Critical Thinking Class

User avatar
jwaters
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Critical Thinking Class

Postby jwaters » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 pm

.
Last edited by jwaters on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
speedyj88
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby speedyj88 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:20 pm

It certainly won't hurt but by that time in your studying I don't think it will help that much either. Regardless, it sounds like an interesting class.

arean.ryan
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby arean.ryan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I took a similar course this summer titled, "Elementary Logic"; big help in aspects on syllogisms, deducing statements, contrapositives...doubt you will get the a good arsenal of knowledge by test day however

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:37 pm

You'll learn a lot more than you'll need for the LSAT. I took my logic class ages ago, but I remember having to solve equations. It was almost like math, but easier.

phernandez10
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby phernandez10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 pm

That sounds like an introductory class in logic. My intro logic course was fairly basic (categorical syllogisms, fallacies, etc.), however I took an upper division course which was very helpful. I went deeper into the argument structure.


Course description:
"PHIL 350 Symbolic Logic (5)
The course is designed to develop our understanding of different logical notions, such as validity, consistency, logical truth and the formal structures that underlie good reasoning. There will be a focus on developing an ability to translate from a natural language to formal languages such as the propositional and predicate calculus, and a focus on developing an ability to use formal proof systems."

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby jdhopeful11 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 pm

It won't really help. It will teach you how to think critically about everyday situations and society as well as assessing situations objectively.

arean.ryan
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:11 am

phernandez10 wrote:

focus on developing an ability to translate from a natural language to formal languages such as the propositional and predicate calculus, and a focus on developing an ability to use formal proof systems."


My Elementary Logic class taught on formal proofs as well as propositional calculus. I really wanted to take symbolic logic as well but I graduated too soon :(

phernandez10
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby phernandez10 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:43 am

arean.ryan wrote:
phernandez10 wrote:

focus on developing an ability to translate from a natural language to formal languages such as the propositional and predicate calculus, and a focus on developing an ability to use formal proof systems."


My Elementary Logic class taught on formal proofs as well as propositional calculus. I really wanted to take symbolic logic as well but I graduated too soon :(


Most of my classmates couldn't understand categorical syllogisms so we spent most of the quarter on that alone. As for the Symbolic Logic course I suggest you go back :). Symbolic Logic was one of the main reasons I decided to major in philosophy.

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:49 am

The basics of LR can be learned on your own, and this class probably wouldn't help for the more complex, difficult LR problems. I would not recommend it.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby jay115 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:50 am

I disagree. IMO, majoring in philosophy saved my LSAT score.

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:59 am

jay115 wrote:I disagree. IMO, majoring in philosophy saved my LSAT score.


Disagree with what? A single introductory course in the basics of critical thinking is hardly relevant to taking complex 300+ level philosophy courses.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby jay115 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:16 am

Chris_cpb wrote:
jay115 wrote:I disagree. IMO, majoring in philosophy saved my LSAT score.


Disagree with what? A single introductory course in the basics of critical thinking is hardly relevant to taking complex 300+ level philosophy courses.


You think learning about Kant's metaphysics or advanced political philosophy helps with the basics of logical reasoning? No - it was just the constant exposure to logical fallacies, regardless of topic or debate. Slowly, exposure leads to acclimation and recognition. This class sounds like a good introductory course for a non-philosophy major.

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: Critical Thinking Class

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:25 am

jay115 wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:
jay115 wrote:I disagree. IMO, majoring in philosophy saved my LSAT score.


Disagree with what? A single introductory course in the basics of critical thinking is hardly relevant to taking complex 300+ level philosophy courses.


You think learning about Kant's metaphysics or advanced political philosophy helps with the basics of logical reasoning? No - it was just the constant exposure to logical fallacies, regardless of topic or debate. Slowly, exposure leads to acclimation and recognition. This class sounds like a good introductory course for a non-philosophy major.



I took a class called something like "aesthetics of classic masterpieces" and it was one of my favorite classes ever! We looked at some stuff with Kant if I recall. Anyway, my point with the argument is that advanced logical reasoning strategies cannot be learned from an intro 'critical thinking' course while the basic logical reasoning strategies are almost common sense. I would, however, agree that this would be a fun class to take.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13, towel13661 and 5 guests