How long do you study for each day? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
greyblob

New

How long do you study for each day?

Post by greyblob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 am

I ask because someone I know, who's currently in law school, informed me that he studied for 6-7 hours a day while cramming for the LSATs. :shock:. Then again, I suppose this is why he's at HLS and I never will make it into the t14. lol.

I get the entire argument of quality over quantity, but I was just curious. I mean...I usually study 4 hours a day, unless I'm feeling particularly enthused--a rarity indeed. Otherwise, I tend to burn out.

This is "normal," right?
Or is it ridiculous to even pose such a question on TLS?

yzero1

Bronze

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Post by yzero1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:59 am

I probably study only about 2 hours a day, doing a 3 hour PT every 3 days. I think 6-7 hours is a bit intense.

dub

New

Post by dub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:27 am

I pulled 11 hours the other day.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:46 am

dub wrote:I pulled 11 hours the other day.

Haha, fitting avatar then.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:18 am

I did around 7 today. Would say 5-6 is my average, but then again I started at a 147 diag so I have a long ways to go!

txsunshine

Bronze

Post by txsunshine » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 am

I work full-time (weird hours) so I don't exactly have the luxury of studying as much as I would like to. Instead, I do timed sections on my lunch break, 35 minutes there; put in about 2 hours in the evenings; weekends I do 4-5 hours each day (at least 1 timed PT per week). In all, I estimate that I spend 23-25 hours per week studying.

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:05 am

4-6 hours a day, take 1 weekend day off to party

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:39 am

Good lord people. What could you possibly study for four hours a day (unless you're taking a PT every day)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am

I'd differentiate between hardcore studying to the point of real comprehension, versus simply reading the material and hoping for results at some point in time. The latter constituted my first strategy, and it costed me a presentable score. Unfortunately, an unpresentable score will be presented, so I felt a tad depressed knowing that. So I'm taking it again in October. I'm making sure to redo a lot of material that I cover now, in a detailed manner. For example, writing out the explanations for any slightly perplexing LR problem I find. I'm also going to try out SOS's strategy when I have more free time. Given the plenitude of worthwhile material out there, it shouldn't be a challenge to find stuff to study for hours every day a few months in advanced.

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:03 am

3|ink wrote:Good lord people. What could you possibly study for four hours a day (unless you're taking a PT every day)?

Well if reviewing the test counts as studying then I would agree that I study at least 4 hours a day. I write out explanations of wrong answers and go over every right answer along with redoing games.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 am

StrictlyLiable wrote:
3|ink wrote:Good lord people. What could you possibly study for four hours a day (unless you're taking a PT every day)?

Well if reviewing the test counts as studying then I would agree that I study at least 4 hours a day. I write out explanations of wrong answers and go over every right answer along with redoing games.
I can see how that'd help. I don't spend nearly as much time reviewing. That's probably what I should be doing.

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 am

3|ink wrote:
StrictlyLiable wrote:

I can see how that'd help. I don't spend nearly as much time reviewing. That's probably what I should be doing.

Yeah I highly recommend it if you have the time. After all, you can only read the bibles and stuff so many times haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lastch2

Bronze

Post by lastch2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 pm

yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:21 pm

lastch2 wrote:yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)
I'm in the same boat, dude. I guess I don't take enough time to review or I'm not doing enough PTs. I was advised not to take more than 2 PTs a week or risk burnout. Can someone tell me I'll be okay doing 3-4 a week?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:22 pm

3|ink wrote:
lastch2 wrote:yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)
I'm in the same boat, dude. I guess I don't take enough time to review or I'm not doing enough PTs. I was advised not to take more than 2 PTs a week or risk burnout. Can someone tell me I'll be okay doing 3-4 a week?
You're scoring pretty highly, arent you? If true, then youre ok. The hardcore studying is for people that have a ways to go, like me. :mrgreen:

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:29 pm

gdane5 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
You're scoring pretty highly, arent you? If true, then youre ok. The hardcore studying is for people that have a ways to go, like me. :mrgreen:
I'm all over the place. I've scored between 166 and 177. I'd rather score 170 consistently than have a fluke test every once in a while.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greyblob

New

Post by greyblob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:48 pm

3|ink wrote:
IMO, you're doing fine. Yes, unto each their own, but I don't think spending most of your waking hours studying for this test is healthy or advised. Besides, it seems like you're already scoring high. I seriously wouldn't worry about it! :)

At this point, I refuse to devote more than 3-4 hours a day studying. I've been so stressed about the LSAT for months, but I'm just so sick of it. I don't want this test to dictate my life anymore...at least for the time being.

....I'm sure I'll freak out in a few hours. hahaha.

lamentable

New

Post by lamentable » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:4-6 hours a day, take 1 weekend day off to party

Everyone needs some party time. TLS can cause some neurotic tendencies.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:11 pm

4-6 hours not including PT's. Most of it is review, and rework. If I'm very bored/ extremely motivated, I can sit still for upwards of 8-10. When I miss a problem, I type it up verbatim, then why each answer choice is wrong, and why the correct one is correct. Very time consuming, but it helps (or so I tell myself). With two weeks to go, I'm cutting way down... 2 Hours max.

I'd rather go through hell now studying for this than be stuck in some shit school and having a crappy job.

txsunshine

Bronze

Post by txsunshine » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:47 am

OklahomasOK wrote: I'd rather go through hell now studying for this than be stuck in some shit school and having a crappy job.
I think this every day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:07 pm

6-7hrs/day on weekdays, 9-10/day on weekends.

Beast mode for the next 46 days.

Flor de Caña and public nudity in 47.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
dub wrote:I pulled 11 hours the other day.
Jeezus how do you do that? I can't *study* anything for longer than 2-3 hours at a time, nor work on a paper for longer than 4-5 hours at a time, and I think I have a personal max of 7 hours or so of academic work a day.
If all you can tolerate is seven hours of academic work per day, then law is not for you.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Am I the only one here who doesn't study every day? probably at least look at stuff 5 days a week. Some weeks 4. Usually only do substantive studying (4 hours or more) 3 days a week. This equals out to close to 20 hrs a week which seems more than enough to run through all the materials and get fully ready.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:13 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”