pt 34 s3 #5

HOV

pt 34 s3 #5

Postby HOV » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:41 pm

calling all who have access to this test

alright so i think any confusion i'm experiencing with this question stems from my understanding of necessary assumption vs. sufficient assumption.

could somebody please take a minute to explain why the answer is not A? is it because it is not NECESSARY to ensure the arguments validity? i feel like if either A or D is assumed, the columnists argument is well served...what's the difference between the two that i'm missing?

thanks in advance.

EDIT:SHOOT, i'm sorry this was in reference to section 3 not section 2. my mistake.
Last edited by HOV on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hannibal

Re: pt 34 s2 #5

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:13 pm

The contention in the question is over why math is different from science, reading and writing.

A isn't useful since it puts math and reading in the same category, even though they had opposite results.
D doesn't really say anything since there isn't any connection in the question between usefulness, interest, video graphics, etc and math.

B is correct because it singles out math as especially useful with a property that could also be applied to a lesser extent to science.

Hannibal

Re: pt 34 s3 #5

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:20 pm

I got this one right, but I can see why A is appealing.

I eliminated it because it jumps reasoning a little bit. A is essentially restating the conclusion, but with too strong of language. "Anyone" is not at all assumed.

HOV

Postby HOV » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm

yeah now that i think about it, in this question it seems essential to note that the columnist refers to widespread reliance whereas answer choice A seems like it too abruptly narrows things down to any given individual.

thanks H.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:44 pm

I got this one wrong the first time I did it as well. The missing link is between the necessary bond and participating in groups outside the family.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:47 pm

From the stimulus:

Democratic society -> strong bonds of mutual trust -> participation in civic organizations, political arties, + other groups outside family

Conclusion: Reliance on movies and media for entertainment -> corrosive effect on democracy

Basically, we need something that, if negated, will destroy the conclusion.

A) basically forms this diagram: rely on movies + media for entertainment -> - strong bonds of mutual trust. This does sufficiently justify the conclusion because rely on movies -> -strong bonds of trust -> - democratic society via the contrapositive. However, you must remember that the stimulus is asking for a NECESSARY assumption, and not merely something that justifies the conclusion if assumed. If you negate this answer choice, you get:

"Not everyone who relies on movies and electronic media for entertainment is unable to form a strong bond of mutual trust with a citizen".

This does not completely destroy the conclusion because the widespread reliance on movies and electronic media can STILL HAVE a corrosive effect on democracy as long as some/many/most of the people relying on the aforemetioned cannot form strong bonds of mutual trust.

Now try negating (D). "Relying on movies + elec. media for entertainment DOES NOT generally make people less likely to participate in groups outside their families". If this is true, then relying on moves + electronic media does not go against one of the necessary conditions for democracy and the author's argument fails. Thus, this is the correct answer.

HOV

Postby HOV » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:17 am

thanks guys, i got it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”