LSAT Progress Journal

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby AverageTutoring » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 pm

eit wrote:RC.

#3. Most similar to which of the following?

I just have to say, I SUCK AT THESE ANALOGIES. Seriously. Is there a trick to them?


I am by no means an authority on reading comp -- my entire plan of attack consists of reading the passage and answering the questions with little to no notes -- but I find that analogy questions are best treated as parallel reasoning questions. Try to diffuse the relationship and then apply that to the given answer choices. In other words, understand the relationship in question in abstract terms and see if you cant find any answer choice that kind of resembles this. Dont simply look at the relationship and look at the answer choices. You need to know how the two things are related in general terms.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby 3|ink » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:35 pm

eit wrote:LR (1)
#14. Weaken. I had this circled as a difficult/unsure question. I had a big < indicator by the right answer to show I thought it was a possible. It refers specifically to advanced hunting tools, whereas the answer I chose (D) just refers to dexterity of hands - that's the kind of mistake I make when I don't really focus and try to relate each answer and realllly look for the answer.


I spent a good 3 minutes on this question when I took the test. I finally ruled out D because I felt that it was attacking a premise of the argument in the stimulus. However, I now think we can rule it out because the answer choice focuses on the prehistoric humans "who first came to stand upright". The conclusion in the stimulus doesn't exclude the possibility that it was later generations of upright standing humans that developed advanced tools. Therefore, answer choice D could very well be consistent with the argument.

It literally took me 10 minutes of staring at the answer choice to figure this out. This was a challenging question.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:28 am

AverageTutoring wrote:
eit wrote:RC.

#3. Most similar to which of the following?

I just have to say, I SUCK AT THESE ANALOGIES. Seriously. Is there a trick to them?


I am by no means an authority on reading comp -- my entire plan of attack consists of reading the passage and answering the questions with little to no notes -- but I find that analogy questions are best treated as parallel reasoning questions. Try to diffuse the relationship and then apply that to the given answer choices. In other words, understand the relationship in question in abstract terms and see if you cant find any answer choice that kind of resembles this. Dont simply look at the relationship and look at the answer choices. You need to know how the two things are related in general terms.


Damn, I hate parallel reasoning questions.

You're right, I do need to try to figure it out more like a parallel question.

And I'm glad someone else had trouble with that question too, 3Link. I spent some time on it, but I could ahve spent more and figured it out, I'm sure.

Also, wow, I got two syllabuses online through Moodle, and omfg getting stressed out about my classes starting and doing that and LSAT and working out and working and ugggggh. I already have a two midterm week, gross! Good news is that my Latin final is NOT during exam period, so I only have a max of 4 exams during exam period. Hopefully one or two of my other classes will not have an exam during exam period. Anyways, also good news, no midterms the week before the LSAT or the week after. I think we actually get the Monday off after the LSAT because it's (Canadian) thanksgiving that weekend.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:42 am

eit wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:
eit wrote:RC.

#3. Most similar to which of the following?

I just have to say, I SUCK AT THESE ANALOGIES. Seriously. Is there a trick to them?


I am by no means an authority on reading comp -- my entire plan of attack consists of reading the passage and answering the questions with little to no notes -- but I find that analogy questions are best treated as parallel reasoning questions. Try to diffuse the relationship and then apply that to the given answer choices. In other words, understand the relationship in question in abstract terms and see if you cant find any answer choice that kind of resembles this. Dont simply look at the relationship and look at the answer choices. You need to know how the two things are related in general terms.


Damn, I hate parallel reasoning questions.

You're right, I do need to try to figure it out more like a parallel question.

And I'm glad someone else had trouble with that question too, 3Link. I spent some time on it, but I could ahve spent more and figured it out, I'm sure.

Also, wow, I got two syllabuses online through Moodle, and omfg getting stressed out about my classes starting and doing that and LSAT and working out and working and ugggggh. I already have a two midterm week, gross! Good news is that my Latin final is NOT during exam period, so I only have a max of 4 exams during exam period. Hopefully one or two of my other classes will not have an exam during exam period. Anyways, also good news, no midterms the week before the LSAT or the week after. I think we actually get the Monday off after the LSAT because it's (Canadian) thanksgiving that weekend.

