PT 38 Section 2 Question 12 - INSIGHT WANTED??

Barack O'Clinton

PT 38 Section 2 Question 12 - INSIGHT WANTED??

Postby Barack O'Clinton » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Game reads as follows:

Each of six tasks - harvesting, milling, plowing, spinning, threshing, and weaving - will be demonstrated exactly once at a farm exhibition. No two tasks will be demonstrated concurrently. Three volunteers - Frank, Gladys, and Leslie - will each demonstrate exactly two of the tasks. The tasks must be demonstrated in accordance with the following conditions:
Frank demonstrates exactly one task before Gladys demonstrates any of the tasks.
Frank performs neither the first nor the last demonstration.
Gladys demonstrates neither harvesting nor milling.
Leslie demonstrates neither harvesting nor threshing.
Milling is the next task demonstrated after threshing is demonstrated.

12. Which one of the following must be true?
(a) Frank performs the second demonstration.
(b) Gladys performs the fourth demonstration.
(c) Gladys performs the sixth demonstration.
(d) Leslie performs the first demonstration
(e) Leslie performs the second demonstration
I would greatly appreciate it if someone would explain why the answer to question 12 is D and not A. I see why it must be true that Leslie performs the first demonstration (Frank cannot go first and F has to go at least once before G performs any demonstration). However, it seems to me that A must be true as well seeing how the first person must always be Leslie, G cannot perform her first demonstration before F, and not two tasks may be performed concurrently [i.e. - no L-L]. Therefore, F must perform second after Leslie performs first. Right?

Cambridge LSAT

Re: PT 38 Section 2 Question 12 - INSIGHT WANTED??

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:19 pm

It sounds like you misinterpreted the word concurrently. This means that no two tasks can be demonstrated at the same time. It doesn't preclude one person from demonstrating two tasks consecutively.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:58 am

Sorry for bumping a very old topic. Can someone explain this exact question to me?
I am also confused why the answer cannot also be A.

Rules state F cannot perform the first or last, so to me that looks like this at first:

X _ _ _ _ X
1 2 3 4 5 6

In order to rule out choice (A), I have to prove that F can go in another place except 2.

Here's how I see this:

X X _ _ _ x
1 2 3 4 5 6

Without looking at any of the other rules, F could go in 3, 4, or 5.

I tried this and applied the rules after. There are three ways to arrange F.

First:
X X F F _ X
1 2 3 4 5 6

Second:
X X F _ F X
1 2 3 4 5 6

Third Way:
X X _ F F X
1 2 3 4 5 6

Applying the first rule to this, F demonstrates exactly one task before G does any. So the arrangement cannot be LLFFGG (two tasks before G is out of the rules), it must be something like LLFGGF. However, looking at the three ways I've written, none fit this pattern. As a result, I have proven that F MUST go in spot 2.

I don't know where I'm mistaken. A and D both look like equally viable answers. Can somebody show me a way to have F not be in spot 2 and still have an acceptable list?

Postby 03152016 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:09 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am

Thank you. I misinterpreted "any" as both when it should mean "either one"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”