LSAT Progress Journal

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:30 am

I've decided to join the club and start a thread for the purpose of recording my study progress for the October 2010 LSAT.

A little background: I'm 20, going into third year undergrad, currently have a 4.10 LSAC GPA, aiming for a 170+ score (isn't everybody?). My personal favorite section right now is Reading Comprehension. I have varied opinions on Logical Reasoning (usually depending on what I got my last LR section), and I'm struggling somewhat with the time constraints on Logic Games and controlling the time related panic/stress in the LG section.

So far my scores stand as follows:

June 2007 Diagnostic: 159
Prep Test #19: 168
Prep Test #20: 173
Superprep C: 175
Prep Test #7: 176
Prep Test #21: 174
Prep Test #48: 165 (Before the Bibles came into my life.)
Prep Test #25: 173

I'm aiming for about a -2 each section, or a -8 all around. I'm meeting that or exceeding it generally in RC. LR is crazy, varying between -1 to -4. LG is touch and go. Given enough time, I can get 100% accuracy. Under time constraints, I've gotten anywhere from -0 to -5 or so.

Let the games begin.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:46 am

TAG

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:50 am

4.10 GPA? ~175 LSAT? Have fun at Cooley.

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 am

Hannibal wrote:4.10 GPA? ~175 LSAT? Have fun at Cooley.


I'm sure eit could get into Thomas Jefferson which is far superior to Cooley. Douchebag...

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:34 am

I just finished my Prep Test of the day, #38, which got quite skewed when my friend decided we had to meet 45 minutes earlier than planned, so I took a very extended break between sections 3 and 4 and thus this score isn't very representational one way or another, but anyways.

-3LR, -4LG, -2RC, -2LR. 89/171.

LR Section 1:
#6. Flaw in the Reasoning.
#20. Most Strongly Support (Inference) - Crossed out the right answer. Ouch.
#21. Inference. - Crossed out the right answer again... whoops. Must take more care.

LG Section 2:
First Game: Linear. Took way too long to diagram this stuff. Also, my diagram was confusing.
#3. If, then question. I'm at a loss to explain what went wrong here. My diagram next to the question doesn't even seem to have applied the new local rule properly.

Second Game: Um, grouping, rotating, one of those completely lacking all structure that make me want to die games. Evidenced in my getting two out of six questions wrong, lol.
#10. I just reviewed this as I couldn't figure out what went wrong. Whhhat a stupid mistake, completely forgot to apply a rule. Frank cannot go first, Frank must harvest, harvesting cannot occur first.
#12. L must go first because F can't and G can't go before F goes thus, L is the only one left. Amazing how easily you can figure this stuff out when you're reviewing, but not when you're actually doing the test.

Third Game: Grouping.
#19. I was rushing. I don't think I tested enough because I just rushed to go to the next game, and I did it all in my head. That was obviously a mistake.

Fourth Game: I like to call this type of game WTF. I also misread a rule (well, only remembered half the rule) so I thought it was identify the templates but really... well, I guess it could have been identify the templates but with 8 templates instead of the 4 I made up. So that was a waste of time. Miraculously, I got all the questions right on this one.

Reading Comprehension, Section Three.
#17. Had two answers left, chose the wrong one. It was a detail question, but one of the really weird ones where they rephrase the details so it's hard to pick them out.
#27. My eyes were glazing over, it was one of those sets with all five answers much the same only they have the words disapproval and approval in different spots, ugh. Crossed out the right answer. Whoops.

Logical Reasoning, Section Four.
#7. Principle EXCEPT. I guess I didn't identify the principle correctly. My brain was kind of mushy at this point.
#14. So confused by this one, I just chose an answer and called it a day. Flaw in the Reasoning.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:21 pm

That's an impressive GPA.. do you by any chance go to a Canadian university?

Looks like you're almost at your goal already. Keep it up :)

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:17 pm

I've had a renewable scholarship since I started university, which pays for my tuition each year if I get a 4.0 GPA, so I never really had a chance to slack off in first year or anything. I think that's why it's so high, lol.

In other news, I just attacked Prep Test #36, with mixed results.

Overall: -2LR, -0RC, -3LR, -2LG. 94 raw, 174 scaled.

LR and I are no longer friends. I think I need to pull out the LR Bible again and read through some of the concepts I'm consistently missing. I also need to work on my concentration/endurance, and not get bored halfway through.

