT forum or two for questions.

Studying in groups works wonders for some people. Ignore the haters on these boards...prob fat blowhards that couldnt pull a study buddy no matter how high their score.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:40 pm

TITCR

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:41 pm

LSATclincher wrote:My only goal of this post was to provide a suggestion to someone who had LSAT study burnout, like myself. The tutoring has forced me to get back on track since I now have someone to help. I'm not really surprised by the negative posts since this is the internet, but I'm not too sure the negative posters understand the perspective of someone who is scoring under 140 in their initial LSAT efforts.

I understand what you're saying. And I agree; I think tutoring does help one learn (/ study more). No one is really being negative though - I think we are more just baffled that someone would pay someone scoring in the 150s to tutor them. This person is prob just lonely and wants someone to hang out / study with, IMO.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Day2Daze wrote:I think thats great youre improving on your LSAT skills whilst helping someone else. I kinda see it as paying for a study buddy rather than a tutor. And Im assuming you were upfront w/ your 'student' about your score. So if he still wanted to team up with you and its helping you I dont see what the issue is. Alot of people only take courses etc. because it forces them to study LSAT twice a week...all that material you could learn from the right arsenal of books on your own and an LSAT forum or two for questions.

Credited.

Day2Daze wrote:Ignore the haters on these boards...prob fat blowhards that couldnt pull a study buddy no matter how high their score. don't like to see people scammed out of $10/hr

Credited.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:44 pm

eit wrote:To be fair, you get what you pay for, and this guy is only charging 10 dollars an hour.

Also, it seems mostly like a nice way to procrastinate studying. You have to set up this ad, hook some unsuspecting sucker who doesn't care that you haven't taken the LSAT yet, wait for this sucker to contact you, THEN "tutor" him or her to the extend that you can tutor somebody without fully grasping material yourself, and THEN bingo, motivation to study! Sure you've just wasted a lot of hours of yourself and somebody else's life, but who cares, you are now motivated to study.

I feel like the end could have been achieved quite rapidly by giving oneself a stern talking to and/or listening to a motivational tune like Be Prepared which would take up only about 3 minutes and 5 seconds. Or, you know, just suck it up.

EDIT: And yes, it does sound like this person is paying you to be a study buddy. Which is fine. But then your suggestion becomes more like "find a study buddy who will pay you to study with them for cheap." Which is far different from actual tutoring in my opinion.

I respect your opinion (and like your avatar even more!). Sure, I certainly have a motivation issue. And as a business major, making an extra buck while studying certainly helps. Your point is valid.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey OP, I think there are some pros and cons here. On the positive side, I find that explaining the material to others was a wonderful way to reinforce my knowledge and pick up little tricks as I went along. It also forces you to address your areas of deficiency. Finally, it makes you explain questions and concepts out loud. Too many times, while doing problems in my head, I would just give it the whole "ok, ok I get it" attitude, but explaining it out made me really cover every answer choice and possibility and truly get the most out of my review.

But on the flipside of the coin, a score in the 150's indicates that you have numerous areas in which to improve. Yes, your score improvement is great and you should be very proud of it as you continue to learn the material. But charging money to tutor seems a bit odd given your score range and extent of mastery. Again, I do not mean to offend you. I simply wish to push you in the direction that will both benefit yourself, as well as those you may end up tutoring. I would suggest you form a study group of people with similar scores. That would give you the chance to explain and discuss questions/concepts (which is what I believe you really want/need), without putting you in a position where absolute mastery of the material is expected.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Day2Daze wrote:I think thats great youre improving on your LSAT skills whilst helping someone else. I kinda see it as paying for a study buddy rather than a tutor. And Im assuming you were upfront w/ your 'student' about your score. So if he still wanted to team up with you and its helping you I dont see what the issue is. Alot of people only take courses etc. because it forces them to study LSAT twice a week...all that material you could learn from the right arsenal of books on your own and an LSAT forum or two for questions.

Studying in groups works wonders for some people. Ignore the haters on these boards...prob fat blowhards that couldnt pull a study buddy no matter how high their score.

Thanks for the "positive" post. I probably should have added I told my tutor once she reaches a level in which I'm confident in her abilities, I offered to analyze PT's for free to help us both.

Also, nice avatar!

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:47 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Thanks for the "positive" post. I probably should have added I told my tutor once she reaches a level in which I'm confident in her abilities, I offered to analyze PT's for free to help us both.

:shock: lulzz

Royal

Postby Royal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:49 pm

"Results Oriented: Students I've tutored have since matriculated at such fine law schools as Florida Coastal and Concord!"
Last edited by Royal on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:49 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
Games is my strength. I am consistently hitting 20 correct in the games section. LG is the easiest section to "learn," which is why I began my tutoring with that section. My problem has been LR and concentration. I have finally discovered some trends in LR: namely repeated flaws, "defender" assumptions, and "safe" language.

My only goal of this post was to provide a suggestion to someone who had LSAT study burnout, like myself. The tutoring has forced me to get back on track since I now have someone to help. I'm not really surprised by the negative posts since this is the internet, but I'm not too sure the negative posters understand the perspective of someone who is scoring under 140 in their initial LSAT efforts.

Well hell, I got a perfect score on LG, send me your peer's phone number and i'll teach him for 9.50 an hour.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”