What would you do if you were me...

pattymac

What would you do if you were me...

Postby pattymac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey guys,
I've recently been studying pretty hardcore for about a month now, but I was originally planning on taking the june LSAT so I started the material around January til March, then took a break from March-June. I did the LG bible the RC bible and PT's 7-17. The highest score I got was 161..the lowest was 152 (which was the last one I took, unfortunately).

Anyways, my diagnostic was a 140 so I made some decent gains. When I started studying again, I was around the low 150's but now I seem to be around 155-158 range fairly consistently. Realistically, what is keeping me out of the 160's on a consistent basis is scoring even decently on all sections. On every PT I've took, I have thoroughly tanked one section. Last Tuesday, I got -15 on RC after getting -4 on another; on tuesday I got -4 on LG and on the previous LG I got -13. It seems that if I could just focus and score well on four sections, I'd be at least in the low 160's.

I'm a little confused what to do here. I think the response I'll get is to go back through the bibles...which I am intending to do. Its a little late for pithypike's method at this stage in the game.

Heres where I am really confused. I consider myself a very good test taker, I don't generally feel very much pressure really. I usually finnish sections fairly early and very confidently. After reviewing my PTs, my problems are careless mistakes and not understanding the stimulus. I don't want to say its the time factor that causes me to trip up, because I am generally not rushed (except in LG)...which makes me think that I should keep doing the PT to improve my stamina. When I did the mastery book untimed, I wasn't missing a lot of questions...I think I understand the basics of the test.

What should I do from here out?

dub

Re: What would you do if you were me...

Postby dub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 pm

pattymac wrote:Hey guys,
I've recently been studying pretty hardcore for about a month now, but I was originally planning on taking the june LSAT so I started the material around January til March, then took a break from March-June. I did the LG bible the RC bible and PT's 7-17. The highest score I got was 161..the lowest was 152 (which was the last one I took, unfortunately).

Anyways, my diagnostic was a 140 so I made some decent gains. When I started studying again, I was around the low 150's but now I seem to be around 155-158 range fairly consistently. Realistically, what is keeping me out of the 160's on a consistent basis is scoring even decently on all sections. On every PT I've took, I have thoroughly tanked one section. Last Tuesday, I got -15 on RC after getting -4 on another; on tuesday I got -4 on LG and on the previous LG I got -13. It seems that if I could just focus and score well on four sections, I'd be at least in the low 160's.

I'm a little confused what to do here. I think the response I'll get is to go back through the bibles...which I am intending to do. Its a little late for pithypike's method at this stage in the game.

Heres where I am really confused. I consider myself a very good test taker, I don't generally feel very much pressure really. I usually finnish sections fairly early and very confidently. After reviewing my PTs, my problems are careless mistakes and not understanding the stimulus. I don't want to say its the time factor that causes me to trip up, because I am generally not rushed (except in LG)...which makes me think that I should keep doing the PT to improve my stamina. When I did the mastery book untimed, I wasn't missing a lot of questions...I think I understand the basics of the test.

Step 1. Realize you're not.
Step 2. Take a shitload more PT's.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:26 pm

dub wrote:
pattymac wrote:Hey guys,

Step 1. Realize you're not.
Step 2. Take a shitload more PT's.

Ouch.

Anyways, from what you are saying timing IS a factor since when you take it untimed you say you don't miss a lot of questions, as where you take it timed, you miss a lot more.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 pm

ooops that came out wrong. I didn't mean that to say I'm a very good "LSAT" taker, just that I generally don't experience test anxiety or get freaked out over little miscues or anything.

But, I guess in a sense that I do sometimes feel like I have a grasp on this test...most of the time, I think I've scored higher than I actually have rather than the opposite.
Last edited by pattymac on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:31 pm

If you are tanking random sections, it may be a concentration or stamina problem. Just keep taking PT's, trying your best to get your best school. Then review what you got wrong.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks guys. I just haven't been seeing the gains there, that 161 was on my second test and I've taken about 15 since and only got as close as 158.

I think my problem is concentration, which I thought would be alleviated by taking PTs. I just don't want to waste the material without a substantial increase only to find out it was my foundations that needed adjustment.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:43 pm

I find the revision process to be the best prep for me, and the most informative when it comes to PT's. There are alot of spreadsheets available, you could also just make your own that will show which types of questions you are getting wrong in each section. Go back and track your progress on sections and PTs like that then redo the bible chapters on the question types that you struggle with.

For LR, I started using a review method I read about on here. Writing out why you got each question wrong. This involves writing out why the wrong answers are wrong and the right is right for EVERY question, even looking at the ones you right like that helps. It makes you think like the test writers and gives you more confidence when you attack LR.

RC is a bitch to improve on in general...thats what Ive found anyways, so good luck on trying to sort that one out ;)

Hope that helps :)

dub

Postby dub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Yeah, I don't mean to be so blunt; it's just your confidence in your test taking skills might be what's hurting you.

It's a lot more dangerous to be confident in wrong answers than it is to be unsure of the right ones.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:18 pm

You might just be reading too fast, probably misinterpreting what is actually being said or asked of each question. They definitely love to throw in those answers that "look good" but are off by some minor detail or extra information thrown in. If you find you are always taking bait for those wrong answers, you aren't reading carefully enough. This is a test thats really punishing on people who like to skim read because it works so well in other areas of life, getting the gist but overlooking all the details. You might not think you are skimming if you read each word, but you have to read and nail the meaning of each word or you are going to continually fall for the trick answers and nearly every question has one. At most you can do some skimming on RC but even then some of the questions will really hammer you if you don't hang on to every word (which is why we mark and go back to passage for some questions).

Perhaps maybe try reversing your time limit and tell yourself you are going to take a full 2 minutes on "every" question no matter how confident you are, just to analyze why you think your answer is right and why you think the other ones are incorrect. When you start getting a good accuracy then you start working on time.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 am

dub wrote:Yeah, I don't mean to be so blunt; it's just your confidence in your test taking skills might be what's hurting you.

It's a lot more dangerous to be confident in wrong answers than it is to be unsure of the right ones.

This is amazing advice. I tend to make a lot of stupid mistakes especially on LR section when I am overconfident. When I am a bit more hesitant, I do feel more time pressure but I tend to avoid stupid mistakes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”