LG Timing & LR Abstract Frustration Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

LG Timing & LR Abstract Frustration

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Ok, so I'm now up to PT30 in working all of the PT's from the 3 books. Since the second book, I've tried to convert over to getting the sections consistently under 35 minutes. Still having issues.

LG - 3 of the last 4 LG sections, I've gone -0. The problem, though, is that I've only been able to finish three games. I seem to keep second guessing myself and overchecking once my diagram proves TCR and I lose significant time on the "could be true" questions. My mind tends to go blank on the "could be true" Q's and I have to fight to get back my composure from the brink of panic. Usually, there's an inference or something I missed from the rules that allows me to fix it, and move on. On PT30, I went ahead and attacked the last two games with the most questions first, (although I struggled on the car wash in recognizing M had to have a R wash, and this took way too long (15 minutes with probably a minute of panicking or so before regaining composure). I ran out of time though for the messages game. This is similar to what happened where I chose to handle the film buff game, but didn't have enough time for the Snake/Lizard/Game. My question is how to I increase my speed of finishing the games with the same accuracy I have now?

LR has finally started to see major improvement since I went back over my prior misses a second time. Making advances in the assumption/alternate cause weaken/strengthen questions. Slowly making progress in the abstract Q's. Missed only 2 Q's from LR#1 on PT30 timed. Specifically, #13. I get why (D) is the right answer when you fill in the info from the stimulus, but my question in reading these answer choices is how do you keep a word like "recent estimate" in your mind when trying to interpret the answer choice? I forgot this info from the stimulus. The other miss was a misread of Q21 of the political party leader/bill question.

yzero1

Bronze

Re: LG Timing & LR Abstract Frustration

Post by yzero1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 am

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Ok, so I'm now up to PT30 in working all of the PT's from the 3 books. Since the second book, I've tried to convert over to getting the sections consistently under 35 minutes. Still having issues.

LG - 3 of the last 4 LG sections, I've gone -0. The problem, though, is that I've only been able to finish three games. I seem to keep second guessing myself and overchecking once my diagram proves TCR and I lose significant time on the "could be true" questions. My mind tends to go blank on the "could be true" Q's and I have to fight to get back my composure from the brink of panic. Usually, there's an inference or something I missed from the rules that allows me to fix it, and move on. On PT30, I went ahead and attacked the last two games with the most questions first, (although I struggled on the car wash in recognizing M had to have a R wash, and this took way too long (15 minutes with probably a minute of panicking or so before regaining composure). I ran out of time though for the messages game. This is similar to what happened where I chose to handle the film buff game, but didn't have enough time for the Snake/Lizard/Game. My question is how to I increase my speed of finishing the games with the same accuracy I have now?

LR has finally started to see major improvement since I went back over my prior misses a second time. Making advances in the assumption/alternate cause weaken/strengthen questions. Slowly making progress in the abstract Q's. Missed only 2 Q's from LR#1 on PT30 timed. Specifically, #13. I get why (D) is the right answer when you fill in the info from the stimulus, but my question in reading these answer choices is how do you keep a word like "recent estimate" in your mind when trying to interpret the answer choice? I forgot this info from the stimulus. The other miss was a misread of Q21 of the political party leader/bill question.
Seems like you need to drill LGs a bit more. Try taking some of the earlier games, categorize them (ex. linear, grouping, mapping etc) and drill a section a day. This should get you more used to the types of questions you'll see on later tests and also improve your speed. If you're forgetting about a few key deductions, try taking a bit longer each game and draw out a few hypotheticals so you can feel out how the rules interact. This approach helps a lot with games such as the car wash one, which can be solved easily if you just write out 2-3 hypotheticals.

As for LR, it is often difficult to keep everything in the stimulus inside your brain as you're reading through the answer choices. If you feel unsure about a certain answer, I recommend re-reading the stimulus carefully and see if there are a few words you're missing. If you can fully understand the stimulus, the correct answer choices will jump out at you.

Hope that helps!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”