LSAT Prep - The Power of Hard Work and a Positive Attitude

workethic02

LSAT Prep - The Power of Hard Work and a Positive Attitude

Postby workethic02 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I, like many of you, have started the journey to pursue a career as an attorney. I have worked for a litigation consulting firm for the past three years, so I know what to expect as far as workload, hours, etc. once I'm out of school. For those of you who have never worked in the industry or are in undergrad., I HIGHLY recommend working/interning/shadowing or speaking with an attorney/paralegal/legal assistant BEFORE you go down this path - it's not for everyone. I don't mean that to scare anyone, but I think it's wise to know what you're getting into and not just going because your parents said so, you've been told you'd be good at it, don't know what else to do, etc.

With that said, I am currently enrolled in the Test Masters full-length course. I thought about self-study, but I am the type of person does better in a classroom setting, so I opted for that. I wanted to track my progress throughout this "journey" as a means to motivate myself and others. I would like to use this thread as a way to encourage others that a great LSAT score IS attainable, but you have to work for it. Like anything else, nothing worth anything in this world comes easy and it will take a lot of hard work on my part. I will be posting my progress every few days (first few posts are below) in order to let everyone know how I'm progressing, how I'm preparing, my moods/feelings, etc. I work full-time (usually 50-60 hours a week) and have a wonderful fiance, with whom I'm planning a wedding with, so I'm quite busy.

*One final note - I am the type of person that truly believes that anything is possible through hard work, dedication, motivation and a positive attitude. I intend to show others that they can accomplish great things on this test (and life - as cheesy as that sounds) as long as they work, work, work and remain positive!!!!!

MONDAY, AUGUST 2nd, 2010

After meeting my instructor, who seems very nice, the rest of the class and I took our first diagnostic. I worked through all five sections and was quite impressed at how "real" the surroundings seemed. Our instructor said that Test Masters likes to simulate testing conditions as much as possible and I must say, I think they did a pretty good job. I walked out of the diagnostic not feeling overly confident with my score but I knew that I have a long road ahead of me.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 3rd, 2010

I received my score and wasn't thrilled with what I saw. I scored a 147 (believe me, I know that's not good). However, I have yet to begin classes/study and I know that there's no where to go but up. It may sound silly, but I'm actually somewhat glad that I scored as poorly as I did. This means that there's a lot of areas that I can gain in and it motivated me even more! Interestingly enough, my best section was the Logic Games (16 out of 23 correct). I'm a little bit mixed on that because I know the games section is where people make up the most points. However, as I've stated before, I've got a lot of classes, studying, and time on my side so I'm feeling good!!!!!

More in a few days!!!!!

etshin

Re: LSAT Prep - The Power of Hard Work and a Positive Attitude

Postby etshin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:57 pm

hope all goes well for you. I am in a similar situation as you and I hope we can both do well. BTW are you taking the tM course in san jose?

HOV

Postby HOV » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:40 pm

i like your attitude. i also share your sentiments about the nature of achievement and the variables involved.

good luck.

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:20 pm

+1 Good luck. If you scored 147 cold, don't sweat it. With time you will get better and the score will go up.

workethic02

Postby workethic02 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! I'm glad that there's other out there that share a similar attitude (it's very refreshing). I know that we'll all do extremely well if we put in the time and effort!

etshin - I'm actually taking the TM full-length course in Chicago - I take it that you're taking the TM course in San Jose? Has it started yet? How have classes been going?

THURSDAY,AUGUST 5th, 2010

I had my first "official" class last night. I was happy to know that we would be focusing primarily on LR, as that is by far my weakest area. We spent a majority of the time discussing Arguments vs. Sets of Facts, Sufficient vs. Necessary Conditions, IN, IR, and Contrapositive. I'm happy to say that I seemed to pick up on them all fairly easy and this is giving me a good self-esteem boost.

This morning, while going into work, I started to re-read our lesson from last night in order to keep everything fresh - don't worry, I live in Chicago so I take public trans. - wasn't reading while driving. I plan to go home tonight, have a nice dinner, and then re-read our lesson from start to finish and start the homework. I'm hoping to get in 3 hours tonight and then another 10 between Fri, Sat, and Sun - the amount of time I spend on the HW is important, however, I will study as long as it takes until I'm comfortable with and get the HW - whether that's 2 hours or 20.

HOV

Postby HOV » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:54 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”