Full-Length Tests v. Timed Sections

JDHopeful

Full-Length Tests v. Timed Sections

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Which is best? I've been studying since the end of June for the October test. I've gone thru all 3 bibles and just recently started doing untimed full length tests to see where I'm at. I've scored between 156 - 168 on the 4 tests i've taken so far. I'm wondering if its more helpful for me to continue to take full length tests a few times a week or to take broken off sections and accurately time them?

Just to note, I'm usually good on time (finish the sections under 35 mins), except for LG, I usually spend an extra ten minutes on each one, which is terrible, but I'll get that fixed.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Sandro

Re: Full-Length Tests v. Timed Sections

Postby Sandro » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:15 pm

One of the most repeated and valuable pieces of advice for people just starting out studying is this : you need to start at some point taking full length, timed PTs. Taking sections are great when you first begin, but if you gave me 4 individual sections spread over 4 days I would do significantly better than 4 at once. You need to start getting your mind used to working non stop for ~3 or 4 hours. You wouldn't train for a marathon by doing 26 1 mile sprints.

With only about 2 months left I would say its about time to dive into full length PTs...

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:35 pm

How many full lengths for the next 2 months do you think is sufficient?

3/4?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 pm

JDHopeful wrote:How many full lengths for the next 2 months do you think is sufficient?

3/4?

That depends on what you want and how well you progress. If you're looking for something above 159, I'd say at least 10. If you're looking for a 170+, I'd say at least 20.

3/4 is definitely not enough IMO.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:53 pm

id say do at least one a week. if you are not ready now, then aim to start doing at least one by August 20th, then a week after, then one a week until the test ( do the last one in the mid- week the week of the test) Thats approximately 7 tests.

Even better, in September aim to do 2 a week. Make sure to do at least 5 sections per exam, and review each exam thouroughly

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”