Timing in LG, time per game, not just an average

lawschoolisfun2012

Timing in LG, time per game, not just an average

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Last edited by lawschoolisfun2012 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AverageTutoring

Re: Timing in LG, time per game, not just an average

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:01 pm

This is percisely the reason why I discourage people from timing individual games or individual passages: it is likely that you will spend more time on some games and less time on others.

If you know you will not finish the games it might be advisable to flip through and start with your best game type. If you know you will finish, or have a very good chance of finishing, the time wasted flipping through the games is well...wasted.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

I attacked and moved on. If a particular game was taking too long, I might quickly check and see what kind of games were remaining, but I won't change games mid-section. Some games would take me 5 mins, others longer. It really depends - not all games are equal :P

I agree with the above mostly, especially in that there's no use timing individual games. The only reason I got in the habit of checking the types of games left was really just for peace-of-mind - knowing what was to come somehow helped me relax more, instead of panicking that the game was taking too long, therefore spending even more time on it... etc.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 am

I do not think it is useless to time individual games. Just be aware of the fact that some games will take longer than others. Keep that in mind, and there is nothing wrong with timing yourself to try and complete individual games as quickly as possible.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:30 am

I started with game one and moved on from there. However, I think it's generally noted that some games are more difficult than others, so as you noted, you shouldn't expect to need the same amount of time for each.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:51 am

I can do pure sequencing games in 4 minutes flat. Other than that, it's pretty variable. As long as you balance the times out (which should happen naturally), I don't think you need to spend exactly 8 mins 45 seconds on one game. That's just how much time you HAVE, and if you take less, then you take the extra and tack it onto another one that's giving you trouble.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:04 am

It's fine to spend 10+ minutes on a tough game. As long as you're able to do "easy games" in less than 8 1/2 minutes, you should be fine. I think a good strategy during a game on an actual test is to simply guess on a specific problem that's giving you a lot of trouble. Spending 2-3 minutes on one hard question could mean that you don't get to 3 other questions on the section that are much easier. Better to settle for not getting a -0 than potentially doing terrible because you ran out of time and weren't able to finish a game! This happened to me on a PT when I encountered a pattern game, and although I got a -2 on that particular game (involving some guess work which didn't pan out) and -4 on the overall section, had I taken the time to solve 2 of those "hard" questions, I would have never finished the 4th game and would have probably had a -6 or -7 instead of the -4, and consider the fact that I did the last game in about 6 minutes!

seaghost527

Postby seaghost527 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi, I didn't wanna make my own thread for this, but I have an LG question -- I know the best way to improve on LG is repetition, completing games multiple times, but after you do a game that gives you a lot of trouble, is there anything special you do between then and the next time you attempt that same game?
I'm gonna do all ten LG sections in the purple book today and tomorrow, for the third time, and am hoping my times will improve, but I'm not sure if I should be doing something between my first and second attempt of a game to improve my accuracy/time/score.
Any advice?

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:53 pm

seaghost527 wrote:Hi, I didn't wanna make my own thread for this, but I have an LG question -- I know the best way to improve on LG is repetition, completing games multiple times, but after you do a game that gives you a lot of trouble, is there anything special you do between then and the next time you attempt that same game?
I'm gonna do all ten LG sections in the purple book today and tomorrow, for the third time, and am hoping my times will improve, but I'm not sure if I should be doing something between my first and second attempt of a game to improve my accuracy/time/score.
Any advice?

The second time completing a game you should not be worried about speed and accuracy. You should concentrate on how to most efficiently complete the game: what is the absolutely best diagram setup, what inferences do you need to complete the game versus what you did the first time, what questions did you brute force the first time that you really didn't need to, what hypotheticals are needed/which ones are not, how can we use past work in the game to complete questions, etcetc.

The third time you should work on applying the above notes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”