What to do?

The Gentleman

What to do?

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Last edited by The Gentleman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwaters

Re: What to do?

Postby jwaters » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Your LSAT score will carry far more weight on your app that any work experience. I say stick with studying for a couple of more months, unless you just really need the money.

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:46 pm

If you think you will have the focus and the drive to put in the necessary time to study and do the job, go for it. Having a job might keep you from slowly becoming insane. It could also give you a reason to slack off. However you think you'd respond to work (refreshing vs. taxing), act accordingly.

Good luck in your decision.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 pm

What was your diagnostic? How much have you improved since then? What's your goal--with a 4.0 GPA, if you can lock 170+ you'll be in decent shape. I imagine if you have this job you'll be able to keep it until we start? If you think you can still get into the 170s with this job, then I'd say go for it because having that money under your belt will be useful when law school rolls around. I wouldn't expect it to necessarily make a huge difference on your apps though, since you would just be starting it right now.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:07 pm

How much do you need the $$? What kind of "great-looking" job is it - is it in the league of "White House intern" or something of that sort?

Personally I wouldn't take it if I were you. Keep in mind that a few points more on the LSAT can mean thousands in scholarship money once you apply - especially at that range, and with that GPA.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for the responses.

acrossthelake wrote:What was your diagnostic? How much have you improved since then? What's your goal-.

Cold diagnostic was 161. So with my PTs between 168-172 right now, I've seen about a 9 pt improvement and with 2 months left, I feel (and hope) there's still room for improvement.

I suppose my question was more focused on whether the added soft bonus of the job would outweigh the potential drop in LSAT score. (And no I would not put this on the level of White House intern.) But the consensus seems to be that I should take the job only if I don't think it will negatively affect my LSAT prep. (conditional statement alert!)

Premise: I do think it will negatively affect my LSAT prep. (contrapositive)

Therefore I should not take the job.

(sorry I can't help myself)

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Hahaha. I think you made the right decision :)
Good luck on your apps!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”