How long do you study for each day? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:15 pm

To clarify, whether or not you study the LSAT is personal preference. I don't think not studying for the LSAT = not failing out of law school. By TLS standards, I may as well have taken the LSAT cold.

Not being able to screw down and do academic work is death to the study of law. It's possible to average 10-20 hours a week and get by, but there will be times when you'll need to study for 12 hours in a day. Luckily, the readings are a lot more interesting (at least at first) than other subjects.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:51 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:--ImageRemoved--
TCScrutinizer wrote:To clarify, whether or not you study the LSAT is personal preference. I don't think not studying for the LSAT = not failing out of law school. By TLS standards, I may as well have taken the LSAT cold.

Not being able to screw down and do academic work is death to the study of law. It's possible to average 10-20 hours a week and get by, but there will be times when you'll need to study for 12 hours in a day. Luckily, the readings are a lot more interesting (at least at first) than other subjects.
As long as I can still be a Jedi...

Cromartie

Bronze

Post by Cromartie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Am I the only one here who doesn't study every day? probably at least look at stuff 5 days a week. Some weeks 4. Usually only do substantive studying (4 hours or more) 3 days a week. This equals out to close to 20 hrs a week which seems more than enough to run through all the materials and get fully ready.
You're not alone. I study 2 hours at the most (if I'm lucky enough to have the time and/or not be completely drained from work) about 4 days a week by working on individual sections. On Sundays, I take a full PT. Saturdays, I have a strict no-LSAT policy :D

Will move to 2 PT's a week starting September.

HOV

New

Post by HOV » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:I did around 7 today. Would say 5-6 is my average, but then again I started at a 147 diag so I have a long ways to go!
+1

my diagnostic was 148 so i'm in the same boat. unfortunately i'm not where i want to be yet but there is hope.

jets098

New

Post by jets098 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:11 pm

It seems insane to be studying for this between 7-12 hours a day and not burnout. I do 2 hours a day for about 3-4 days a week and then 2 days i devote to taking full practice tests. I started back in June and this seems to have worked for me pretty well (took a few weeks off after surgery). There are some days that I sit down and I just find myself not being able to get through problems and those are the days I take off because I know I am not getting anything accomplished other than frustrating myself. I've brought my score from 152 to a consistent 162 in about the last month and I can see myself improving another few points hopefully by october.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 pm

1 PT every afternoon @ 2pm sharp and that's it. I score it, go over my mistakes, bang my head to the nearest handy block of concrete a few times and go back to my daily routine.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:23 pm

nullisecundus wrote:1 PT every afternoon @ 2pm sharp and that's it. I score it, go over my mistakes, bang my head to the nearest handy block of concrete a few times and go back to my daily routine.
I don't know how you cannot run out of PT's? When did you start?

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Hum, that is my schedule for my last 15 days or so, but took 30 PTs total in 45 days. Started studying 45 days ago.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:26 pm

nullisecundus wrote:Hum, that is my schedule for my last 15 days or so, but took 30 PTs total in 45 days. Started studying 45 days ago.
SO what are you going to do for the next 45?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Take the PTs from 39 to 60 (22) every other day, reviewing my mistakes more carefully.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:19 pm

I've been probably taking a lot more days off than people on here haha, but usually I do at least one or two sections a day. So I spend at least an hour or two going over sections. I should do some review of the LRB and LGB, I guess.

I was doing a PT every 2 days or so, so that upped my studying time to maybe 5 hours (to do the test and review it) on those days, but I've slowed down ther ate of PTs in order to make them count more (i.e. more simulated, and more focused, instead of just rushing to have a PT done), and am doing more section work.

So I'd say on average 1-2 hours on a non-PT day and between 3-5 hours on a PT day depending how much I review directly after and how much I put towards the next day (bringing that up to maybe 2-3 hours the next day).

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:56 pm

those of you cranking out a PT every day or two... really? is it because you have already milked all non-PT prep material (bibles etc.) for what they are worth, making PT's the only thing left?

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:31 am

Well as prep material I have the Superprep book, LGB and LRB. So I read them cover to cover once, and started taking PTs; then I noticed I was daydreaming while reading certain chapters in LRB so I read them again, and now only PTs left yeah.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:23 am

When I first started studying (very end of June) I was only hammering Logic Games. It was my weakest section and I desperately needed improvement. I studied anywhere from 2-5 hours a day, usually closer to five hours. I seldom worked on it on the weekends. I did this for about a month and a half, and Logic Games is now my best section.

I bought the LR Bible and worked with that for a couple of hours a day, sometimes a little more. Took me a few weeks to finish it. Meanwhile, I was still doing at least four games a day, on average.

I've just started taking PT's. I'm going to do 2-3 a week. I try to go over my PT in the same day that I take it, completing any questions I did not get to and reviewing what I got wrong. Depending on how I feel, I will work a little bit on some practice LR/RC/LG. In between those days in which I'm testing, I'm spending anywhere from 2-4 hours a day practicing primarily RC and LR. I'm still trying to get at least four Logic Games in a day as well.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:47 am

In total, probably about 5 hours. 3-4 at work, 2-5 at home.

Then again, I take weekends off, so...