RC... FINALLY the mythical -0 section we've all been waiting for. Well, I've been waiting for. I love RC. It's so beautifully simplistic. Even that weird ass science passage that discussed hormones controlling how thirsty you are.

LG. Two stupid mistakes. One question I could not for the life of me figure out between two choices (that obviously shouldn't happen) and one question I just kind of misread, I guess. Same game, a conditional logic chain kind of game. I guess they call those in/outs. Much less frustrating/better results than the last in/out game I played, though.

Section 1, LR:
#18. The conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?
I'm kind of confused by this one. Apparently the right answer is "The data reported in the recent study are correct." Except, in the conclusion, it states, "and, if the data reported in the recent study are correct, moderate exercise lowers blood cholesterol levels." Okay, so maybe the right answer is just re-stating that assumption DISCUSSED in the argument, but ... it's not really an assumption, is it? I mean, I would class that as more of a qualifier. Like, they qualify the argument. But maybe that's just pointing out an assumption and I just missed an easy point, haha.
#23. E. Again I'm not really sure why this is correct. I'll do some searching on the internet later to find a solution if possible.

Section 2, RC:
Ah, RC, the love of my LSAT life. I quite liked the passages on this one. The first was amusing as it discussed internet forums and how they function like communities (lol) and discussed common abbreviations, such as PMFCI. Yeah, everybody knows what PMFCI means, right?
The second passage brought a smile to my face just because the author they were discussing was called BINNS. And every time it was like "Binns would likely agree" I was happy. Third passage was crazy - some shit about hormones and membranes and dehydration! Did quite a bit of re-reading here. The fourth passage was nice - I could understand/get into everything it was saying, which is not always the case with all the law passages (see intellectual versus institutional authority, ugh who cares).

Section 3, LR:
#15. Illustrates the Principle. Hmm, I think the conclusions of the one I picked and the stimulus didn't really match. I chose a "whether or not" and the answer was a more definitive positive benefit.
#16. Assumption. Hmm. I had whittled it down to two answers, and chose the wrong one. Is a reptile an animal?
#19. Ooooh, I see now. It was a Parallel Flaw in the Reasoning question. They flipped the two, not simply, likes x not y, so no one who likes x likes y, it was more likes x not y, so no one who likes y likes x. Aha. I should have abstracted the flaw/paid a little more attention there.

Section 4, LG:
#2. I think I see. The way it's structured is that you can have tangerines, and not kiwis, kiwis and not tangerines and kiwis, and kiwis AND tangerines. I made the classic error of assuming the absence/presence kind of mix up there. Okay that probably doesn't sound classic, but like - when x is NOT here, y is, so the contrapositive is when y is not here, x is - but none of that precludes xy being there together. Must remember that for the future in/out games that will surely occur.
#3. I think I misread the list and/or started crossing off answers for different reasons halfway through. I distinctly remember saying "kiwis and pears can't go together, that's wrong" except I was LOOKING for a wrong answer.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Today I'm just attacking individual sections of LR. It's not going so well. Stuck at around -3 again.

Tomorrow I'm going to do an "as close as possible to test conditions" kind of test. I'm going to take it at my university (where I'll be taking the LSAT). I'll go lurk the Social Sciences and Mathematics building to try to figure out where room A120 is to check out the testing situation. If that room is available, I *might* commandeer it - but then I risk being kicked out if a class is scheduled in there. So it might be more prudent to find a study area in that building so I'm used to the building but my test won't be interrupted.

I'm going to use ... hmm. I'll use a newer test so I can write out my honesty oath lol, with an older section as the experimental. I should probably bring my laptop so that I can use Cacophony or the Proctor thing. I like Cacophony better because it has pencil skritching. I'll take Prep Test #43, with a section from 10 Actual.

I should bring the same snacks I plan on eating during the test. I think I'm going to eat a banana + a protein bar (probably a Clif bar, so yummy) - I'll probably just pick up a Genisoy bar at the cafe as I'm not going grocery shopping between now and then. + lemonade flavor Vitamin Water. Not that I seriously expect the vitamins to do anything - I just like the taste haha. I'll eat my protein rich kashi cereal in the morning, and a banana before I go into my "testing center" zone haha.

I *should* go to bed at 10 and get up at 6 like I'm going to the day of - it really depends what time I get home tonight, though.

