My LSAT Study Progress & Spreadsheet

3|ink

Re: My LSAT Study Progress & Spreadsheet

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:I made something similar a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I also set it up to automatically calculate my mean, median and mode scores for each section type and overall as well (both raw score and scaled score). I also got bored and created a "predictor formula" that would predict what my next score would be (taking into account avg improvement on most recent tests and a weighted average of most recent tests, amongst other variables) that worked reasonably well.

it would also tell me if I did better on tests with easier or harder scales (I did better on more forgiving scales/harder tests, as it gave me more room to make random dumb mistakes)

I'll wait until I compile a week's worth of data before I attempt anything like that, but not a bad idea.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Please please share with us!

Audio Technica Guy wrote:I made something similar a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I also set it up to automatically calculate my mean, median and mode scores for each section type and overall as well (both raw score and scaled score). I also got bored and created a "predictor formula" that would predict what my next score would be (taking into account avg improvement on most recent tests and a weighted average of most recent tests, amongst other variables) that worked reasonably well.

it would also tell me if I did better on tests with easier or harder scales (I did better on more forgiving scales/harder tests, as it gave me more room to make random dumb mistakes)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 pm

August 4, 2010

A bitter-sweet evening. I managed a -1 on my practice reading comprehension, but I scored a terrible -5 on my logical reasoning section. I'll have to re-evaluate my logical reasoning training in the weeks to come. Perhaps I need more.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 am

8/5/10

Took one LR section before class. Interestingly, since reading the LR bible, I have improved on parallel reasoning questions, but I seem to have lost ground on 'point of disagreement' and 'method of reasoning' questions. Aside from that, I seem to be having temporary lapses of concentration.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:57 pm

8/7/10

Took a break yesterday because I felt I needed one. I'm glad I did.

Took PT 34 today with the RC from PT 19 first as experimental. I scored as follows: RC -3, LR1 - 3, LR2 -6, LG -2, RC(exp.) -4 for a total of -14 for the actual test and a raw score of 87. The scaled conversion is a 169.

I'm noticing significant lapses in concentration lately. I missed a lot of easy LR and LG questions. The biggest difference between my schedule from today and that of Tuesday (when I scored a 177) was that I slept in today and didn't eat breakfast. I'm going to try taking the test early in the morning next Saturday (10 AM) after eating a breakfast at 8.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:10 pm

August 9, 2010

I forced myself to take PT 35 today. I was tired. I was unfocused. However, I won't be able to use that excuse on the actual test. My score was as follows:

Exp. RC -2
LR1 -1
RC -4
LG -3
LR2 -4

Raw score: 89
Scaled: 170

I knew I was losing focus on the second half of the test. I'm attributing it to lack of sleep the night before. I still managed to finish both LRs with 5 minutes to spare. I finished RC with 5 as well. I barely finished LG on time. One game seemed to trip me up. I'll have to go over it tomorrow. RC was probably the harest part of this test. I'm not exactly pleased with a -4, but I'm not convinced that my performance on these past two tests is representative of my abilities at this time.

My next test will be Saturday. I will be well rested. I will have a full stomach. I will have no excused. I will conquer.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 am

3|ink wrote:
eit wrote:I just spent the past twenty minutes creating a document tracking all of the prep test sections I've used and which ones I've left untouched. In comparison to your magical spreadsheet, my little Word document seems a little sad. Ah, well.

Congrats on that 177!

Thanks.

If you'd like, I can send you the original excel version of the "prep. test" sheet. I created this thing in excel before uploading to google.docs.

I think I need to accept that I am prone to organization only in fits and starts and thus am not an organizational genius like you. I'm not even updating my sad little sheet. Haha. But thanks.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 am

Your spreadsheet is awesome. I must say it's a surprisingly great motivator too and customizing the boxes with a color system is delightfully addicting.

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:11 am

How can I go about making a spreadsheet like this?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:40 am

nodummy wrote:How can I go about making a spreadsheet like this?

If you'd like, I can email you a copy of mine and you can build it from that. PM me your email and I'll see to it.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Someone asked for help modifying this spreadsheet from google chat today. I'm sorry. I was away from my computer at the time.

