My LSAT Study Progress & Spreadsheet

3|ink

Re: My LSAT Study Progress & Spreadsheet

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm

I skipped my TestMasters class tonight because it was pretty much impossible for me to make. It's a long story, but I basically am dogsitting for my sister and have to drive 45 minutes to her place from work, and that 45 minutes is in the opposite direction of the TestMasters class.

Anyway, I decided to take PT 28 tonight just for shits and giggles. I managed a 173. LR 1: -3, LR 2: -2, RC: -3, LG: -2, Exp. RC: -3. Everything kicked my ass tonight. I thought I owned games. I finished them 8 minutes early. Unfortunately, I made two stupid mistakes: one was a bubbling error and the other was a mistaken inference. FUCK. RC was probably the hardest part of this test. I'm somewhat satisfied with the -3 though all 3 wrong answers were correct before I went back and changed them (DOH!). LR was really tricky tonight. In fact, I think I'd have to disagree with much of the LSAC's reasoning.

LR 2, # 23

That's fucking stupid. I was aware that the stimulus said 'harm to others', which is why I wanted to eliminate E. However, the only other plausible answer was D. It was really hard to infer from D that considerable psychological harm would have followed if the mother had told the truth. I was expecting the stimulus to spell that out for us. Instead, they asked us to use outside knowledge to determine that answering that question would be psychologically painful, which is really really fucking stupid IMO. Up yours, LSAC.

LR 1, # 7

I now see why D is correct. However, I wanted to eliminate D because the action wasn't really a violation of the principles because the purpose of the allocation met the requirements. However, since the allocation did not guarantee the outcome, I suppose it was technically a violation. Again, fuck you LSAC.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:33 am

That outside knowledge thing is a double edged sword. How are you supposed to define the limits of "common sense knowledge" and "outside knowledge" ugh.

Tolmanator

Postby Tolmanator » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:36 am

3ink, I do not understand why you found the first LR question you discussed above (#23) to be so outrageous. Purely through process of elimination, as you suggested yourself, it is easy to see that "D" is the only one left standing. "E" does not even come close as Jamal was concerned for himself and not for others. Also, if a mother tells her child that she loves his sister more, it is not even a stretch to suppose that this would hurt that child......that is about as basic, as far as common knowledge is concerned, as you can get. Competing for mother's love is perennial and ubiquitous. Didn't you love your mother? ;)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 am

Tolmanator wrote:3ink, I do not understand why you found the first LR question you discussed above (#23) to be so outrageous. Purely through process of elimination, as you suggested yourself, it is easy to see that "D" is the only one left standing. "E" does not even come close as Jamal was concerned for himself and not for others. Also, if a mother tells her child that she loves his sister more, it is not even a stretch to suppose that this would hurt that child......that is about as basic, as far as common knowledge is concerned, as you can get. Competing for mother's love is perennial and ubiquitous. Didn't you love your mother? ;)

I have to disagree. The stimulus says 'considerable...psychological harm'. Perhaps it is the case that saying that would cause considerable harm, but I at least expected the answer choice to contain 'fearing it would cause significant harm' so that we don't have to import outside knowledge. The LSAC almost always punishes us for bringing in outside knowledge. That is what turned me off of answer choice D. I thought it was meant to tempt us. I picked E because it wouldn't be the first time the LSAC wrote a poor stimulus and expected us to include 'self' in 'others'. I can't find the exact question, but there was one somewhere between PTs 25-27 that said it was wrong to burn books because it improves the lives of future generations. It was a principle question. The correct answer was something like 'We should not burn books because it is better for our survival' or some junk.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:55 am

I don't think it's outrageous to believe that when a parent tells their children they love one over the other that it would cause significant psychological harm. We're expected to make this small assumptions all the time on the test. D clearly satisfies the condition of the principle. E is clearly wrong as the principle states it's to prevent harm to others, whereas A is to prevent harm to self. D is not an unreasonable assumption to make. I think you overanalyzed it and psyched yourself out. I bet most times you would have taken this PT you would have picked D.

3|ink wrote:
Tolmanator wrote:3ink, I do not understand why you found the first LR question you discussed above (#23) to be so outrageous. Purely through process of elimination, as you suggested yourself, it is easy to see that "D" is the only one left standing. "E" does not even come close as Jamal was concerned for himself and not for others. Also, if a mother tells her child that she loves his sister more, it is not even a stretch to suppose that this would hurt that child......that is about as basic, as far as common knowledge is concerned, as you can get. Competing for mother's love is perennial and ubiquitous. Didn't you love your mother? ;)

I have to disagree. The stimulus says 'considerable...psychological harm'. Perhaps it is the case that saying that would cause considerable harm, but I at least expected the answer choice to contain 'fearing it would cause significant harm' so that we don't have to import outside knowledge. The LSAC almost always punishes us for bringing in outside knowledge. That is what turned me off of answer choice D. I thought it was meant to tempt us. I picked E because it wouldn't be the first time the LSAC wrote a poor stimulus and expected us to include 'self' in 'others'. I can't find the exact question, but there was one somewhere between PTs 25-27 that said it was wrong to burn books because it improves the lives of future generations. It was a principle question. The correct answer was something like 'We should not burn books because it is better for our survival' or some junk.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 am

Anaconda wrote:I don't think it's outrageous to believe that when a parent tells their children they love one over the other that it would cause significant psychological harm. We're expected to make this small assumptions all the time on the test. D clearly satisfies the condition of the principle. E is clearly wrong as the principle states it's to prevent harm to others, whereas A is to prevent harm to self. D is not an unreasonable assumption to make. I think you overanalyzed it and psyched yourself out. I bet most times you would have taken this PT you would have picked D.