Cool, I'm excited to simulate this more closely. I'm anticipating feeling a little thrown off/more pressured by the most intense situation (have been doing most tests at my dining room table or in my study), so it'll be interesting to see how that affects my score.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Obviously I slept in and didn't make it to my university today. Can you say summer sleep schedule anyone?

Today I took PT 27 instead of 42 because I didn't do the simulation properly. I did add a 5th section, and did 5 sections without a break. It's hilarious, my mom called and was talking to my brother and he was like "she's doing her test, so I don't think you can talk to her" hahaha. And then Costco phoned about my contacts and he wa slike !SORRY! when he gave me the phone haha.

Overall I scored a 91 raw, 175 scaled. -0LR, -5LG, -4RC, -1LR. I had an experimental RC to start with, I think that was a -2 or something.

So, first of all, -0LR!!!!! The holy triumvirate of -0's has been accomplished at least once for each. So cheered up about my results on the LR on this test, because I was so frustrated with my progress on LR that kept going back and forth. I was very focused on that first section, very concentrated, and I think that's what helped out. The second set, the -1, I'm still really happy about, and I was lacking a little in focus as it was the fifth section, and I was kind of like "10 questions done... 15 more to go" etc throughout the whole thing.

Reading Comprehension - wow, I just fell apart there! I'm going to comfort myself with the fact that this test had a very nice curve which must mean it was a little more difficult. That freaking Hopi names section brought me down. I felt less confident on a lot of those answers, so that makes sense. I think I was bored as hell reading that passages as well.

Snakes and lizards was alright. I spent too much time on it and ended up having not enough time for the car game which was a more difficult game for me. I'm sure I just missed seeing an inference - result of not having much time to look at it, so I was kind of just gunning through questions with my basic diagram and it didn't work out that well, lol. I.e. only 2 right on that game. I just had like 5 minutes to do it and I didn't feel like I could work on my diagram anymore. I also made a COMPLETELY stupid mistake on the last question - I was like, it has to be in 136.. oh wait that's not an answer... it can be in 135... DUH then it MUST be only in 1 and 3. Missed an easy mark there. Alright. Once I had time to pound out a few hypos, it was okay. Spent too much time doing hypos for snakies and lizards.

I have to say, I really HATE the ones where you have to keep track of two sets of information at once. The worst was that one where it was like songs that are folk, rap etc so it was like you had L (FG) R (GH) M (LF) or whatever and you had to match the l's and f's and shit on either side. I really disliked that.

I need better time management skills on LG. I need to start waiting out the ends of my sections in LR and RC though. I end up with about 10 minutes left and I just tend to skip ahead, but I should get used to having that time. I should at the very least, review all difficult questions and double check my bubbling.

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Ahhh PT 27. Very impressive on the -1 LR, I thought the 1st LR section was very difficult, possibly the hardest I've take so far - the last 11 questions are brutal. Also, the RC is deceptively difficult, the wrong answer choices are very, very good so don't worry about it.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Anaconda wrote:Ahhh PT 27. Very impressive on the -1 LR, I thought the 1st LR section was very difficult, possibly the hardest I've take so far - the last 11 questions are brutal. Also, the RC is deceptively difficult, the wrong answer choices are very, very good so don't worry about it.


That Prep Test was on crack. And thank you, it's so weird how scores fluctuate, isn't it? I was getting maybe -3 or -4 on LR and then all of a sudden on a hard prep test, -0 and -1. Gotta love the LSAT.

I agree, that RC was killer and I had a lot of those "two answers left, picked the wrong one" kind of deal.

---

Today, I did nothing! Well, that's not technically true. I reviewed chapters 1-3 in Wheelock and did some flash cards. I don't think i-stems are gonna help me on the LSAT, though.

Tomorrow I work until 1.00, I probably have enough time to do a prep test between 1.45-4.00. We'll see how I do on little sleep as it's unlikely I'll get to bed by 10.30 tonight and I have to be up by 6.30. It'll be extra incentive to start fixing my sleep schedule!

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:01 am

GAMES I AM GONNA KILL YOU.

That is all.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello newer LSAT tests. You suck.

I scored an embarrassing 169 on PT #43. Anything below 170's is unacceptable to me now, it sucks haha, but my expectations have risen higher than my ability. PT 43, you are a humbling influence.

Let's examine this sucker in detail.

Section 1, RC:
#5. I had the right answer not crossed out, but not picked, either. Damn. I guess the thing I missed was that just drilling past groundwater into unpotable water and/or petroleum might cause contamination, not just oil/wells.