You're Canadian? I go to UWO :mrgreen:

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:33 pm

...
Last edited by Hedwig on Mon May 02, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm

eit wrote:Awesome! I'm at the University of Victoria, way over on the west coast. Are you looking to go to Canadian or American law schools? I'm probably going to end up going to UVic again if they'll have me because of financial/family reasons, but a lot of my family is American and I've seriously considered moving and applying for US citizenship (easier cause my mom is American). But unless I get a crazy high score that might enable me to get quite a few scholarships, I probably won't end up doing that.

Anyways, I finally figured out my workout/class/study/LSAT schedule! It ended up with lengths swimming twice a week with a friend (basically my social life haha), two gym sessions (one cancelable if I need to do a PT that day), and two PTs a week, one on Monday and Friday.


You don't need a 180 to get into UVic; stop trying so hard! :mrgreen:

I'm sure you'll be fine juggling LSAT studying and school. It'll only be a month into school and we don't have midterms on/around that weekend due to it being Thanksgiving. It's kind of a win-lose situation...yeah, it sucks that there's a major exam the morning of Thanksgiving but it also means there's going to be no school exams to worry about around that time.

I have been set of Dalhousie for some time now. I plan to enrol in their combined JD/MBA program. It's kind of funny because my father originally pushed my brother to head to Dal for his engineering undergrad but his response was "fuck Nova Scotia." And now I actually want to head there :mrgreen:

I think I'm in the same situation as you with the T14...it might be "nice" but unless it's a free ride, it's really not worth it.

What's your undergrad by the way?

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:16 pm

...
Last edited by Hedwig on Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm working on my application right now, and have run into a snag. I've volunteered on and off at the SPCA for a year and a half, but recently haven't been volunteering much. There isn't anyone there that I remember who could vouch for my volunteer work, nor is there really a "head coordinator" I've had much contact with. I suppose I could shoot off an email to lady who sends the emails out about volunteering, and ask if it's possible for her to confirm my participation... but I don't know.

I don't want to not put anything down for volunteering, but I'm concerned that if I put something down and put the reference person they'll be like, what the eff, no I don't know who that is, sorry, etc.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:50 pm

eit wrote:I'm working on my application right now, and have run into a snag. I've volunteered on and off at the SPCA for a year and a half, but recently haven't been volunteering much. There isn't anyone there that I remember who could vouch for my volunteer work, nor is there really a "head coordinator" I've had much contact with. I suppose I could shoot off an email to lady who sends the emails out about volunteering, and ask if it's possible for her to confirm my participation... but I don't know.

I don't want to not put anything down for volunteering, but I'm concerned that if I put something down and put the reference person they'll be like, what the eff, no I don't know who that is, sorry, etc.


Good thing about UVic is that they are concerned primarily with numbers! But in any event, I would contact that lady or anyone else in the organization for that matter, and see if they cant help you out. I doubt they'll say no and even if they do, you are in no worse a position then you are now. Having said that, definately make sure you know they will vouch for you before you put them down as a reference.

Alternatively you could put down your experience with no reference.

eit wrote:Haha, yeah, I know.

I'm a worrier though, about grades and stuff. I want to be practicing as high as possible so that if there are test day drops it's still a respectable score, you know? Their mean/median (I actually honestly haven't taken math since grade 11 and don't even remember the difference) LSAT is about 164, so I feel pretty confident about my chances there. I'd like to score higher so they throw some free money at me, though - I've already got an undergrad scholarship that pays most of my tuition.

Yeah, I know it'll be fine once I get going, but right now I'm in a bit of panic/planning mode, haha. I spent the morning going through the first 10 chapters of Wheelock to prepare for Latin class, I still have 17 to go, ick.

East coast, cool. I'm a huge West Coast person, if I didn't go to UVic I would probably head Washington/Oregon/California.

Yeah, exactly about the T14 thing... it'd be awesome to attend one of those schools, but I'm not going to go 200k into debt to do it.

My undergrad is in English with a minor in Greek and Roman studies, how about you?


