How long do you study for each day?

User avatar
greyblob
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 pm

How long do you study for each day?

Postby greyblob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 am

I ask because someone I know, who's currently in law school, informed me that he studied for 6-7 hours a day while cramming for the LSATs. :shock:. Then again, I suppose this is why he's at HLS and I never will make it into the t14. lol.

I get the entire argument of quality over quantity, but I was just curious. I mean...I usually study 4 hours a day, unless I'm feeling particularly enthused--a rarity indeed. Otherwise, I tend to burn out.

This is "normal," right?
Or is it ridiculous to even pose such a question on TLS?

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby yzero1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:59 am

I probably study only about 2 hours a day, doing a 3 hour PT every 3 days. I think 6-7 hours is a bit intense.

User avatar
dub
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby dub » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:27 am

I pulled 11 hours the other day.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby Balthy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:46 am

dub wrote:I pulled 11 hours the other day.



Haha, fitting avatar then.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 am

dub wrote:I pulled 11 hours the other day.


Jeezus how do you do that? I can't *study* anything for longer than 2-3 hours at a time, nor work on a paper for longer than 4-5 hours at a time, and I think I have a personal max of 7 hours or so of academic work a day.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:18 am

I did around 7 today. Would say 5-6 is my average, but then again I started at a 147 diag so I have a long ways to go!

User avatar
txsunshine
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby txsunshine » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 am

I work full-time (weird hours) so I don't exactly have the luxury of studying as much as I would like to. Instead, I do timed sections on my lunch break, 35 minutes there; put in about 2 hours in the evenings; weekends I do 4-5 hours each day (at least 1 timed PT per week). In all, I estimate that I spend 23-25 hours per week studying.

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby iamcutdacheck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:05 am

4-6 hours a day, take 1 weekend day off to party

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:39 am

Good lord people. What could you possibly study for four hours a day (unless you're taking a PT every day)?

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby downing » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am

I'd differentiate between hardcore studying to the point of real comprehension, versus simply reading the material and hoping for results at some point in time. The latter constituted my first strategy, and it costed me a presentable score. Unfortunately, an unpresentable score will be presented, so I felt a tad depressed knowing that. So I'm taking it again in October. I'm making sure to redo a lot of material that I cover now, in a detailed manner. For example, writing out the explanations for any slightly perplexing LR problem I find. I'm also going to try out SOS's strategy when I have more free time. Given the plenitude of worthwhile material out there, it shouldn't be a challenge to find stuff to study for hours every day a few months in advanced.

User avatar
StrictlyLiable
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby StrictlyLiable » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:03 am

3|ink wrote:Good lord people. What could you possibly study for four hours a day (unless you're taking a PT every day)?



Well if reviewing the test counts as studying then I would agree that I study at least 4 hours a day. I write out explanations of wrong answers and go over every right answer along with redoing games.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 am

StrictlyLiable wrote:
3|ink wrote:Good lord people. What could you possibly study for four hours a day (unless you're taking a PT every day)?



Well if reviewing the test counts as studying then I would agree that I study at least 4 hours a day. I write out explanations of wrong answers and go over every right answer along with redoing games.


I can see how that'd help. I don't spend nearly as much time reviewing. That's probably what I should be doing.

User avatar
StrictlyLiable
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby StrictlyLiable » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 am

3|ink wrote:
StrictlyLiable wrote:
3|ink wrote:Good lord people. What could you possibly study for four hours a day (unless you're taking a PT every day)?



Well if reviewing the test counts as studying then I would agree that I study at least 4 hours a day. I write out explanations of wrong answers and go over every right answer along with redoing games.


I can see how that'd help. I don't spend nearly as much time reviewing. That's probably what I should be doing.



Yeah I highly recommend it if you have the time. After all, you can only read the bibles and stuff so many times haha.

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby lastch2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 pm

yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:21 pm

lastch2 wrote:yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)


I'm in the same boat, dude. I guess I don't take enough time to review or I'm not doing enough PTs. I was advised not to take more than 2 PTs a week or risk burnout. Can someone tell me I'll be okay doing 3-4 a week?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:22 pm

3|ink wrote:
lastch2 wrote:yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)


I'm in the same boat, dude. I guess I don't take enough time to review or I'm not doing enough PTs. I was advised not to take more than 2 PTs a week or risk burnout. Can someone tell me I'll be okay doing 3-4 a week?


You're scoring pretty highly, arent you? If true, then youre ok. The hardcore studying is for people that have a ways to go, like me. :mrgreen:

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:29 pm

gdane5 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
lastch2 wrote:yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)


I'm in the same boat, dude. I guess I don't take enough time to review or I'm not doing enough PTs. I was advised not to take more than 2 PTs a week or risk burnout. Can someone tell me I'll be okay doing 3-4 a week?


You're scoring pretty highly, arent you? If true, then youre ok. The hardcore studying is for people that have a ways to go, like me. :mrgreen:


I'm all over the place. I've scored between 166 and 177. I'd rather score 170 consistently than have a fluke test every once in a while.

User avatar
greyblob
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby greyblob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:48 pm

3|ink wrote:
lastch2 wrote:yikes!! i'm lucky to study on avg 1-2 hours a day including PT's in the average! i obviously need to up my game (this is why i <3 TLS!)


I'm in the same boat, dude. I guess I don't take enough time to review or I'm not doing enough PTs. I was advised not to take more than 2 PTs a week or risk burnout. Can someone tell me I'll be okay doing 3-4 a week?


IMO, you're doing fine. Yes, unto each their own, but I don't think spending most of your waking hours studying for this test is healthy or advised. Besides, it seems like you're already scoring high. I seriously wouldn't worry about it! :)

At this point, I refuse to devote more than 3-4 hours a day studying. I've been so stressed about the LSAT for months, but I'm just so sick of it. I don't want this test to dictate my life anymore...at least for the time being.

....I'm sure I'll freak out in a few hours. hahaha.

User avatar
lamentable
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby lamentable » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:4-6 hours a day, take 1 weekend day off to party



Everyone needs some party time. TLS can cause some neurotic tendencies.

User avatar
OklahomasOK
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby OklahomasOK » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:11 pm

4-6 hours not including PT's. Most of it is review, and rework. If I'm very bored/ extremely motivated, I can sit still for upwards of 8-10. When I miss a problem, I type it up verbatim, then why each answer choice is wrong, and why the correct one is correct. Very time consuming, but it helps (or so I tell myself). With two weeks to go, I'm cutting way down... 2 Hours max.

I'd rather go through hell now studying for this than be stuck in some shit school and having a crappy job.

User avatar
txsunshine
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby txsunshine » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:47 am

OklahomasOK wrote:I'd rather go through hell now studying for this than be stuck in some shit school and having a crappy job.


I think this every day.

User avatar
Blindc1rca
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:07 pm

6-7hrs/day on weekdays, 9-10/day on weekends.

Beast mode for the next 46 days.

Flor de Caña and public nudity in 47.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
dub wrote:I pulled 11 hours the other day.


Jeezus how do you do that? I can't *study* anything for longer than 2-3 hours at a time, nor work on a paper for longer than 4-5 hours at a time, and I think I have a personal max of 7 hours or so of academic work a day.


If all you can tolerate is seven hours of academic work per day, then law is not for you.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Am I the only one here who doesn't study every day? probably at least look at stuff 5 days a week. Some weeks 4. Usually only do substantive studying (4 hours or more) 3 days a week. This equals out to close to 20 hrs a week which seems more than enough to run through all the materials and get fully ready.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: How long do you study for each day?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:13 pm

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: latif, StopLawying, theboringest and 4 guests