#21. Hmm. The answer I chose I didn't like 100%. Again, I had the right answer not crossed out but not chosen, and I had circled the question as difficult. I think the answer I chose was too far in scope.

#22. I chose a too strong answer. I didn't like the term "common law presumption" when I picked it, but I went with it anyways. That was stupid. Do not forget the liking/intuitive principle involved in RC! I had a big notation (usually the size of my little marks grows when I like an answer a lot) - why did I cross that one out?? Damn. It sounds very nice and much better than the one I chose when I read it NOW.

#26. Hmm. I crossed this right answer out. Duh. Mis-read. It would have been correct had the answer stipulated FACULTY ORIENTED not RESOURCE BASED, learn to read, idiot.

Section 2, LR.

6. Hmm. I can sort of see why this is correct - and why what I chose was incorrect. Mine sort of strengthened/balanced the argument - not really affecting either side. If it had said rights of criminals were more important, then that would have weakened it. If it said rights of victims... what the fuck? Why did I choose that answer, I must have been on crack. Major RC fail. Right to victims to COMPENSATION? That has NOTHING to do with the topic ahahaha whatever.

15. God, I puzzled over this. I had crossed out 2/5 and the right answer of course is one of the ones I crossed out. I seriously couldn't understand this question, whatsoever. This was like a weird resolve the paradox but in a - add a statement to this girl's statement that makes it make sense - or something. I thought the right answer was too far out of scope, assuming too much - but I guess this one was adding new information to the statement, so something new could be okay.

19. I had two answers left, and chose the wrong one. AGAIN. Seems to be the main problem with this test. This was a point of agreement question. I still don't like the right answer - I guess Robert says they're troubled and that's why they're nostalgic, whereas Marc says they're nostalgic and that shows how they regret the current situation.. . I think my choice reached too far beyond what is actually stated.

20. I liked, then crossed out the right answer. I just misunderstood or maybe... I don't know. I guess my answer is dumb because the argument already accepts it's a cause and not ALWAYS the cause, so it doesn't overlook that. D was correct but I felt weird about it because there was nothing about significantly reducing anything but it talks about increasing and I don't know. Ehhhh hate this question.

Section 3, LR.
24. I think I should have drawn out this question. If the answer had been all recent university graduates... damn. Shell game. I had the right answer indicated as a positive.

Section 4, LG.
6. Hmm, I got the global question for the first set up wrong. Good thing I didn't refer back to it ever! Why are you wrong, you little snot. Ahhh, mixed up my rules. Also, didn't check the last answer even if I had crossed out the other answers - had I checked it briefly, it obviously would have been wrong!

12. I switched two rules instead of just the one it told me to switch.

15. This game confused the hell out of me because I KNEW I was missing something but didn't know what. MUST pay MORE attention during rules reading first time! I figured out what I was missing later but it didn't help me much. I changed my answer to this question like 3 times. I had it right the 2nd time.

18. I imposed a condition that didn't exist (limited to only 3) and thus a couple of the earlier questions I was answering wrongly - I was able to fix it on the other ones but not this one cause I just didn't have enough time.

Stupid RC fails all over the board.

I am thoroughly displeased with today's results, ugh.

Let's see. 8 weeks left until the LSAT. EEK, that's kind of scary! In exactly 8 weeks, I'll be taking the test for real. AKA two months. It seems shorter when we're talking weeks. Anyways, I have 23 completely untouched tests left, not including #60 which I should probably order and also not #44 because Amazon didn't have it and I didn't bother to get it somewhere else. If I was going to take a prep test every other day between now and October 9th, I'd need 28 tests. But that's completely unreasonable based on my work/school schedule in September, so I don't need to worry, really.

OKAY. So, this schedule has me doing four a week for the remainder of August - using up the older tests, but also with at least one newer test a week to make sure my scores on the older tests aren't just because those are easier/to ease into using the newer tests.

Then in September, the first week of school I can probably manage 3, but after that I'll drop it down to 2 formal prep tests a week + section work hopefully daily. If I get PT 60, then I'll do 56, 57, 58 Sept 26 - Oct 2, if I don't then 56, 57 that week and 58, 59 the week after.