If anything you should be less worried then everybody in the room on test day; and therefore expect less of a drop, if any. You've studied all you can, you've scored as high as anyone can possibly score (a 180!) and you're scoring well above the average LSAT for your school of choice. You are good to go woman!

I'm doing a combined program in Civil Engineering and Applied Mathematics. The difference in our majors seems to be reflected in our LSAT strengths/weaknesses :mrgreen: You kill RC but fear LG and I am the reverse. I can score anywhere from a -1 to a -4 on RC, depending on the exam.

What's the maximum bursary from UVic? Oh and by the way, I'm pretty sure UBC is on the West Coast; just in case you forgot about those guys :mrgreen:

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
Good thing about UVic is that they are concerned primarily with numbers! But in any event, I would contact that lady or anyone else in the organization for that matter, and see if they cant help you out. I doubt they'll say no and even if they do, you are in no worse a position then you are now. Having said that, definately make sure you know they will vouch for you before you put them down as a reference.

Alternatively you could put down your experience with no reference.

If anything you should be less worried then everybody in the room on test day; and therefore expect less of a drop, if any. You've studied all you can, you've scored as high as anyone can possibly score (a 180!) and you're scoring well above the average LSAT for your school of choice. You are good to go woman!

I'm doing a combined program in Civil Engineering and Applied Mathematics. The difference in our majors seems to be reflected in our LSAT strengths/weaknesses :mrgreen: You kill RC but fear LG and I am the reverse. I can score anywhere from a -1 to a -4 on RC, depending on the exam.

What's the maximum bursary from UVic? Oh and by the way, I'm pretty sure UBC is on the West Coast; just in case you forgot about those guys :mrgreen:


Yeah, haha, gotta love that numbers focus. I've always been one of those people who have great numbers and like it when things are based on numbers, not softs, haha.

I've fired off an email explaining the situation. If no one can help me, I might put it down and explain why I have no available reference. They can take or leave that as they will.

Expect the worst, hope for the best! That's my method. Usually works okay.

It is funny how our majors reflect our strengths - but then, you spend a couple years honing one set of skills, you'd hope it would help your performance on a test that needs those skills.

I think it's 10k. As long as I get a 7.5GPA (like a 3.8 or so I think), I'll have 5k to use for half the law school tuition already. And yes, I know UBC is on the West Coast, but I'm not that enamored of Vancouver, to be honest - I quite prefer Washington or Oregon over Vancouver.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Listen OP, provided you hit 170+, only apply to Berkely on up. If you hit mid 170s, you are in everywhere except maybe Yale. Enjoy.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:34 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Listen OP, provided you hit 170+, only apply to Berkely on up. If you hit mid 170s, you are in everywhere except maybe Yale. Enjoy.


It will definitely bring up a few dilemmas for me if I DO score 170+. I'm going to have to really think about what I want to do.

In Canada, you can apply to law school after three years of undergrad. Thus, right now I am going into third year, but applying to the only law school in Canada I really want to go to (the one in my hometown). I'm fairlyyyy certain I will get in there.

If I get a very awesome score, I'm going to have to consider if I
- want to spend an extra year in school overall, to finish my degree.
- will be able to get scholarships at law schools I want to go into besides my hometown (i.e. in the US)
- if I can afford moving to another country (international tuition, yikes) and paying for more expensive law schools
- if I want to move away from my family at this time (my grandfather has Alzheimer's and I'd like to stay close for awhile).

I'm absolutely certain most people in my life would think I was kind of crazy if I wanted to go to the States for law school. My mother especially would think I was retarded.

It's also a lot more work to apply for schools in the States - not that this would be a factor, but I'd have to think about a lot more than just my numbers, and I don't feel like there's a guarantee to get in.

I don't know. It's kind of like a pipe dream for me to apply to the T14. I can get really excited about the prospect, and I honestly would prefer living in the States - but then I think about practical considerations like money, family, etc, and I'm not 100% sure it would be the best choice. I haven't actually talked seriously with anyone in my actual life about going to law school in the States because they would think I was crazy.

So it's kind of a big cost-benefit analysis or what have you. Lots to think about. I'm just going to get my score though and we'll work from there.

