mapping games for October?

shane0515

mapping games for October?

Postby shane0515 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Im really horrible at mapping games. Im able to do pretty well on all the other games but mapping games or those rare games where you have to draw things out really throw me off. what are the chances of a rare game like that being on the LSAT this October? When was the last time that this type of game showed up?

Anaconda

Re: mapping games for October?

Postby Anaconda » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:24 pm

I think PT 40, and before that it hadn't shown up in many years. I reallllyyy hope we won't have one, I'm terrible at them too.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:54 pm

A game where you have to draw things out? I don't know what that means but it sounds scary.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Hannibal wrote:A game where you have to draw things out? I don't know what that means but it sounds scary.

They're tough because they're so unusual. That game with the planes that couldnt go in different areas and whatnot was complicated. I got like 4 correct, mainly because I guessed.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:05 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:A game where you have to draw things out? I don't know what that means but it sounds scary.

They're tough because they're so unusual. That game with the planes that couldnt go in different areas and whatnot was complicated. I got like 4 correct, mainly because I guessed.

I am pretty sure that one hasn't appeared in SEVERAL test administrations - they are really quite rare and it appears the LSAC may be over them at this point. So, very unlikely and if one does appear,everyone won't know how to do it and it will affect the score distribution significantly. That said some mapping games are absurdly hard (ski chalet game) but many are very very easy to make up for the fact LSAC knows they are unusual...if you don't panic sometimes they are the most straightforward and intuitive games out there.

Anyway, again - dont waste too much time on this - chances of you seeing one of these are miniscule.

(I apologize in advance if there is one on the october test)

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:22 pm

The curve for the last PT w/ a mapping game (PT 40) was only -10. Maybe the rest of the test was easier than normal to offset it?

jtemp320 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:

I am pretty sure that one hasn't appeared in SEVERAL test administrations - they are really quite rare and it appears the LSAC may be over them at this point. So, very unlikely and if one does appear,everyone won't know how to do it and it will affect the score distribution significantly. That said some mapping games are absurdly hard (ski chalet game) but many are very very easy to make up for the fact LSAC knows they are unusual...if you don't panic sometimes they are the most straightforward and intuitive games out there.

Anyway, again - dont waste too much time on this - chances of you seeing one of these are miniscule.

(I apologize in advance if there is one on the october test)

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:23 pm

What PT has the Ski Chalet game?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:31 pm

PT 4, the curve for that one was only -10

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:40 pm

I have really terrible spatial skills, always have. If there were such thing as spatial dyslexia or whatever, I would be diagnosed with it.

For these reasons, mapping games hurt my soul. If one shows up in October... well, I'll skip it and come back to it. The only way I couldn't see that tanking my score is if we had one mapping game and three pure sequencing games because I am in love with pure sequencing and can do one in 5 minutes flat, so that would give me 20 minutes to figure out mapping, lol.

shane0515

Postby shane0515 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 pm

what year was the last mapping game?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:49 pm

While I do not think another mapping game will appear, the June 2010 LSAT had the odd stone/mulch game. After having relatively easy games in the late 50s PTs, I think the games are going to start to increase in difficulty, coming closer to resemble the difficulty level of older tests.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:03 pm

I personally love these games. Oddly enough, my weakness is pattern games (which other people find easy).

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Anaconda wrote:PT 4, the curve for that one was only -10

Way to use "actual evidence" to contradict my point...okay well - I specifically hated that game - but I stand by trying to master mapping games is a waste of time- be familiar with them but mostly you just have to rely on your instincts because they are so uncommon

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:50 pm

I don't even know what mapping games are. If the October test has a rare game I'm probably canceling my score.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 pm

If you can map them out, the questions for mapping games seem easier than the questions for other ones, as in they take less work to solve.

I wouldn't bother trying to master them, though if you have spare time try to understand the ones that do exist. It is unlikely that you will get one, but if you do just don't panic and it will probably be not as bad as you might expect.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:59 pm

The "planes" game was the only mapping game I've done, but as I recall I found it relatively easy.

But, I certainly hope that they don't bust out anything too unusual on this October test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”