Plateauing on LR

FyodorDouchetoyevsky

Plateauing on LR

Postby FyodorDouchetoyevsky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 am

Hey long time lurker first time poster. There's tons of advice on logic games (and though I'm still at the stage where I can finish 2.5 of them if I'm lucky, I am trying to constantly update my strategies and redo old ones and beat it into my head-it's a pain in the ass but I hope to get there), but how do you guys push through a plateau on LR?

RC I've got down too-I've improved my focus/notating/main point identifying skills, etc. But for some reason, the two PT's I've taken (and individual *timed* sections I've done), I keep averaging the same number incorrect-5 per section. My first, I got 14 wrong total. But the past 6 LR practice sections I've done, I've gotten *exactly* 5 wrong. No matter how much I go over my biggest weaknesses (surprisingly, the formulaic Justifys and Strengthen/Weaken, the ones I thought I knew best), I can't bring my -10 down to a more respectable level. Has anyone gone from a -10 (combined LR sections) down to a more respectable number, say -5 or lower? I've been studying the PowerScore "theory" on the LR types, and I think I understand it, it just seems like a brute force thing. I haven't done a good job pacing and that detriments my later questions, because I have to rush. Any thoughts?

njgal

Re: Plateauing on LR

Postby njgal » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:53 am

I think my first practice test I got -16 (total) and then the second I was -14. I did most of my hw problems (I was in testmasters) but I didn't really start seeing improvement till after 6 weeks of practice. I think that was because I needed to understand all the types of problems and then I was able to notice what types of mistakes I was regularly making. I just think a lot of practice helps. Towards the end I got to the point where I could tell what question was going to be asked before reading the prompt and I was picking out the flaws while reading. I know it is frusturating at times but I really think practice and understanding why you got things wrong will help. On the June 2010 test I got -2 for one section and -3 for another.

FyodorDouchetoyevsky

Re: Plateauing on LR

Postby FyodorDouchetoyevsky » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:23 am

Wow-that's really good improvement. Thanks, I guess I just needed some reassurance. I understand the concepts, it seems like so much of it though is understanding the rhythm and adjusting to time pressures. I'm in PowerScore-there are a lot of practice questions, but I feel like I should really try practicing it under time once I "get" it. It's a lonely, often frustrating journey that requires near-monomania.Thanks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”