hypnosis for test anxiety?

jarofsoup

hypnosis for test anxiety?

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I have difficulty sleeping before the test and it has screwed up my score twice. I am apphensive about sleeping pills and xanax. Someone said try hypnosis. I looked it up online and it seems to have scientific backing.

Anyone try this??

I got a 157 with 0 sleep on the last test. I practice test in the mid to high 160s. I need to sleep before the October test.

dub

Re: hypnosis for test anxiety?

Postby dub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Do deadlifts the day before, problem solved.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:24 pm

nyquil

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:25 pm

nyquill=sleepy next day

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 am

How was your sleep in the days leading up to the exam?

If you're going to take sleep aids take them in the days leading up to the exam, not the night before. That way you'll be forcing yourself you get 8+ hours of sleep during the week of the exam (of course it might be better to do this naturally if you can). If you know you will NOT be able to sleep the night before (which I think I fit in that category as well), why not take a long nap on Friday. Even if you only manage to sleep for 1-3 hours on Friday night/early morning, it shouldn't hinder your performance significantly.

There would be a huge difference between not having slept in 36 hours (i.e. not sleeping the night before) and not having slept in 18 hours (i.e. taking a nap the afternoon before), especially if you were getting good sleep throughout the week. You probably would crash before you even start taking the exam on 36 hours, but would probably crash near the end of the exam on 18 hours (hopefully on the writing portion :P)

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks for the advice. I usually sleep very well and thats what makes it hard and I have never had this happen with any other test before.

I am thinking of trying the Xanax, but I have never taken it before...I have it for a fear of flying that I got over with out drugs.

What ever I do I should do a test run.

Anyone take Xanax? What does it feel like?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:38 am

jarofsoup wrote:Thanks for the advice. I usually sleep very well and thats what makes it hard and I have never had this happen with any other test before.

I am thinking of trying the Xanax, but I have never taken it before...I have it for a fear of flying that I got over with out drugs.

Why the heck would you take a drug to settle something that a) might not even be a problem for you and b) test anxiety is extremely common for people taking the LSAT. A fear of flying isn't necessarily an anxiety problem (and apparently you fixed the problem WITHOUT taking drugs).

Do you actually have an anxiety disorder? Has anxiety ever been a consistent problem for you?

The fact that you'd probably stop taking the drug the day after the LSAT shows the absurdity of taking Xanax just for the LSAT. Our current culture of "oh I have a minor problem so I'll just take a drug to fix it" really, really irks me.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Anaconda wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Thanks for the advice. I usually sleep very well and thats what makes it hard and I have never had this happen with any other test before.

Why the heck would you take a drug to settle something that a) might not even be a problem for you and b) test anxiety is extremely common for people taking the LSAT. A fear of flying isn't necessarily an anxiety problem (and apparently you fixed the problem WITHOUT taking drugs).

Do you actually have an anxiety disorder? Has anxiety ever been a consistent problem for you?

The fact that you'd probably stop taking the drug the day after the LSAT shows the absurdity of taking Xanax just for the LSAT. Our current culture of "oh I have a minor problem so I'll just take a drug to fix it" really, really irks me.

I am not going to take it. I am to troubled by its side effects.

Hypnosis was a strange experience. I felt like I was on drugs while it happened

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”