Let me first say that my spreadsheet is hardly the most impressive one ever designed. However, if you like it, you are welcomed to use it. You have two options:

1.) You can download it directly from the link. Hit "File"-> "Download as"-> "Excel"
2.) PM me your email and I'll email it to you.

If you want an online spreadsheet, all you have to do is create a gmail account. Log in to your account. Click on "documents" at the top left of the page. From there, upload your spreadsheet and change it to "sharing" mode.

If you have any specific questions about changing the spreadsheet to meet your schedule, feel free to PM me.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:21 pm

August 11, 2010

I was brutally sodomized tonight by PT 36. I thought I kicking it's ass until I scored it. I have no idea what threw me off. I finished every section 5 minutes early and with confidence. Concentration was a problem, but no more than usual. I was expecting a score in the upper 170s. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 am

3|ink wrote:August 11, 2010

I was brutally sodomized tonight by PT 36. I thought I kicking it's ass until I scored it. I have no idea what threw me off. I finished every section 5 minutes early and with confidence. Concentration was a problem, but no more than usual. I was expecting a score in the upper 170s. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

Don't worry about it my friend. There are two brutal RC passages on that exam (the Latin one and the science one) that are so mind numbingly dense and hard to follow that one cannot help but want to shoot themselves in the face. The only benefit was for the scientific passage they made the questions really easy, so even if you understood nothing of the passage (which I certainly did not) you wouldn't be totally fucked.

Games were also slightly harder than average as well.

What LR questions gave you a go, if you don't mind me asking? There were 2 or so really sneaky, sneaky ones that definately had me going (I want to see if you fell into the same trap as I did :D )

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:25 am

AverageTutoring wrote:

Don't worry about it my friend. There are two brutal RC passages on that exam (the Latin one and the science one) that are so mind numbingly dense and hard to follow that one cannot help but want to shoot themselves in the face. The only benefit was for the scientific passage they made the questions really easy, so even if you understood nothing of the passage (which I certainly did not) you wouldn't be totally fucked.

What LR questions gave you a go, if you don't mind me asking? There were 2 or so really sneaky, sneaky ones that definately had me going (I want to see if you fell into the same trap as I did :D )

I missed most of my questions on the first RC passage (about communities). The other RC misses were scattered. LG was annoying, but I found that most of my mistakes were reading errors. It was the last section, so I think my concentration was just shot. Anyway, missed 2 on the first game, 1 on the third game and 1 on the last.

LR 2 genuinely kicked my butt. I'm attributing most of my misses to fatigue, though. I missed the assumption question about using machines (#14), the question about who committed a flaw in reasoning (#21) and the last one about a fifth force. The other two misses were less extraordinary.

That about sums it up. The only remedy I can think of is to take another test asap.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:36 am

3|ink wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:

I missed most of my questions on the first RC passage (about communities). The other misses were scattered. LG was annoying, but I found that most of my mistakes were reading errors. It was the last section, so I think my concentration was just shot. Anyway, missed 2 on the first game, 1 on the third game and 1 on the last.

LR 2 genuinely kicked my butt. I'm attributing most of my misses to fatigue, though. I missed the assumption question about using machines (#14), the question about who committed a flaw in reasoning (#21) and the last one about a fifth force. The other two misses were less extraordinary.

That about sums it up. The only remedy I can think of is to take another test asap.

I feel the same way about those games. They arn't hard persay but when you're feeling the crunch of the clock and start to panic a little bit your diagramming skills go way down hill very quickly; and without the proper diagram for that bus game, well...boom goes the dynamite!

I don't know how you did well on that science passage. That in itself is a great feat!

LR1: #24 got me hard. I understand LSAC's reasoning on this one but I simply disagree. We’re allowed to do that you know :D

For LR2 #14, if I was to take a guess, I would say you answered B? Could definitely see how this would have been tricky if you were fatigued.

LR2 #21 was a dusey for sure. I also didn't care for #20 very much either (not to imply I got it wrong on the first go :mrgreen: ).

But for sure another PT is the way to go. Sometimes you just make mistakes and there's no discernable reason why. PT 37 will treat you much better I have no doubts.

Keep us posted!

MeechiganBoy

Postby MeechiganBoy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 am

that is awesome

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:52 am

AverageTutoring wrote:
3|ink wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:

I missed most of my questions on the first RC passage (about communities). The other misses were scattered. LG was annoying, but I found that most of my mistakes were reading errors. It was the last section, so I think my concentration was just shot. Anyway, missed 2 on the first game, 1 on the third game and 1 on the last.

