Burnout or just an off day?

Anaconda

Burnout or just an off day?

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Today I've had a lot of trouble concentrating on LR questions, was sluggish when trying a few LGs, and could barely focus on RC. I feel that if I stared at a wall for a few hours straight, I would be content. I feel like my mind and body are working together to prevent me from attempting lsat related material today. Basically, I feel like a lazy vegetable - I'm not even physically tired, just feel like doing absolutely nothing. Is this a sign of burnout, or could it just be an off-day? I've actually started doing less and less work LSAT related stuff daily, so not sure what this feeling is.

I was planning to take a PT tomorrow, but if I have the same mental capacity tomorrow, I think I'd be lucky to break the 140s.

Anyone ever experience this before?

3|ink

Re: Burnout or just an off day?

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:36 pm

If I were you, I'd take the test anyway. Part of preparing for this test is learning how to perform well even at your worst. I'm slowly learning this truth.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:46 pm

I agree. Sometimes I panic in the middle of an LG section and I want to just give up (sometimes I do) but man, if that happens on the real test, I don't exactly have the option to just go watch some tv or something, now do I? I think part of preparing is having terrible off days where you have to force yourself through the material (and then give yourself the rest of the day off!), because it helps your endurance.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Are you taking a break once in a while? I think you need a whole day off at least once every two weeks.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

I had a cup of espresso and then tried a very easy RC passage 2 hours later and got -1, which sure beats the -5 combined I had on the other two RC sections I did earlier in the day. I could actually read and comprehend, lol.

I might have just needed an extra boost, caffeine does help energize me, but I rarely drink coffee. Worst case scenario I could drink some coffee the morning of the test if I feel off.

It's weird that I lacked all motivation before the caffeine, and once it kicked in I was compelled to do more lsat stuff. It's like a miracle drug.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:38 pm

I had burnout last week. Took three days off and came back right where I left off. It's natural. This crap is boring.

Glad the caffeine worked, just practice with it prior to test day. Its a well-known <ahem> digestive stimulant and it'd be terrible to have stomach gurgling on top of nerves.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:50 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I had burnout last week. Took three days off and came back right where I left off. It's natural. This crap is boring.

Glad the caffeine worked, just practice with it prior to test day. Its a well-known <ahem> digestive stimulant and it'd be terrible to have stomach gurgling on top of nerves.

Nothing a few pepto-bismol pills can't fix :D Seriously though, I'm 100% going to have a few pepto pills on the morning of the test. A sour stomach during section 4 reading comp could be a nail in the coffin.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Anaconda wrote:Nothing a few pepto-bismol pills can't fix :D Seriously though, I'm 100% going to have a few pepto pills on the morning of the test.

Absolutely, and a few preventative ibuprofin/aspirin along with a couple packed in your gallon baggie. I had a veritable pharmacy in my June bag.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:22 pm

Anaconda wrote:I feel like my mind and body are working together to prevent me from attempting lsat related material today.

I feel your pain. The first couple times this happened to me, I threw up my arms, screamed "F#@k this S%*t!", and walked away from a timed section. But lately I've been trying to push myself through it regardless of my mental state.

When you start getting frustrated, take Magic's advice: "Calm yourself down and get back into your game!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_q0EqWBErk

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

I think you'll be fine anaconda. It happens to all of us. Just keep it up.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 am

The Gentleman wrote:
Anaconda wrote:I feel like my mind and body are working together to prevent me from attempting lsat related material today.

I feel your pain. The first couple times this happened to me, I threw up my arms, screamed "F#@k this S%*t!", and walked away from a timed section. But lately I've been trying to push myself through it regardless of my mental state.

When you start getting frustrated, take Magic's advice: "Calm yourself down and get back into your game!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_q0EqWBErk

Ahaha, now every time I get frustrated like this I'll just quietly hum to myself GETCHA HEAD IN THE GAME (HSM). Hahaha.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:24 am

eit wrote:I'll just quietly hum to myself GETCHA HEAD IN THE GAME (HSM). Hahaha.

I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:26 am

Anaconda wrote:Today I've had a lot of trouble concentrating on LR questions, was sluggish when trying a few LGs, and could barely focus on RC. I feel that if I stared at a wall for a few hours straight, I would be content. I feel like my mind and body are working together to prevent me from attempting lsat related material today. Basically, I feel like a lazy vegetable - I'm not even physically tired, just feel like doing absolutely nothing. Is this a sign of burnout, or could it just be an off-day? I've actually started doing less and less work LSAT related stuff daily, so not sure what this feeling is.