But that doesn't really address, as eit put it:

eit wrote:That outside knowledge thing is a double edged sword. How are you supposed to define the limits of "common sense knowledge" and "outside knowledge" ugh.

I'm chalking PT 28, LR 2 # 23 question up to piss-poor writing. I guess the LSAC can't be good at their job 100% of the time.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:20 pm

August 27, 2010

Took two LR sections from PT 23 today. I scored -3 and -1 respectively. Maybe I'm going too fast. For LR 1, I was on question 20 @ the 20 minute mark. That's nuts. I had 15 minutes to answer 6 questions. The best part is that 2 of my wrong answers were among those 6. HA! Maybe it's bacause I rushed through them anyway and finished @ 27 minutes. I think I took about the same amount of time with LR 2, but it was a bit easier.

I'm taking PT 37 tomorrow with an RC experimental I believe. I can hardly wait.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:35 pm

3|ink wrote:August 27, 2010

Took two LR sections from PT 23 today. I scored -3 and -1 respectively. Maybe I'm going too fast. For LR 1, I was on question 20 @ the 20 minute mark. That's nuts. I had 15 minutes to answer 6 questions. The best part is that 2 of my wrong answers were among those 6. HA! Maybe it's bacause I rushed through them anyway and finished @ 27 minutes. I think I took about the same amount of time with LR 2, but it was a bit easier.

You can suck my ballsack...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:41 pm

gdane5 wrote:

Was it something I said?

I stand corrected. I did LR 1 & 2 of PT 22 today (not PT 23).
Last edited by 3|ink on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:55 pm

3|ink wrote:
gdane5 wrote:

Was it something I said?

I stand corrected. I did LR 1 & 2 of PT 22 today.

Haha. Im just hating. Ive never been able to get -3 and/or -1 on a LR section. The most LR questions Ive ever gotten correct on one section was 21. That was such a good day...

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Your nickname btw, its "Blink" no?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:29 pm

nullisecundus wrote:Your nickname btw, its "Blink" no?

You got it :)

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:52 pm

3|ink wrote:

I read it as 3 Link.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:55 pm

eit wrote:
3|ink wrote:

I read it as 3 Link.

I question your reading comp! :mrgreen:

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:14 pm

eit wrote:I read it as 3 Link.

You're not the first.

AverageTutoring wrote:I question your reading comp! :mrgreen:

She's kicking my ass in RC, for what that's worth.

Rom4500

Postby Rom4500 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:02 pm

I also plan on taking the Dec. LSAT's unfortunately due to personal reasons I didn't get to prep much ahead Like I hoped to for them So I'm clearing out my schedule and prioritizing around my Studying schedule from now till then, I also plan on taking the full-length Test-masters course starting in October, Do you think you can help me set up a schedule like yours I hope I do as nearly as well as u did

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Rom4500 wrote:I also plan on taking the Dec. LSAT's unfortunately due to personal reasons I didn't get to prep much ahead Like I hoped to for them So I'm clearing out my schedule and prioritizing around my Studying schedule from now till then, I also plan on taking the full-length Test-masters course starting in October, Do you think you can help me set up a schedule like yours I hope I do as nearly as well as u did

I haven't taken the test yet, but I'm hoping I do well too. TestMasters is great and all, but before you sign up with them, I recommend taking a practice test to see where you stand. If you score 160+, then you may be better off studying on your own with the Powerscore bibles. It'll also depend on what kind of learner you are (classroom vs. book). TestMasters is most beneficial to the former. I'm personally a book learner, so TestMasters didn't help me as much as it helped two of my friends (both got 170+).

If you decide to take TestMasters, they'll give you so much homework that a study schedule will hardly be necessary. I'm personally not doing any of the TestMasters homework right now. I'm just picking-up on things in class. If you decide not to go with Testmasters, I recommend taking 2-3 PTs each week up to the exam. On days in-between, take practice sections to improve on your weak points. There's really nothing to it but that. Oh yeah. And make sure you pick up the powerscore bibles for LR and LG.

I'm PMing you a link to a spreadsheet leading up to December's LSAT (December 11th). Only you will have access to the link (though I may use it for future requests). Once you open the link, select 'file' and scroll to 'make a copy'. A copy of the spreadsheet will then be saved to your google.docs folder (assuming you have a gmail account).

