Hitting the wall on LR?

backtothebeat
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby backtothebeat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:15 pm

I've taken about 3 full preptests, and have done a bunch of logical reasoning sections (not sure how many, upwards of 10) and I keep getting, on average, 3 wrong per section. It's the weirdest thing, no matter what I do I can't seem to cut it down to less than 3 wrong on a consistent basis. Is this just the nature of the beast or is there something extra I can do to ensure fewer incorrect answers? The types of questions I get wrong vary from section to section, but usually 1 of them will be an assumption question. I guess it is just going to come down to practice, but it's almost comical how I get 3 wrong every time

User avatar
vespertiliovir
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby vespertiliovir » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:19 pm

You could try the LR Bible -- I've never used it, but people seem to like it.

Most importantly, just keep doing practice sections/tests. You still haven't done very many in the grand scheme of things, so it's not too surprising you're not perfect yet.

User avatar
Nikrall
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby Nikrall » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:19 pm

backtothebeat wrote:I've taken about 3 full preptests, and have done a bunch of logical reasoning sections (not sure how many, upwards of 10) and I keep getting, on average, 3 wrong per section. It's the weirdest thing, no matter what I do I can't seem to cut it down to less than 3 wrong on a consistent basis. Is this just the nature of the beast or is there something extra I can do to ensure fewer incorrect answers? The types of questions I get wrong vary from section to section, but usually 1 of them will be an assumption question. I guess it is just going to come down to practice, but it's almost comical how I get 3 wrong every time


Are the 3 wrong always after question 14 or so?

backtothebeat
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby backtothebeat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Yup, usually something will happen like I'll be going along fine, thinking I nailed the section, and then get questions 17 and 18 wrong, with 1 other mixed in there.

User avatar
jr1886
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby jr1886 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:08 pm

backtothebeat wrote:Yup, usually something will happen like I'll be going along fine, thinking I nailed the section, and then get questions 17 and 18 wrong, with 1 other mixed in there.


I have the same problem too averaging -3 and always seem to miss two in a row. I plan to buy the Cambridge 410 Difficult questions (link --LinkRemoved-- ... stions/336) even though i have all the PT's and break those hard questions down to see if i can with brute force drive my average down further.

Ps. I did the LRB and took extensive notes. Still missing -3 which usually involved flaw or/and MBT questions

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:58 am

backtothebeat wrote:I've taken about 3 full preptests, and have done a bunch of logical reasoning sections (not sure how many, upwards of 10) and I keep getting, on average, 3 wrong per section. It's the weirdest thing, no matter what I do I can't seem to cut it down to less than 3 wrong on a consistent basis. Is this just the nature of the beast or is there something extra I can do to ensure fewer incorrect answers? The types of questions I get wrong vary from section to section, but usually 1 of them will be an assumption question. I guess it is just going to come down to practice, but it's almost comical how I get 3 wrong every time


I've been there. What worked for me was analyzing the questions I got wrong, by "type", (and like you the types varied but I could tell which ones I was worse at) and then doing the Kaplan Mastery book in the order of the questions I would get wrong the most. After doing that, when I went back to doing whole sections I got -1~-2 per section, then -0.

Don't worry, I know it feels like you've hit a wall but there's plenty of time & studying left and progress in LSAT seems to usually go in fits and starts.

winnatech
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby winnatech » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:54 am

kazu,

Do you generally start off by doing individual LR sections and locating the types of questions you get wrong, and then going to the Mastery book to work on them by type? When you do that, do you also redo the questions you've done already before (to solidify your understanding I'm guessing)?

Thanks.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:40 am

I'm not currently studying, I took the June LSAT so the advice I'm giving you is based on my experiences then.

I decided to hit the Mastery book when I had gone through about 15~20 individual LR sections. I located all of the questions I got wrong and then divided them by type. Then I "ranked" the different types according to which ones I got wrong the most often.
I didn't redo the original questions I got wrong, since I had already reviewed them & written out why I had gotten them wrong, etc. Besides the Mastery book had more than enough questions for most of the question types. I viewed doing the Mastery as a way of solidifying that particular kind of logic in my head that I wasn't quite used to, especially under time pressure.

Hope this helps! I'll be happy to answer any other questions :)

GratefulDead
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby GratefulDead » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:37 am

I have a sidenote question Kazu, what is your strat for success in RC, did you use mastery to drill this section as well?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:47 am

backtothebeat wrote:I've taken about 3 full preptests, and have done a bunch of logical reasoning sections (not sure how many, upwards of 10) and I keep getting, on average, 3 wrong per section. It's the weirdest thing, no matter what I do I can't seem to cut it down to less than 3 wrong on a consistent basis. Is this just the nature of the beast or is there something extra I can do to ensure fewer incorrect answers? The types of questions I get wrong vary from section to section, but usually 1 of them will be an assumption question. I guess it is just going to come down to practice, but it's almost comical how I get 3 wrong every time


Are you missing sufficient or necessary assumption questions?

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:13 pm

GratefulDead wrote:I have a sidenote question Kazu, what is your strat for success in RC, did you use mastery to drill this section as well?

No. All I did for RC was do PT sections. I never had much trouble with it though, so I didn't really pay too much attention to it - just made sure I was used to the more recent RC style & again, like LR, thoroughly reviewing any questions I got wrong.

Are you having a lot of trouble with RC?

GratefulDead
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby GratefulDead » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:13 am

Yeah RC I think might be my worst, if not LR. I get 0,-1 on LG, and LR used to be my worst but I'm getting much better, like -3, -4 a section, trying to get that down to 0 as well. RC though, which I haven't really started prepping yet is anywhere from -3 to -8. I used to think RC was easy, but lately I've been having a lot of trouble with both timing and answering the questions correctly. I think most of my focus from now on should just be practice sections of LR and RC, and LR by type.

tommynobody
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby tommynobody » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 am

vespertiliovir wrote:You could try the LR Bible -- I've never used it, but people seem to like it.

Most importantly, just keep doing practice sections/tests. You still haven't done very many in the grand scheme of things, so it's not too surprising you're not perfect yet.


The LSAT is an exercise in endurance.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 am

GratefulDead wrote:Yeah RC I think might be my worst, if not LR. I get 0,-1 on LG, and LR used to be my worst but I'm getting much better, like -3, -4 a section, trying to get that down to 0 as well. RC though, which I haven't really started prepping yet is anywhere from -3 to -8. I used to think RC was easy, but lately I've been having a lot of trouble with both timing and answering the questions correctly. I think most of my focus from now on should just be practice sections of LR and RC, and LR by type.


With practice you should get better, especially since you haven't really started prepping yet for RC. Maybe read a lot of LSAT-type dense material outside of normal "studying" hours as well. I had subscribed to the Economist for about a year before I took the LSAT, dunno if that helped but I was definitely used to that sort of dry-ish material. Since I never used study aids for RC, just did PT sections I don't know if RCB or anything else is worthwhile.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Hitting the wall on LR?

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Getting ONLY 3 wrong per section is F*ing amazing! Of course the goal is always to get 0 wrong per section, but wow thats good.

Take a break from LR. Do LG or RC.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bigv, cctv, cianchetta0, Google [Bot], Lahtso Nuggin, youngwarrior and 9 guests