Best long term ways to prepare for the LSAT?

Oleef

Best long term ways to prepare for the LSAT?

Postby Oleef » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 am

Hey everybody, this is my first post on here after lurking for a couple of months. I'll be applying in the 2011 cycle so hopefully I can contribute to the forum and receive help as well!

I took the LSAT for the first time in June of 2010 and got a 160. I definitely did not prepare adequately, didnt spend enough time studying and only took about 4 timed practice test. Very dumb. Im trying to get my act together now in regards to LSAT so that I have a nice score to go along with my strong GPA. I feel as if im capable of a score in the range of 165-169 (my highest during practice was a 165, but nerves definitely got the best of me on test day).

Anyway, im taking it again in June of 2011. Obviously meaning I have a long time to prepare. So I was wondering what is the general consensus on how to best prepare for the LSAT given such a long period of time. As in what kinds of things can you do besides the obvious (bibles, taking PT's) stuff that is done in the 4 months before the test. What kinds of things do you guys recommend to help improve overall on the LSAT, whether its with logic, reading speed, test taking, etc.

For RC, im sure reading and being able to pick apart dense material everyday would be helpful right? but what kind of source material is best for this? i know ppl throw around the Economist often when talking about this...

Ive even heard some say soduku puzzles can help with the brain functions involved in LG.

Any thoughts? How would you prepare if you had a 10 months?

Any input is much appreciated.

ResolutePear

Re: Best long term ways to prepare for the LSAT?

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 am

Oleef wrote:Hey everybody, this is my first post on here after lurking for a couple of months. I'll be applying in the 2011 cycle so hopefully I can contribute to the forum and receive help as well!

I took the LSAT for the first time in June of 2010 and got a 160. I definitely did not prepare adequately, didnt spend enough time studying and only took about 4 timed practice test. Very dumb. Im trying to get my act together now in regards to LSAT so that I have a nice score to go along with my strong GPA. I feel as if im capable of a score in the range of 165-169 (my highest during practice was a 165, but nerves definitely got the best of me on test day).

Anyway, im taking it again in June of 2011. Obviously meaning I have a long time to prepare. So I was wondering what is the general consensus on how to best prepare for the LSAT given such a long period of time. As in what kinds of things can you do besides the obvious (bibles, taking PT's) stuff that is done in the 4 months before the test. What kinds of things do you guys recommend to help improve overall on the LSAT, whether its with logic, reading speed, test taking, etc.

For RC, im sure reading and being able to pick apart dense material everyday would be helpful right? but what kind of source material is best for this? i know ppl throw around the Economist often when talking about this...

Ive even heard some say soduku puzzles can help with the brain functions involved in LG.

Just replace Farmville with LSAT. You get the point.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Oleef wrote:Hey everybody, this is my first post on here after lurking for a couple of months. I'll be applying in the 2011 cycle so hopefully I can contribute to the forum and receive help as well!

Just replace Farmville with LSAT. You get the point.

Funniest avatar and post related picture ever!

ThePrincetonReview

Postby ThePrincetonReview » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Hey Oleef,

I definitely recommend you take some practice tests to help pinpoint your weak areas; then spend time getting up to speed in those areas. You can also use them to build stamina. You can access The Princeton Review's free practice test here http://theprincetonreview.com/free-onli ... tests.aspx. Additionally, this will help you gauge how far you have to go before reaching your goal. You may realize you need a little help from a course, or it may reinforce your decision to self-study. Either way, check out our courses and materials here http://www.princetonreview.com/law/lsat ... ation.aspx. Don't forget, you get a 10% discount for being a member of TLS :)

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at anthonyr@review.com. Good luck!

Best Regards,
Anthony Russomanno
National Director of Educational Partnerships
The Princeton Review

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”