EDIT:

Um, so I just started researching animal law programs (as this is the field I would love to go in). This is reallllly making me think, now.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby yzero1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm glad to see another Canadian prepping hard for the LSAT. Keep up the hard work and you'll do great wherever you end up :)

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Given your progress OP, getting a 170+ is definitely within reach, you can do it. As to going to law school in the US, it really depends on personal preference and circumstance.

Work and kill the LSAT first.

After that you need to think about what kind of law you want to do. If you want biglaw, then applying to U of Toronto (which is tops in Canada I think?), as well as top law schools in the US makes a ton of sense, even if you have to pay tuition. If you want PI, many top US schools (maybe U of T in Canada too) have debt forgiveness programs. So think about what kind of law you might be interested in (also remeber that the top US law schools have very good programs all around). Good luck!

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:42 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Given your progress OP, getting a 170+ is definitely within reach, you can do it. As to going to law school in the US, it really depends on personal preference and circumstance.

Work and kill the LSAT first.

After that you need to think about what kind of law you want to do. If you want biglaw, then applying to U of Toronto (which is tops in Canada I think?), as well as top law schools in the US makes a ton of sense, even if you have to pay tuition. If you want PI, many top US schools (maybe U of T in Canada too) have debt forgiveness programs. So think about what kind of law you might be interested in (also remeber that the top US law schools have very good programs all around). Good luck!


It's weird, I felt like it was all Americans on here! (Just because it's focused on the top American law schools, I suppose.) But all the Canadians are coming out of the woodwork.

Honestly I think the "work and kill the LSAT first" is really the advice I need to take. If I receive a great score and my GPA is kept high enough, I think it will be worthwhile to investigate schools in the States. However, I'm going to have to make some tough choices - but since it all depends on my LSAT, I need to get that done before I can do much more than research.

What I really want to do is animal law. I've been researching the top schools for animal law, and have mixed feelings about the results. My hometown university has a Student Animal Defense (? Forget the last word) lol, but no actual Animal Law course. Lewis and Clark University in Oregon, while in the 60's for its ranking, looks to have an AMAZING animal law focus. However, it seems to be quite regional. Its admission standards are also slightly lower and thus I would HOPE that by being over the standard, I'd receive something in financial aid. If I were already American, the choice between a perhaps more regional, lower ranked school, and a T14 school that at least has an animal law class, might be easier. However, considering the added costs of being an international student, the waters become quite murky.

Although I still need to research (starting November 1st or whenever our LSAT marks come out!), it would ultimately look quite nice to me if I finished undergrad, then applied to L&C and received quite a lot of scholarship money. It also depends on what my undergrad offers me in terms of scholarship money (um, or acceptance, let's not count those chickens).

Anyways. I should go chill out and watch Legally Blonde.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Did a Prep Test in the early morning hours (9.30 am, an hour after I had woken up). Feel very pleased with the results.

PT# 47. 97 raw, 178 scaled. -2LR, -0RC, -1LR, -0LG. My experimental section was from PT 14, RC, scored a -1.

LR.

#22. Weaken. It's starting to look like I really need to re-read what the Bible says on Weaken questions. Hmm. I guess the right answer attacks the part where it's the US's fault that the pesticides are used on agricultural products used in the United States. I tried to discredit the argument with B, but I guess that didn't work. I can see how it would make the conclusion/argument less strong with C. Alright LSAT.

#26. Strengthen. Lol. Oh, this makes more sense now that I re-read the stimulus. It says that those whose composition skills had increased had also learned to write letters the most automatically. I chose an answer saying those who already had high automatic skills learned to write better, rather than the one that supported the correlation by saying those who learned to be the most automatic also learned to compose better. Ah, well, live and learn.

RC - No errors.
Notes - Good job on going with instinct on question 8 - turned out to be right. As well as question 11. VERY GOOD. Makes RC much easier.

LR.

#23. Evaluate the Argument. Argh, I liked the answer that was actually correct. I liked it almost better than my answer. Go with gut!