I feel the same way about those games. They arn't hard persay but when you're feeling the crunch of the clock and start to panic a little bit your diagramming skills go way down hill very quickly; and without the proper diagram for that bus game, well...boom goes the dynamite!

I don't know how you did well on that science passage. That in itself is a great feat!

LR1: #24 got me hard. I understand LSAC's reasoning on this one but I simply disagree. We’re allowed to do that you know :D

For LR2 #14, if I was to take a guess, I would say you answered B? Could definitely see how this would have been tricky if you were fatigued.

LR2 #21 was a dusey for sure. I also didn't care for #20 very much either (not to imply I got it wrong on the first go :mrgreen: ).

But for sure another PT is the way to go. Sometimes you just make mistakes and there's no discernable reason why. PT 37 will treat you much better I have no doubts.

Keep us posted!

Thank you. I got 24 on LR1, but I think it's because I've seen that one before. That was the one question I recognized from studying last december. It's hard to forget a question like that.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:20 pm

August 12, 2010

Took LR 1 & 2 from PT 20. Scored -1 and -2 respectively. Could be worse. Could be better. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

I missed the very first question of LR2. WTF? It was hard as shit. I wasted a good 2 minutes on that.

Anyway, I finished section 1 one with 3 minutes to spare and 2 with 2 minutes to spare (that's after finishing the section and going back to check the ones that gave me trouble). Could have been a worse day.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:51 pm

3|ink wrote:I call it Operation: "About-Face". Kudos to you if you get it.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... hJ8L#gid=0

I'll be updating every day.

Originally, I created this thread for other people to post their LSAT progress spreadsheets. Due to lack of interest, I'm shifting the focus of this thread to something even less interesting: my progress. I guess this'll be my progress diary. We all need something to keep us sane while studying for this thing. This will be my sanity pill.

edit: nevermind, figured it out.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:10 pm

sanetruth wrote:
3|ink wrote:I call it Operation: "About-Face". Kudos to you if you get it.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... hJ8L#gid=0

I'll be updating every day.

Originally, I created this thread for other people to post their LSAT progress spreadsheets. Due to lack of interest, I'm shifting the focus of this thread to something even less interesting: my progress. I guess this'll be my progress diary. We all need something to keep us sane while studying for this thing. This will be my sanity pill.

How did you get two sets of data on one graph? Like in your LR trend chart. I can't seem to figure that out, every time I try and select two sets of data (in addition to what I want the X axis to be) it says its invalid or just does something crazy.

Here's a screen print. Look to the far left. See the three columns (C, D & E)? They represent the data on the LR graph. In order to place two data sets on one axis, you need a separate column for each. Once you have your table set, highlight the columns and create the graph.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3X1Ru ... y=CL-0sKcK

The best part about this is that all of that data from sheet one (schedule) feeds to these columns. Thus, updating the graphs requires little work. Each cell in columns LR1 and LR2 represent their corresponding cells in the Schedule sheet. Thus, whenever I update the schedule sheet, the graph updates automatically.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:20 pm

8/13/10

LR owned me again today. Christ. These were fairly easy sections. There's no excuse. W/E. Tomorrow is another day.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:59 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm

8/14/2010

I killed a fifth of Jameson last night. In my prime, that was manageable. However, I'm a lightweight these days. I'm not even going to attempt to study today.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:58 pm

August 16, 2010

After hearing of PT 27 from eit and Anaconda, I had to try it myself. They weren't kidding. Those games were rough. LR was tough too, but I felt like I was concentrating better today than usual. I credit that to the fact that I've upped my daily calorie consumption. My score was still shy of what I was expecting. I thought I had a flawless RC section, but apparently that wasn't the case. I'll have to go over that tomorrow.

Anyway, got a raw score of 87 for a scaled score of 172. -16 curve? Woot!

Tomorrow is PT 26. Joy!!!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 pm

PT 27 is a nasty piece of work, although I actually got a pretty decent score on it. Snakes and lizards is just really hard to do without hypotheticals up the whazoo and you lose a lot of time on it.

I'm going to take PT 26 tomorrow as well. Solidarity, sister!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”