WEEK OF: Aug 15 - Aug 21
Prep Tests: 26, 27, 35, 45

WEEK OF: Aug 22 - Aug 28
Prep Tests: 28, 30, 34, 46

WEEK OF: Aug 29 - Sept 4
Prep Tests: 32, 33, 47, 49

WEEK OF: Sept 5 - Sept 11
Prep Tests: 37, 50, 51

WEEK OF: Sept 12 - Sept 18
Prep Tests: 52, 53

WEEK OF: Sept 19 - Sept 25
Prep Tests: 54, 55

WEEK OF: Sept 26 - Oct 2
Prep Tests: 56, 57 (58?)

WEEK OF: Oct 3 - Oct 9
Prep Tests: 58, 59 (60)?

LSWin
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby LSWin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Hope you don't mind if I steal your Final 8-week plan. I've just entered the realm of 168/169 and am going to attempt to ride this new found wave of confidence and strategy into the 171-173 range. Any tips on how to do so from your own personal experience would be greatly appreciated. My progression has been 159 (not cold, after much self studying)...164...168...169 (sick that day, but went for it anyway). I've been around these scores for individual sections lately: -1 or 2 for LG, -2 or 3 for LR (each), -4 or 5 for RC

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:52 pm

jxtxdx wrote:Hope you don't mind if I steal your Final 8-week plan. I've just entered the realm of 168/169 and am going to attempt to ride this new found wave of confidence and strategy into the 171-173 range. Any tips on how to do so from your own personal experience would be greatly appreciated. My progression has been 159 (not cold, after much self studying)...164...168...169 (sick that day, but went for it anyway). I've been around these scores for individual sections lately: -1 or 2 for LG, -2 or 3 for LR (each), -4 or 5 for RC


You're welcome to steal my Final 8 Week Plan (capitalizing that final makes it sound more intimidating haha). However, you should note that it's really not based on anything in particular, just what tests I have left to take and how many I can do based on my personal schedule.

It depends what tests you're scoring 168 or 169 on. I'm not sure if this trend from today will continue or if it's merely an outlier (please god!) haha, but I might be in the same situation you are. Hopefully I'll be back in the 170's consistently, but eh, we'll see. My progression kind of leapt from the mid 160's to the 170's after the Bibles, and drilling certain types of games and stuff.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby 3|ink » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:49 am

Was the 169 a 5 section test? That may be the real difference. If that isn't it, it could just be a bad day. We all have 'off' days. If a 169 is your worst, consider yourself lucky. I went from a 177 to a 166.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:26 am

It was a 4 section test with the added distraction after the first section of my mom and brother coming home, going in the pool, generally yelling back and forth at each other from various areas of the house, having to get up and get my dog to come back inside so my mom wouldn't throw a fit, then having her cell phone alarm go off every 5 minutes for the last 15 mins of games lol.... + being tired.

I am hoping those all excuse the 1 point loss that brought me down in the 160's. I just don't like the look of 6's. Thank you for stopping by/making me feel better about that silly 169.

I also realize that there might be people who'd really like to score a 169, so I feel kind of bad calling it yucky but I am super competitive with myself and don't like not being SUPER AWESOME at things (tis a fault) so when I'm not SUPER AWESOME at things, I do not feel cheerful. :(

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:30 am

Eit, are you using never-before seen/used PTs for your experimental sections? I'm seriously considering using older sections that I used for drills but not for PTs (so it won't be nearly as easy), I don't know if it's worth sacrificing a few PTs when the intent of the experimental is to build endurance - for me I'm also considering saving 6-7 PTs for a possible retake if necessary, but it looks like you might have a legit shot at avoiding that. :P

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:39 am

Anaconda wrote:Eit, are you using never-before seen/used PTs for your experimental sections? I'm seriously considering using older sections that I used for drills but not for PTs (so it won't be nearly as easy), I don't know if it's worth sacrificing a few PTs when the intent of the experimental is to build endurance - for me I'm also considering saving 6-7 PTs for a possible retake if necessary, but it looks like you might have a legit shot at avoiding that. :P


Hmm. Your point about saving 6-7 PTs is a good one. I am seriously hoping to avoid a re-take. At this point, I'm confident that I'll score within the range required by the school I'm planning to attend - but I'm hoping to score higher than the range in order to get some scholarship money, as I'm completely financing my own education (well, for law school, I'm assuming it'll be me and the bank of the Government, lol).

I'm definitely scared as to whether or not my PT scores are going to be reflected on the actual test. I'm not sure about how much nerves will affect me, but I think there's going to be a drop. If I do not achieve at least a 170 I will cry.