I'll be posting more explicit instructions for using the spreadsheet within a few days.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:03 pm

August 28, 2010

I did PT 37 w/ LR 1 from PT 23 as experimental today. Score is as follows:

LR 1: -2
LR 2: -2
RC: -4
LG: 0
Exp: -3
Raw: 93
Scaled: 172
Feeling: bad

RC owned me. That was a really tough section. The forth passage was hardcore as hell (or so it seemed). Maybe I'll do RC tomorrow instead of games. Hmmmm. LR was okay, but my concentration was dwindling in and out throughout the test. I can't understand why. I'll have to figure that out within the next couple of weeks.

Edit: Reviewing my mistakes on LR, I think a lot of them come from the fact that I'm rushing too much. I finished both sections @ 28 mins and then went back to check for mistakes. I think I might be better off getting the answer right the first time around. I know it sounds crazy, but it's worth a shot.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:03 pm

3|ink wrote:August 28, 2010
Edit: Reviewing my mistakes on LR, I think a lot of them come from the fact that I'm rushing too much. I finished both sections @ 28 mins and then went back to check for mistakes. I think I might be better off getting the answer right the first time around. I know it sounds crazy, but it's worth a shot.

Your proposition is not crazy. In fact, it took me quite a few PrepTests to discover this golden nuget of information.

Everyone's answers to LR fall into two categories: those that we believe we have answered correctly and those that we are uncertain of our answer. The latter is conducive to reviewing: there is a reason why we were unsure and spending a little more time to convince ourselves of the correct answer is beneficial. However, most questions fall into the former which are not so conducive to reviewing.

Once we read, comprehend and answer a particular LR question it is awfully hard to convince ourselves that we are wrong. In fact, most of the time when we review these questions, we further our conviction in our original reasoning. Naturally, this doesn't help us when we reasoned incorrectly to begin with!

It's much better then to take the time to understand the argument and the questions the first time around. How does the argument work, how do the parts function/help the whole, what is flaw, etcetc. It takes time to actively think about this, but when we do, it's awfully hard to get the wrong answer.

This way, the one or two questions that we would have gotten wrong when we legitimately believed we got them right would be correct on the first go; and we wouldn't have to hope/pray that our review turned these guys up for us.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 pm

I agree - it's much harder to see mistakes when you're going back over them. If you've already picked an answer you feel an attachment to it (even if it's just subconsciously) because that's the answer you picked.

The only exception to the "try to get it right first try instead of reviewing if you have enough time" strategy is if you are just thinking THIS QUESTION MAKES NO SENSE and I don't THINK this answer is right but I'll put it down anyways and move on.

In that case, you're not really attached to the answer and you're still able to evaluate everything clearly on a review, but you're not wasting your life with that one question that just boggles your mind.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:58 pm

August 30, 2010

This is a new one. I was destroyed by games today (section one of PT 30). I got stuck on question seven until the clock ran out and said 'fuck it'. I turns out I misread the question (or misunderstood what it was asking). First and second mean first and second, not 'first and third'. Whatever. I haven't had a slack day in a while, so I figure this'll just be one of those.

In other news, my new spreadsheet is looking really good. I've found a way to make the 'schedule' sheet update the 'Prep. Tests' sheet automatically, and I've found a way to permit someone to formulate a study schedule using dynamic dropdown menus that recognize which tests have already been scheduled. I expect to release the upgrade sometime this week (perhaps tomorrow). I think it blows all other LSAT spreadsheets out of the water.

Edit: Oh yeah. And RC of PT 9 killed me too. I think the questions back then were much harder. This had more to do with poor writing than skillful writing on the part of the LSAC. I think I previously saw somebody mention how the early RC passages are poorly composed. If PT9 is representative of the whole, I'm inclined to agree.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:08 pm

3|ink wrote:August 28, 2010

I did PT 37 w/ LR 1 from PT 23 as experimental today. Score is as follows:

LR 1: -2
LR 2: -2
RC: -4
LG: 0
Exp: -3
Raw: 93
Scaled: 172
Feeling: bad

RC owned me. That was a really tough section. The forth passage was hardcore as hell (or so it seemed). Maybe I'll do RC tomorrow instead of games. Hmmmm. LR was okay, but my concentration was dwindling in and out throughout the test. I can't understand why. I'll have to figure that out within the next couple of weeks.

This RC was just hard. I'm very decent at RC averaging from -1 to -4. I went -7 on PT37 because the last passage was really, really tough. I had 11 min when i reach the last passage but out of the 5 questions. I only got 1 correct.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:22 pm

3link, I think you are in an AMAZING place in your testing where you think 172 is bad.

I have been recently scoring in the 170's, but seeing as I'm testing with PTs in the 30's, I still have a ways to go before I'm confident in my 170+ score-making ability. Perhaps when I'm in the mid-end 40's and I'm still there, I'll feel more confident.

Best of luck to you!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:27 pm

August 31, 2010

Well...it's official. I think I'm burning out. I tried taking another 5 section test today, but I simply couldn't concentrate at all on the first section. The only cure I can think of is rest and relaxation. I'll try again tomorrow.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:29 pm

September 1, 2010

Shit. Another shitty day. Games were first section of PT 31 and they killed me. I don't get it. I was on a great streak with games and now they're killing me.

Going to spend all day tomorrow going over games before TM class. Game 4 of PT 31 was like nothing I've seen before. I couldn't figure out how to organize the data.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”