So fed up Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dub

New

Re: So fed up

Post by dub » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Anaconda wrote:Ughh just redid the RC section and ended up with a -10. Fell for a lot of traps and missed some easy questions and picked answer choices for some inference questions which were clearly not supported by the text. I think this is the hardest RC section I've ever come across (can't wait to get to the 40's and 50's!).

Thanks for the advice. I think I might just give myself 37 minutes a section and slowly work my way down in time. I think it's especially restrictive with LR and to a lesser extent RC.

I think 37 minute sections and taking the PT at my house or quiet area + playing a virtual proctor in the background sounds like a solid gameplan. Btw, ironically with my -4 in LR I still would have gotten a 160 on this test despite the horrible -30 raw score due to the -16 curve. My last 2 PT's have involved terrible pacing in LR and awful concentration and somehow I've salvaged scores that are still 8 points higher than my diagnostic. It would just be nice to have total focus and good timing once in a while. I just hope 160 represents my absolute worst day.
Do they get easier or harder?

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:07 pm

ly2010 wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
Mike088 wrote: Oh and also, maybe you should take a break and start on your personal statement and other stuff?

At this point I don't want to jinx myself by starting to write personal statements since I'm not where I need to be to even consider applying to any law schools. If I get lower than a 165, I'm retaking and if I can never get to that point, I think I'll bow out and pursue something else.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Supposedly RC gets MUCH harder the further you progress but LGs gets easier.

Not sure about LR. The "hard" questions on the earlier tests (1-30) are pretty damn hard imo.
dub wrote:
Anaconda wrote:Ughh just redid the RC section and ended up with a -10. Fell for a lot of traps and missed some easy questions and picked answer choices for some inference questions which were clearly not supported by the text. I think this is the hardest RC section I've ever come across (can't wait to get to the 40's and 50's!).

Thanks for the advice. I think I might just give myself 37 minutes a section and slowly work my way down in time. I think it's especially restrictive with LR and to a lesser extent RC.

I think 37 minute sections and taking the PT at my house or quiet area + playing a virtual proctor in the background sounds like a solid gameplan. Btw, ironically with my -4 in LR I still would have gotten a 160 on this test despite the horrible -30 raw score due to the -16 curve. My last 2 PT's have involved terrible pacing in LR and awful concentration and somehow I've salvaged scores that are still 8 points higher than my diagnostic. It would just be nice to have total focus and good timing once in a while. I just hope 160 represents my absolute worst day.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Anaconda wrote:Supposedly RC gets MUCH harder the further you progress but LGs gets easier.

Not sure about LR. The "hard" questions on the earlier tests (1-30) are pretty damn hard imo.
dub wrote:

It's all relative I think. LG gets easier until about PT57, then it doesn't get easier per se. I though LG on PT60 (June) was tough if you we're SHARP on all types of LG games. The mulch/ stone game was a throwback and the intern game was time consuming and tough. LR get more "refined" as you get to PT45+, it's tough to describe, but I feel like the PT's above 45 start to play more to intuition and less to methods taught by prep companies. RC stays about the same IMHO (sans Riddled Basins and talk story).

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 pm

How is LR after PT 45? I randomly looked over a few "hard" questions from PT 50 and thought they were A LOT easier than the older LR questions which seem to use subtle tricks and abstract wording to mess you up even though you'll understand the stimulus- the new ones I looked at seemed to be more common sense and definitely more intuition based, which I seem to do a lot better with. Do you find that to be generally true?
OklahomasOK wrote:
Anaconda wrote:Supposedly RC gets MUCH harder the further you progress but LGs gets easier.

dub wrote:

It's all relative I think. LG gets easier until about PT57, then it doesn't get easier per se. I though LG on PT60 (June) was tough if you we're SHARP on all types of LG games. The mulch/ stone game was a throwback and the intern game was time consuming and tough. LR get more "refined" as you get to PT45+, it's tough to describe, but I feel like the PT's above 45 start to play more to intuition and less to methods taught by prep companies. RC stays about the same IMHO (sans Riddled Basins and talk story).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Anaconda wrote:How is LR after PT 45? I randomly looked over a few "hard" questions from PT 50 and thought they were A LOT easier than the older LR questions which seem to use subtle tricks and abstract wording to mess you up even though you'll understand the stimulus- the new ones I looked at seemed to be more common sense and definitely more intuition based, which I seem to do a lot better with. Do you find that to be generally true?
Personally, I didn't notice much difference. There's almost a pattern I feel like after PT45 on LR. You get to expect certain types of questions and tricks. Very much more straightforward, but less to the tips and tricks the LRB teaches you (again, IMO). Do I think LR is more difficult if you jump from PT 30 to PT55? Eh, maybe, maybe not. I think if you work from PT35-->PT60, you'll not notice it. Oddly enough, I found myself missing LR questions not in the typical hard sections (17-22) of the recent tests.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Actually I've read before that the hardest part of the section is usually in the 16-22 range, Steve on lsatblog recommends going from 1-15 and then down from 25-16.

I don't mind straightforwardness for the sake of tips and tricks, especially since they sometimes go to waste at the heat of the moment anyways.

OklahomasOK wrote:
Anaconda wrote:How is LR after PT 45? I randomly looked over a few "hard" questions from PT 50 and thought they were A LOT easier than the older LR questions which seem to use subtle tricks and abstract wording to mess you up even though you'll understand the stimulus- the new ones I looked at seemed to be more common sense and definitely more intuition based, which I seem to do a lot better with. Do you find that to be generally true?
Personally, I didn't notice much difference. There's almost a pattern I feel like after PT45 on LR. You get to expect certain types of questions and tricks. Very much more straightforward, but less to the tips and tricks the LRB teaches you (again, IMO). Do I think LR is more difficult if you jump from PT 30 to PT55? Eh, maybe, maybe not. I think if you work from PT35-->PT60, you'll not notice it. Oddly enough, I found myself missing LR questions not in the typical hard sections (17-22) of the recent tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”