... But I think I'm going to stick with using up all my PTs. Go for broke, right? Depending how well my games sections are going, I may end up re-using games sections just to get in extra practice on games. I don't think I'll re-use LR or RC, simply because I'll remember the ones I got wrong a lot more than I remember specific LGs - and if I did re-take, if I took an LR or an RC twice, they would be completely useless to me, I guess depending how much time went in between.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 am

Today I just did two sections worth of work (it's seriously hot out today and I basically did nothing but watch gymnastics and hang out with my grandparents lol). But the results were pleasant. A -0RC (yay! again!) and a -1LR. Unfortunately, both of these were on old tests, which I feel are significantly easier in LR and RC. Oh well. At least I'm acing the old RC, even if I go down a bit on later RC. It was just SO LAUGHABLY EASY. I'm not kidding. I was like "no, no, no, this doesn't even fucking RELATE, no no no". I think part of it was that the wrong answers weren't as deceptive/attractive as the new ones, not that the reading material is much different or the questions are different. They got better at writing wrong answers.

Tomorrow I am going to do another newer PT, 45, I think. FOCUS is the name of the game.

drake
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby drake » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:38 am

eit wrote:Today I just did two sections worth of work (it's seriously hot out today and I basically did nothing but watch gymnastics and hang out with my grandparents lol). But the results were pleasant. A -0RC (yay! again!) and a -1LR. Unfortunately, both of these were on old tests, which I feel are significantly easier in LR and RC. Oh well. At least I'm acing the old RC, even if I go down a bit on later RC. It was just SO LAUGHABLY EASY. I'm not kidding. I was like "no, no, no, this doesn't even fucking RELATE, no no no". I think part of it was that the wrong answers weren't as deceptive/attractive as the new ones, not that the reading material is much different or the questions are different. They got better at writing wrong answers.

Tomorrow I am going to do another newer PT, 45, I think. FOCUS is the name of the game.


I seriously hope this isn't true because LR is killing me and I'm still taking the older tests. RC, I'm straight.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:41 am

drake wrote:
eit wrote:Today I just did two sections worth of work (it's seriously hot out today and I basically did nothing but watch gymnastics and hang out with my grandparents lol). But the results were pleasant. A -0RC (yay! again!) and a -1LR. Unfortunately, both of these were on old tests, which I feel are significantly easier in LR and RC. Oh well. At least I'm acing the old RC, even if I go down a bit on later RC. It was just SO LAUGHABLY EASY. I'm not kidding. I was like "no, no, no, this doesn't even fucking RELATE, no no no". I think part of it was that the wrong answers weren't as deceptive/attractive as the new ones, not that the reading material is much different or the questions are different. They got better at writing wrong answers.

Tomorrow I am going to do another newer PT, 45, I think. FOCUS is the name of the game.


I seriously hope this isn't true because LR is killing me and I'm still taking the older tests. RC, I'm straight.


I just think in general they got better at writing wrong answers. It's easier to just process of elimination your way through a question in the older tests. I'd suggest doing a test in the 40's and 50's just to see if you drop significantly - I did. Hoping that was a fluke. I'll report back tomorrow as to how I feel about the next "newer" test I do.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Wow, the addition of an extra fifth section DOES add a lot of mental fatigue. I just finished Prep Test #45 with an experimental RC section from 10 Actual (I don't even keep track anymore, sheesh). Experimental was -4 I think.

Prep Test #45 - 91 raw, 174 scaled. -4LR, -1RC, -1LG, -2LR.

If I could cut down on LR errors, I would be scoring much higher.

LR Section 1.
#12. I don't understand this. There must be something I'm missing. The argument is that it's NOT dioxin causing the harm to the fish immediately downstream, because dioxin decomposes very slowly and fish recover quickly during mill slow downs. The answer is something like, the normal river currents take the dioxin far downstream in a few hours. OH. Hmm. I guess this means that once the factory is shut down, normal river currents take over, and then the dioxin is swept away from the fish, and they recover. Okay. I get it now.

#14. Hmm. It was supposed to satisfy two conditions - likely to reveal important information and known to pose only a minimal risk to the subjects. There were two answers I felt satisfied either condition - I picked the one that said, although it can give rise to diseases, it's not a medical condition. BUT I guess that didn't mean it couldn't reveal important info ABOUT medical conditions that arise FROM the hormones, knowing about the hormones could help you figure that shit out. The right answer showed it wasn't known to have minimal risks to the subjects.