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 am

Wex, I'll forgive you for your avatar (gator nation son!) since what you did at first seems like what I'm doing now. (Required assumption: similarities in study plans outweigh school rivalries)

Question... After doing the LRB what kind of improvement did you see on your LR sections?
On the pre-2000 PTs I was at -4 to -6 for the two LR sections combined, but then on the newer PTs that dropped to -8 to -10, which made me freak out so I cracked open the LRB for the first time this week. Im hitting it pretty hard, hoping to finish before Saturday. I'm just wondering what kind of improvement to expect. I find the formal logic section pretty helpful (for instance I used to think "most" precluded "all")

On a side note I'm stoked about how much practice on LGs/re-reading the LGB is helping, I was missing between 9 and 11 two weeks ago, I read the LGB cover to cover for the first time and dropped to -6 last week. This week I'm doing just like you said Wex (LRB interspersed with some LGs) and barring a wack-ass "process" game I feel like I could get down to -2 or -3 by the end of this week. I'm just hoping I see similar improvements on LR.

Since I'm kind of new at this intensive-LSAT studying thing (like I said I only really started 16 days ago) I was also wondering... Did you guys see your biggest improvements at the beginning (e.g. your first month of committed studying)? I Cold Diagnosed at 165 and I'm hoping to hit 170 come test day. I was doing well (164-170) on the old (7-29) PTs I was taking two weeks ago but then last week I got a hold of some newer ones (45+) and my scores dropped to 162-163 on account of a drop in LR scores.

6-10 hours/day, feelin fantastic.

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 pm

I have a question for those of you that are in the process of studying (especially those who are putting in 4 to 6+ hours a day); when did you begin studying? As a June 2011 test-taker that is in the process of deciding on when to start my LSAT studies, I'm just looking for a little perspective from those of you that are currently in the trenches putting work in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Cactus wrote:I have a question for those of you that are in the process of studying (especially those who are putting in 4 to 6+ hours a day); when did you begin studying? As a June 2011 test-taker that is in the process of deciding on when to start my LSAT studies, I'm just looking for a little perspective from those of you that are currently in the trenches putting work in.
Listen, i'm not putting in that amount of time, but i've put in a solid 20 hrs a week for the past three months and have gone from a 159 cold to a 174 on my last practice test. I think 3-4 months is the proper study time if you do it right.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:30 pm

I did about 2-3 hours per day, 6-7 days per week, for about 2 months, personally. But I was pretty quick to catch on — most people need either more time per day or more total months. I think the 6-7 days per week thing was a big factor, though.

WeX11788

New

Post by WeX11788 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:Wex, I'll forgive you for your avatar (gator nation son!) since what you did at first seems like what I'm doing now. (Required assumption: similarities in study plans outweigh school rivalries)

Question... After doing the LRB what kind of improvement did you see on your LR sections?
On the pre-2000 PTs I was at -4 to -6 for the two LR sections combined, but then on the newer PTs that dropped to -8 to -10, which made me freak out so I cracked open the LRB for the first time this week. Im hitting it pretty hard, hoping to finish before Saturday. I'm just wondering what kind of improvement to expect. I find the formal logic section pretty helpful (for instance I used to think "most" precluded "all")

On a side note I'm stoked about how much practice on LGs/re-reading the LGB is helping, I was missing between 9 and 11 two weeks ago, I read the LGB cover to cover for the first time and dropped to -6 last week. This week I'm doing just like you said Wex (LRB interspersed with some LGs) and barring a wack-ass "process" game I feel like I could get down to -2 or -3 by the end of this week. I'm just hoping I see similar improvements on LR.

Since I'm kind of new at this intensive-LSAT studying thing (like I said I only really started 16 days ago) I was also wondering... Did you guys see your biggest improvements at the beginning (e.g. your first month of committed studying)? I Cold Diagnosed at 165 and I'm hoping to hit 170 come test day. I was doing well (164-170) on the old (7-29) PTs I was taking two weeks ago but then last week I got a hold of some newer ones (45+) and my scores dropped to 162-163 on account of a drop in LR scores.

6-10 hours/day, feelin fantastic.
I liked the Logic Reasoning Bible. To be honest bro, I hadn’t really even looked at Logic Reasoning at all during my studies until I bought the Logic Reasoning Bible. I was ALL Logic Games. Keep in mind, I had taken the LSAT in June 2009, so I still had some familiarity with LR; however, believe me when I tell you, that entire year away from it made me REALLY rusty. I think the Bible was a great source to get me started. It really put me in the right state of mind.

With the games man, it’s all repetition. Let me just tell you that I was AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL at Logic Games. I foolishly BARELY studied the games my first time around and it destroyed me royally on my June 2009 LSAT. In picking it all back up at the end of June/beginning of July I was paranoid as hell so I just began hammering game after game after game EVERYDAY. Now I’m getting almost all of the games right and finishing on time. (Accuracy first, timing second). It’s become my best section.

Best of luck, and Gator Nation is WACK!!!!!!!!!!!

iskim88

Bronze

Post by iskim88 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:27 pm

i would say an intensely concentrated 3 hrs would be a lot better than loose 6~7 hrs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”