I was planning to take a PT tomorrow, but if I have the same mental capacity tomorrow, I think I'd be lucky to break the 140s.

Anyone ever experience this before?

I worry about you :(

I remember taking an entire week off during my prep, as well as a couple days off at a time here and there.

If it's just an "off-day" you'll know tomorrow, since you'll be back up on your feet. On those days you do need to push through. However, if this keeps happening a few days off can work wonders.

Also, remember that coffee also acts as a diuretic! Once you're seated in the test center they do not let you go to the bathroom until the exam actually starts - and then the clock is ticking so you don't really have the time :? There was this poor guy in the next row who kept begging to go but the proctor wouldn't let him........ I felt so sorry for him :( Make sure you don't fall in the same trap!

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Hear ya pal. Took a PT, felt okay, got 158 (I'm on pt 26)...took another one, got a 155 because I misinterpreted a rule on the first LG game (piece of cake) and went 0/5 which subsequently screwed me up for the next three games trying to rush to make it back. I ended up liek -11 and got 155 but when I retook that section timed the next day I got -4 so I should have been back up near 158-160 if I hadn't messed up on that game.

Took PT 26 on saturday and felt awful. No concentration, frustration, none of the sentences even made sense to me. The WORST part was that I thought I tanked the first LR...and got -6 which is a little better than usual, and the LR I thought I did okay on i got -9. UGH. Did awful on games but I found them pretty difficult...until I did them the next day and missed one question. The time constraints are really really killing me on LG. Case in point, on that ballads/dance game, I woke up the next morning and realized that RSVX had to be the first song played...why I didn't realize this DURING the game I have no idea. FML.

I woulnd't sweat it, theres lots of time left.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Fuck my life.

Just got done taking PT 28 and although I did fairly well on LG and RC (-1, -5), I COMPLETELY BOMBED LR. My timing was so off, I literally blind guessed on at least 10 questions, and was in a frantic rush after the 15th question on both LR sections. Idk what the hell happened, but I seriously got annihilated on this test. I got -12, -9 on the LR sections, so -21 total out of 52 questions. Timing was not an issue at all last test, but on this one timing really messed me up, and I also missed a lot of easy questions - that was amazingly apparent when I redid the first LR section where I went from a -12 to -5 untimed. I missed the first two LR questions on the section (which were total gimmes) and then went on to miss the last 8 out of 10 questions so I actually got 12/14 middle questions right and got 2/12 on the rest. Jeez...

I think all the questions I got wrong untimed were legitimately difficult, but I'll have to verify that later today.

I don't understand why I botched LR all of a sudden, I was making steady progress. Even on my 157 score a few weeks ago, I pulled a -18 on LR (got a -10 on my previous PT).

However I will say, despite the fact I was absolutely destroyed by LR I somehow pulled off a 161 which is only 1 point lower than my highest score (even though my raw score went from an 81 to a 74). I would have cancelled this sucker had it been a real test, there's no question. When you have to randomly fill in 10 bubbles and realize you struggled on 2 sections (actually 3 since I thought I bombed RC as well), a cancel is a no-brainer.

Disclaimer - on LGs, I had already attempted the hardest game a few weeks ago. I admit I knew how to attack it, but I still destroyed the other games and finished with 6 minutes left even though I took my time on the last one. Based on the fact that I would have had at least 12-14 minutes to attempt the "hard" game I already tried before, I have little doubt I would have cracked it in that much time.

EDIT: Turns out I did slightly better on LR2 since I got a few blind guesses right, got a -9 instead of -12. I hate to even count them...

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Anyone else ever experience a similar bomb in LR? How do I get my timing and pacing back? This is going to destroy me!
Last edited by Anaconda on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Anaconda wrote:Anyone else experience a similar bom in LR? How do I get my timing and pacing back? This is going to destroy me!

I'm not even sure that the term 'pacing' even applies to LR. Either you know the answers quickly or don't. The key to knowing the answers quickly is focusing on the important aspects.

If you had a bad LR day, try to pinpoint the things that consumed most of your time and learn the concept behind that flaw so it doesn't happen again.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Do you guys think I should attempt another PT tomorrow or do some section related work like a time RC + couple of LR questions and LGs for the next few days?

I won't be able to do another PT until next Monday if I don't do one tomorrow.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Any professional recommendations on how I should waste my time tomorrow?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:43 pm

I burned out several times studying. No biggie, take a few days off and revel in the score jump you'll get when you come back to it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”