#21. The wording in this ate up my brain. HMM. I guess the answer I chose would have worked if the qualifier in the argument didn't exist. I was like, if this stuff didn't happen without leaving hints in the geological record. BUT it says that there is no consistent link BASED o the geological record - that assumption is kind of already in the argument, you don't need to make a leap. I didn't cross out the right answer, but I was confused between the difference between A and B. I think I see now - very strong language in B, CANNOT be consistently casually linked, whereas A is more "if there were, this would happen."

#25. Well, I pretty much gave up the ghost on this one after spending like 5 minutes on it alone. I actually got to the 5 minute warning in LR - that never happens. Stupid parallel reasoning. At least it occurred really late in the section so I didn't waste earlier time puzzling over it.

RC, Section 2
#10. Primary purpose in the passage. I had three answers not crossed out. I need to pay more attention to these questions where I have a lot not fully x'd out because that shows uncertainty in my answer which can often be a WRONG answer.

LG, Section 3
#12. I forgot about the condition preventing Tyrone from being in the 1st or 3rd spot. I found I was forgetting that condition throughout. Hmm. Overall, though, I did better at setting up/remembering rules.

LG, Section 4.
#14. Flaw in the reasoning. Hmm. I had liked D. I went with E because of its necessary/sufficient mumbo jumbo without realllly understanding how that applied to the stimulus. Bad idea.

#18. Strengthen. This ALWAYS permits MORE realistic planning - right answer: divisions that do not function autonomously do not have maximally realistic planning. Watch for key words like ALWAYS, MORE, etc.

I think I need to do a session of a lot of LR in a row, then analyze what types of questions I'm consistently getting wrong.

Higher level parallel reasoning often confounds me, especially coming at the end. Lower level parallel has been conquered, usually. I think strengthen/assumption/weaken might be also a weak area for me. I mostly need to focus a little bit more and just sit there and read through the question - I hate that everything I need to solve the question is there on the page but sometimes I just can't see it.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Status assessment.

Prep Test Tracker
June 2007 Diagnostic: 159
Prep Test #48: 165
Prep Test #19: 168
Prep Test #20: 173
Superprep C: 175
Prep Test #7: 176
Prep Test #21: 174
Prep Test #25: 173
Prep Test #38: 171
Prep Test #36: 174
Prep Test #27: 175
Prep Test #43: 169
Prep Test #45: 174

My average is a 172.25. So a 172, basically.

My major problem area is LR. An area which needs consistent work and upkeep is LG. An area that simply requires test day focus is RC.

I really want to score 175+ regularly. As it happens, I'm probably regularly between 170-175. I need to NOT have this one stupid section that I mess up on and then perfectly good other sections, like today with LR. How to achieve that? Not entirely sure.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: LSAT Progress Journal

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Best PT ever! I ended up doing PT 28 because I apparently already did the games section on 26? Whatever.

Ended up with 96 raw, 177 scaled!! -2LR, -0LG, -2LR, -1RC.

Section 1 LR:
#20. I still don't understand this question. Inference/Must Be False. I'll look it up later to see if I can find anything, or if anyone's reading this and knows this question/wants to explain it, that'd be greatly appreciated. Economy/investment. I think I just had a formal logic fail or something. I chose D, right answer is A.

#25. Okay, I see how this was right. I don't think I read all the answer choices very well. Chose the attractive wrong answer right above the right answer.

Section 2 LG:
No questions wrong.

Section 3 LR:
#7. I changed this from right to wrong! UGH.
#25. I think I read the right answer choice as "is not known" instead of "IS KNOW NOT TO BE". Big difference there. RC fail here. If I had read that properly, I might have realized what was right. I still think the answer I chose weakens the argument. OH SHIT. TOTAL RC FAIL hahahahahaha. Oh well. I skipped a not in that question. Damn, girl.

Section 4 RC:
#17. AGAIN RC FAIL. Hahaha. I think I read "less expensive" as "less... environmentally damaging." Don't ask me how I could do that. Haha. Okay, I need to work on keeping focused.

So basically I could have scored a 180 had I not misread at least 4 of the questions/answer choices. Well, I mean, if I had read the wrong answer choice as wrong, I still could have picked another wrong answer. But it looks like STUPID MISTAKES were the name of the day :).




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests