138 Diagnostic Test taken cold. Unusual or not? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
notaznguy

Bronze

138 Diagnostic Test taken cold. Unusual or not?

Post by notaznguy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 am

So I'm a rising junior at a Top 25 university and I took a diagnostic exam for the first time today at a local Kaplan center. Although I lurk at TLS forums, I have actually never looked at or taken an LSAT test.

When I took the exam, I did find time to be an issue as I didn't get to finish several questions on the RC or LR. Instead of randomly guessing and bubbling in answers at the last minute, I decided to omit these questions. This, IMO, would provide me the most accuracy of how I would fare as guessing correctly would've given me an inaccurate score.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed that 90% of LSAT takers scored better than I did (it's rather embarrassing actually). I understand a diagnostic is no real indication of how I will ultimately do on test day, but it does tell me where I am at for now. I don't plan to take the actual exam until October 2011, so next year really. I have a whole year to prepare for it. Anyways, in relevance to my question, I just have this uneasy feeling that I scored a god damn 138 on my diagnostic, completely cold or not. Has anyone scored lower or around this and still managed to get somewhere between 165-169? (that's what I"m aiming for btw)

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: 138 Diagnostic Test taken cold. Unusual or not?

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:10 am

You might be mildly retarded...

naw ... jk... diagnostics mean nothing, just study.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:22 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 am

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:What exactly does "rising junior" mean? Can you be a stagnant junior or a falling junior. I pose this questions with all sincerity. Please explain.
He is wittnessing a growth spurt in his early twenties.

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:28 am

Aside from just being unfamiliar with the LSAT, I think your score has a lot to do with the fact that you did not fill in all the bubbles for each section. While I understand your rationale for omitting these questions, remember that you will be able to fill in an answer for every question on test day. So, depending on how many questions you left unanswered, I wouldn't necessarily sweat a 138.

After studying for four months, I raised my score by 15 points (and I answered every question on the diagnostic).

The most important thing is just to commit yourself to studying for at least three or four months before the test (you might burn out if you try to study for a whole year). I found the LSAT blog to be really, really helpful. It has study schedules and lots of information about prep books (the blog is written by an LSAT tutor). Here's the address: http://www.lsatblog.blogspot.com

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notaznguy

Bronze

Post by notaznguy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 pm

It means I'm going to be a junior this upcoming academic school year or it means I'm going to start my junior year this school year.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Study, study, study. Was this Kaplan test real LSAT questions or ones they made up?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:31 pm

notaznguy wrote:So I'm a rising junior at a Top 25 university and I took a diagnostic exam for the first time today at a local Kaplan center. Although I lurk at TLS forums, I have actually never looked at or taken an LSAT test.

When I took the exam, I did find time to be an issue as I didn't get to finish several questions on the RC or LR. Instead of randomly guessing and bubbling in answers at the last minute, I decided to omit these questions. This, IMO, would provide me the most accuracy of how I would fare as guessing correctly would've given me an inaccurate score.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed that 90% of LSAT takers scored better than I did (it's rather embarrassing actually). I understand a diagnostic is no real indication of how I will ultimately do on test day, but it does tell me where I am at for now. I don't plan to take the actual exam until October 2011, so next year really. I have a whole year to prepare for it. Anyways, in relevance to my question, I just have this uneasy feeling that I scored a god damn 138 on my diagnostic, completely cold or not. Has anyone scored lower or around this and still managed to get somewhere between 165-169? (that's what I"m aiming for btw)
138 is on the low side. I would recommend taking a practice test or two untimed (make it an all day event if it takes that long, just don't guess, especially on games) and just focus on how accurate you can be. I'm a firm believer in large gains being possible on the LSAT, but you have a very long way to go to get into the 160's. Devoting 6+ months studying for this test might be needed to make that kind of improvement.
blowhard wrote:Study, study, study. Was this Kaplan test real LSAT questions or ones they made up?
They don't make up questions on any of their Diagnostic or in-class tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm

notaznguy wrote:So I'm a rising junior at a Top 25 university and I took a diagnostic exam for the first time today at a local Kaplan center. Although I lurk at TLS forums, I have actually never looked at or taken an LSAT test.

Don't sweat it. Get the Powerscore Bibles and all the practice tests you can find. Scoring well on the LSAT isn't hard, it's time consuming. Put the time in; it's worth it. Very few people come right out and kill it on the first or second try, so don't despair.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

I think I ended up taking a diagnostic a couple of years ago and got a 130-something.

I was hung over, had two hours of sleep, worked a 10 hour day, pipe was dripping water in the kaplan room 3 feet from me, and the hot kaplan girls were yapping about their weekend plans right outside the door - hardly ideal test conditions.

I was bummed out and didn't think about the LSAT or law school for 6 months and then I decided to take a different diagnostic again (still cold - no prior prep or studying) - this one on a Saturday when I had 8+ hours of sleep. Ended up diagnostic testing at around 153. I took a course and June LSAT-ed (yeah, LSATed is now a verb) at 159, which was about 4-5 points lower than what I had been PT-ing at prior. Going to take the October one as well.

By definition, anybody scoring a 130-something is unusual, since it's in the 10th percentile, but depending on testing conditions, it may not be reflective of your abilities. Clearly my distractions caused about a 20 point difference.

It's a skill-based test. You just have to decide if you have the ability and desire to gain those skills, and if the first test was an accurate measurement of where you are right now.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”