Oct. Test prep progress Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eliekedourie

Bronze

Oct. Test prep progress

Post by eliekedourie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:26 am

Last edited by eliekedourie on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Oct. Test prep progress

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 am

Great PT scores.

Just wondering, before you got 167 on the real LSAT, what were you scoring on PT's?

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 am

I hadn't gotten my system down and so it went roughly, 155, 160, 168, and then a bunch of jumps between 168 and 159-161. I had one 172 in there and maybe 1 or 2 170s. I was wildly inconsistent and had concentration issues that I've since addressed. Although the tests I'm doing now have games and questions I've seen before, I'm finding that while I may recognize games, I don't recall anything about the answers. I did all the testmasters games, but only once, and I burned through many of them not knowing what I was doing early on. I did not do all the LRs they gave out, and I did very few of the RCs. LG is still my least consistent section. When I get a -10, its usually because I had a -5 on LG. I usually get between -2 and -4 on the combined LR sections and -0 and -1 on RC. Of course, I've had outlier tests.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:41 am

eliekedourie wrote:I hadn't gotten my system down and so it went roughly, 155, 160, 168, and then a bunch of jumps between 168 and 159-161. I had one 172 in there and maybe 1 or 2 170s. I was wildly inconsistent and had concentration issues that I've since addressed. Although the tests I'm doing now have games and questions I've seen before, I'm finding that while I may recognize games, I don't recall anything about the answers. I did all the testmasters games, but only once, and I burned through many of them not knowing what I was doing early on. I did not do all the LRs they gave out, and I did very few of the RCs. LG is still my least consistent section. When I get a -10, its usually because I had a -5 on LG. I usually get between -2 and -4 on the combined LR sections and -0 and -1 on RC. Of course, I've had outlier tests.
How did you improve your RC score? Or did you always score between -0 to -2 range?

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:47 am

Well, I find that the old tests have easier RC than the more recent ones from the mid to late 2000s. I was always good at it though. I'm a voracious reader of difficult material. I was a History major and a great deal of my work involves reading 4th amendment case law. Long story short, I'm a very strong reader with a very strong vocabulary. LG is my weakness. RC is a strength. I have found however that doing more and more RC passages familiarizes me with the kinds of questions they ask and the kinds of answers they are looking for. The more tests you do, the easier it is to anticipate what they are looking for and rule out the sucker choices and obviously wrong answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:51 am

I'm in a similar boat.
You said you had concentration issues that you have since resolved. Concentration is my number 1 issue. How did you address this? I can't help but have to reread abunch of things because my mind starts thinking about something completely unrelated...

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Fresh off PT 12 I had my best test ever despite crappy test conditions and a incipient sore throat.
PT 12. Raw =99. Scaled 179. LR1+2 -0. RC -0. LG -2.

This is the first time I've ever gotten a -0 combined on LR. -0 on RC is not unusual. -2 on LG is actually very good for me. It's rare that I don't make some stupid errors or have timing issues on at least one game.

I'm now going on vacation with my GF and plan to slow down my 5 PT per week pace that I've had the last two weeks.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:10 pm

eliekedourie wrote:Fresh off PT 12 I had my best test ever despite crappy test conditions and a incipient sore throat.
PT 12. Raw =99. Scaled 179. LR1+2 -0. RC -0. LG -2.

This is the first time I've ever gotten a -0 combined on LR. -0 on RC is not unusual. -2 on LG is actually very good for me. It's rare that I don't make some stupid errors or have timing issues on at least one game.

I'm now going on vacation with my GF and plan to slow down my 5 PT per week pace that I've had the last two weeks.
Make sure you bang her a few times. Actually, spend all your time doing that. You can come back to your LSAT prep refreshed and ready to go.

Good luck! Also, congratulations. That's a great score.

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:50 am

2 tests taken yesterday and this morning while on vacation.

PT 13: 175; 93; -8.
PT 14: 177; 97; -4.

I'm on a tear with my LGs. On the two tests I got a combined -2. But on PT 13, LR1 got a -4 which is pretty tough to stomach after a -0 combined on LRs in PT 12.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Back from vacation and in the swing of things. Took PT 15 this morning. Scored a 174. Raw score of 96. RC: -2, LR1 -0, LR2 -2, LG -1.

I'm really pleased by the consistently good low rate of LG misses. I'm a little nervous about a slight increase in RC misses. I used to miss -0 more often than not, but in the last two tests, I've gotten -2 on the last two RCs. I'm almost done with the 3 10 real LSAT books and am going to move on to the superpreps and 38-60. Looking forward to trying the more recent tests and the comparative RC passages.

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:57 pm

I've created a new google spreadsheet for my test prep progress:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CJSahPMJ

Took PT 16 and scored my first 180. I scored a -1 on LRs, -2 on LG, and -0 on RC.

The great news is that I got a 180, despite a pretty generous curve. I got a -2 on PT12 and it was a 179.

The bad news is that I thought I had done terribly and wanted to quit after the first section which was LG. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not great at predicting good scores while I'm taking the test. I need to remember these moments after I take the Oct test and feel like I bombed it.

What are peoples thoughts on their predictive abilities and how it impacts their ability to accurately gauge how whether they're going to cancel their scores.
Last edited by eliekedourie on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Just finished PT 18 with an all-time personal best. Got my second 180 in a row with a -1 overall. Dropped one in the first LR section. Things feel like they are really clicking and I'm growing more and more confident in my ability to quickly and accurately answer all but the very hardest LR questions. I just got the LR bible and am looking forward to reviewing it for parallel reasoning questions which eat up a lot of time for me, although i'm getting them right with greater frequency than I used to.

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Disappointing performance on PT 39, which I took tonight after a few days off. It was my first test transitioning to a scantron sheet and taken as a 5 section test rather than 4. I will be using the experimental section to re-do sections I've had a hard time on in the past. My totals for this test were -1 LRs, -1 LG, and -4 RC. This RC score is unacceptable. I knew as I was taking the test that I was having a hard time concentrating, something that is rarely an issue with me. Hoping that it was an off day. I know I can't always score 180s, but after two in a row, a 176 is still somewhat disappointing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:38 pm

Tell me about it... after getting a 180 and a 179 a while back, I've been unable to break 177 in the past 3 PTs and it is pretty frustrating. I don't expect most people to feel sad for me. But I'm sure you understand.

Keep it up... may we both get 180s on test day. As long as you're not applying to any schools that I'm applying to. ;)

eliekedourie

Bronze

Post by eliekedourie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Just tok PT 40 and it was a HUGE disappointment. I dramatically bombed one section. LR1: -0, LG: -3, LR2: -6, RC: -1. Scaled: 170.

I don't know what the hell happened in LR2. I know I misbubbled on one of them, but getting 5 questions wrong as a result of failing to comprehend them is unacceptable. I have consistently been PTing at a combined -1 or -2 LR score. This has really bothered me. I'm also upset that my one wrong RC answer was something i changed at the last moment from the correct answer to the incorrect answer.

I wasn't planning on taking another test tomorrow, but I may have to after have to after receiving that 170. I know it is dickish to complain about, but when I had recently gotten 2 180s in a row, and haven't gotten a -6 in LR in 13 PTs, I can't help but feel terrible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”