LG - No errors.
Notes - Felt VERY GOOD about getting -0 on this section. I was quite stressed about 2 games and really didn't understand one game at first - it was nice to get a game that challenged me so I could more accurately mimic the panic/don't panic/solve questions approach I'll have to take if I get a challenging game on the real thing. I stayed calm, was AWARE of not spending a horrendous amount of time on the second game, which confused me, but I went on to do further questions and sort of "figured out" the inference I needed. On the fourth game, I didn't understand a rule (phrased weirdly) but managed to get most correct - realized I had the rule wrong on question where the inference I had made from the rule was shown to be wrong - so I skipped that question, kept going, then kept re-reading the rule, figured it out, and save myself from a -2 on that one game.

Additionally, I REALLY LIKED the third game. And the first. But the third game - you had to set up the numerical distribution, and once you had that, you were so golden! It was like

S: J _ _
T: R O
V: _ (_) /J
X: J F O R
Z: _ (_) /J

And then it was so easy man.

Very pleased with my prep test today, I hope I can keep this up.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:40 pm

First day of third year (junior year to y'all who use that terminology, I personally prefer the rather British/Harry Potterish third year, of course).

I am so tired, I'm probably going to sleep between 9 and 10 even though I could stay up to 11 if I liked.

I also have an incredible craving for a diet soda. OR a lemonade Vitamin Water.

Just going to do maybe 1-4 games sections (depending how sleepy I am when I start/how slow), repeats, just to make sure I'm doing harder ones alongside the easier ones in the 40's and 50's.

Friday is PT day, PT 52 maybe? According to my schedule, I only have room for 9 more. I guess I should only take 50's ones from now on UNLESS they're not part of my scheduled ones (i.e. I do one NOT on a Mon/Wed and Friday). Mkay, PT 52 on Friday.

EDIT: Just did the games for PT 12. They're a re-do, of course, so not necessarily indicative of my skills - however, I did go nice and quickly through most (that flask game is the devil!). Found my linear game was MUCH better diagramed this time around. I didn't "remember" the game really - unless subconsciously. But I looked at my scribbled diagram on the other one and the new one was much cleaner. I'm hoping this means my diagramming skills have improved or something. But I managed to place the block in the game to make it much easier (the G _ _ S > U block provides a lot of context!).

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 am

All I did today was the games section from PT 13 during a break between classes. -1 - misread the question. Could be true, not can't be true, lol.

Tomorrow is PT 52 with a games section from PT 14 (working my way through the stack of photocopies). They're review, but I do feel like I have developed a better "games sense" if that makes any sense.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:31 pm

Yay, this is paying off! 180 today on PT 52. -1LR, -0LG, -0LR, -1RC. Don't have the book for the experimental games section so not sure what I got on that.

Review of mistakes later.

Pleased with improvement in speed for games. Even though I struggled with these a little, and somehow read a rule right, then wrong, I still got -0. That feels good.

Also, a -0 in LR? YES. I NEED to keep those suckers consistent since there are TWO of them in case LG gets crazy or I just mess up somewhere.

Next PT will be Monday or Wednesday, I believe! Section work in between. PT 53 is coming up next.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:38 pm

eit wrote:Yay, this is paying off! 180 today on PT 52. -1LR, -0LG, -0LR, -1RC. Don't have the book for the experimental games section so not sure what I got on that.

Review of mistakes later.

Pleased with improvement in speed for games. Even though I struggled with these a little, and somehow read a rule right, then wrong, I still got -0. That feels good.

Also, a -0 in LR? YES. I NEED to keep those suckers consistent since there are TWO of them in case LG gets crazy or I just mess up somewhere.

Next PT will be Monday or Wednesday, I believe! Section work in between. PT 53 is coming up next.


Would you mind lying about your future PT scores? You are making the rest of us look bad :P

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Lol it's only what happens on test day that counts.

And only 8 ish more PTs left! I think I'll probably end up taking about 10, but not sure.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:13 am

All I did today was 3/4 of PT 15's LGs. I didn't actually time myself, just sat on my floor and did them, and skipped that STUPID airplane radar zone game since I've tried it like 5 times and I hate it. Of the three games I did, I got -0. Checked against original answers, I originally got 2 wrong on 2 of the games I did. So that's nice to know.

I'm not sure if it's because of my familiarity with these games (I'm re-doing ones I've done once before, in early July) or just because I've somehow made a leap in LG lately, but it seems to be coming a lot easier and quicker. I'm making a few more deductions "in my head," shall we say.

Also, note to self - if you feel like you're completely going sideways, LOOK AT THE RULES AGAIN. It's likely you misread or misdiagrammed a rule. If your diagram is right, then you won't have that weird feeling and you'll be able to eliminate answers.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Gemini » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:34 pm

eit wrote:All I did today was 3/4 of PT 15's LGs. I didn't actually time myself, just sat on my floor and did them, and skipped that STUPID airplane radar zone game since I've tried it like 5 times and I hate it. Of the three games I did, I got -0. Checked against original answers, I originally got 2 wrong on 2 of the games I did. So that's nice to know.

I'm not sure if it's because of my familiarity with these games (I'm re-doing ones I've done once before, in early July) or just because I've somehow made a leap in LG lately, but it seems to be coming a lot easier and quicker. I'm making a few more deductions "in my head," shall we say.

Also, note to self - if you feel like you're completely going sideways, LOOK AT THE RULES AGAIN. It's likely you misread or misdiagrammed a rule. If your diagram is right, then you won't have that weird feeling and you'll be able to eliminate answers.



In general, I love those weird feelings lol because I get them, too. But I also hate them when you're doing a timed test and you feel panicky because going back would waste time.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:35 pm

I just try to tell myself that going forward with a diagram that doesn't work or the wrong idea of the rules in your head is just going to get you wrong answers, so fix it first, then you can go fast.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 pm

PT 46 today. It was kind of an impromptu decision (scheduled PTs are Wednesdays and Fridays), but I felt like making my day super long today, so whatever! Since it was an impromptu PT, I was a little lax with myself. Only 4 sections, although I did bring an experimental and afterwards did it on the bus (PT 16's games, -0). I also really did a horrid thing with timing where I let myself go on to the next section once I was done the first section... this ended up being after 20 minutes in each LR whoops haha. Gotta learn to wait those out.

Anyways, the results: 97 raw, 179 scaled. -1RC, -0LR, -1LR, -0LG.

RC.

#1. I didn't really like ANY answer choice for this one. At all. Whatsoever, really. Also, re-reading the answer I chose, I have no freaking idea why I chose it, it's OBVIOUSLY wrong. B seemed like a contender but I thought "ordinary conception of this notion" was a really weird way to phrase it - like, wasn't it talking about what the notion should be not what it ordinarily is... um, anyways, that weird phrasing just turned me off that answer choice, but in hindsight it seems less wrong than the others.

LR.
#22. Ooooh this one was difficult for me, I had no real idea. I guess I can see how it works now, but I was really confused by this question. I was able to eliminate two wrong answers, thats good. I eliminated, then contender-d the right answer. But if the average age of people has risen, and the amount of people under the age 18 has also risen, then it would support the argument that older people are moving in.

It's funny, on the first LR section I was thinking to myself how numbers and percentages don't show up as much!! Haha, and then got my ass kicked by... a sort of numbers and percentage-y kind of question.

LG - WHOA. Step back. I hated the fourth game. I think I've even seen/done it before somewhere, but it still messed me up. I got that M or P had to be x3 but I didn't realize another had to be x2. The inferences just weren't popping out at me.

The first two games though, were SO FREAKING EASY. You got an F>L>M>H, with a G that must be 3 or 4, and a P that can really go anywhere. The second, I don't know, maybe it was just EASIER than other games of that type, (you know with the IF THEN kind of shit in the answers), but usually I get tripped up by those questions, these ones I was going through the answer choices and like, visualizing, almost? In my head? If that makes any sense. Anyways. The rain/precipitation threw me a little because it was a double diagram (you had to track both precipitation and town order) but I just tried to calm myself down because seriously it's okay, it's easy if you just stay focused.

Then the stupid game that on several questions I crossed out all the answer choices and had to go through them again lol.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], BobBoblaw, dontsaywhatyoumean, Instrumental, Macallan and 10 guests