My LSAT Study Progress & Spreadsheet

3|ink

My LSAT Study Progress & Spreadsheet

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:26 pm

I call it Operation: "About-Face". Kudos to you if you get it.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... hJ8L#gid=0

I've stopped updating because the test is close enough to keep me motivated now. This was more for when the test was 2 months away. It really kept me working then.

Update: 9/20/10

Due to popular demand, I have created a blank copy of the spreadsheet available for download here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CIOv1pAB

I also have a far superior spreadsheet available for download here:

Microsoft Office 2005+ - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3X1Ru ... ist&num=50

Microsoft Office 2003 - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3X1Ru ... ist&num=50

Instructions - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3X1Ru ... ist&num=50

If you have trouble downloading the spreadsheet, email or PM me and I'll send you a copy. Let me know if you have office 2003 or Office 2005+.

Thanks,
Last edited by 3|ink on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 12 times in total.

thegrayman

Re: Link Your Study Timelines from Google.docs Here!

Postby thegrayman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:28 pm

that is pretty badass, good idea

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Interesting schedule. Do you worry about your accuracy much more than your stamina? I'm inferring (OED definition, not LSAT definition) that from the fact that you aren't doing tons of five-section tests, but rather many groupings of two sections.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Interesting schedule. Do you worry about your accuracy much more than your stamina? I'm inferring (OED definition, not LSAT definition) that from the fact that you aren't doing tons of five-section tests, but rather many groupings of two sections.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Not at all. Totally legit question. I'm limiting myself to 2-3 tests a week because I hear that you'll burn-out otherwise. That schedule is subject to change, however. I may go to 3 tests a week all throughout September. The great thing is that if I do change it, the linked document will automatically update.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Holy crap.... Have you realized how much HW testmasters gives? How are you going to be able to finish all the hw AND do those sections during the week? I think this is only possible if you're studying 12 hours a day...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Holy crap.... Have you realized how much HW testmasters gives? How are you going to be able to finish all the hw AND do those sections during the week? I think this is only possible if you're studying 12 hours a day...

I've taken TM before. I'm not doing their HW this time around. I have the basic concepts down. I'm just taking the course again to get pointers during the lessons.

I realize it's costly, but it's coming out of my mortgage fund. I'm not buying a house anytime soon in this market anyway.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm

I see. I'm currently in a TestMasters course and they've said that by the time you finish the course you'll have done every question in existence. When you're doing your PT's do you remember some of the questions from when you took the course?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:I see. I'm currently in a TestMasters course and they've said that by the time you finish the course you'll have done every question in existence. When you're doing your PT's do you remember some of the questions from when you took the course?

Yep. However, for most, I don't remember any of the major deductions or nuances. I just remember the topics. Thus, it doesn't inflate my scores that much.

3|ink

Re: My LSAT Study Progress & Spreadsheet

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:58 pm

8/3/10

I took PT 33 today w/ an experimental RC. 177. Holy shit.

Both RC sections kicked my ass. Still, RC was probably the harest part of this test. A -3 isn't bad considering this. I think my person RC strategy really came in handy tonight. Tomorrow is 3 straight sections of RC. Oh boy!

I finished LR 1 with 5 minutes to spare. I finished LR 2 with 11 minutes to spare. I finished LG with 3 minutes to spare. I'd say this was a good night's work.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 pm

3|ink wrote:I call it Operation: "About-Face". Kudos to you if you get it.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... hJ8L#gid=0

I'll be updating every day.

Originally, I created this thread for other people to post their LSAT progress spreadsheets. Due to lack of interest, I'm shifting the focus of this thread to something even less interesting: My progress. I guess this'll be my progress diary. We all need something to keep us sane while studying for this thing. This will be my sanity pill.

That looks beautiful man. Best of luck to ya!

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:23 pm

This is an excellent idea. Looks like you're making very good progress. Keep it up!

I'm kinda doing the same thing myself but I haven't strictly planned out my non-PT practice like you have. Also, I like your PT schedule. Personally, I'm taking a PT every 3 days or so - I find this prevents burn-out but encourages consistency at the same time.

JeanGrey

Postby JeanGrey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 pm

I think thats an excellent idea. I may try to do something similar. Thanks for the idea!

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm very impressed that you have no problem with timing at this point. What kind of things were you doing that got you over the timing problem for RC and LR?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:27 am

DGLitcH wrote:I'm very impressed that you have no problem with timing at this point. What kind of things were you doing that got you over the timing problem for RC and LR?

I still have a problem with timing RC. I only finished early for the other sections. With LR, it was just a matter of practice. I think you eventually develop a sixth sense that allows you to spot the structure of the argument quickly.

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:34 am

3|ink wrote:
DGLitcH wrote:I'm very impressed that you have no problem with timing at this point. What kind of things were you doing that got you over the timing problem for RC and LR?

I still have a problem with timing RC. I only finished early for the other sections. With LR, it was just a matter of practice. I think you eventually develop a sixth sense that allows you to spot the structure of the argument quickly.

My score fluctuates a lot with RC, it really is going to make or break my LSAT score. And TM doesn't seem to have any solid RC strategy either unfortunately. You were saying earlier that your RC strategy came in handy, what strategy are you employing for RC right?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:04 am

DGLitcH wrote:
3|ink wrote:

My score fluctuates a lot with RC, it really is going to make or break my LSAT score. And TM doesn't seem to have any solid RC strategy either unfortunately. You were saying earlier that your RC strategy came in handy, what strategy are you employing for RC right?

My strategy is half-personally invented and half borrowed from someone who posted on this forum ages ago. I can't find the link to the thread, but his main point was that you absorb information more efficiently when you are actively looking for it. I know it seems obvious, but it's harder to grasp in practice than in theory.

Of course, the question everyone asks is “What do I notate?” I think that depends on the person. Here’s my comprehensive list of things that I make note of:

1) Parties with opinions – Whenever you see “some scientists postulate” or “the majority of people believe”, etc., it would be wise to make note of this. TM’s strategy doesn’t explicitly say this, but I think it is implied. Moreover, I think that the way that you make note of this can make the difference between forgetting them and committing them to memory. My strategy is to assign every party of opinion with alphabetical letters beginning with A. This does two things: 1) reminds me to look out for parties of opinion and 2) gives me an idea of exactly how many opinions are in the passage by the time I’m finished. The letters themselves have little meaning.
2) Cause/effect relationships – these aren’t always easy to keep track of even with proper notation. I ran into a difficult passage about platypus beaks today. I must have wasted a good minute on one of their cause/effect questions.
3) Author’s opinion – Any word that slightly suggests the author’s opinion. I mark these “AO”. This would be the only party of opinion that I would not notate the same way as the others. “AO” has yet to cause confusion with my “A” party, but it may very well some day.
4) Points of concession – These are often subtle. That’s what makes them likely to appear as questions.
5) Structure – I try and write an abstract one word description of each paragraph right next to it.
6) Details and or lists – I use a circle to notate lists and lately I’ve just been underlining the obscure details and examples.

This list is by no means competely comprehensive. There are things that appear in questions that are not listed above. It is still my work in progress. However, employing this strategy has made RC much easier for me.

PCSur

Postby PCSur » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am

Hey I am doing a similar schedule, minus the Testmasters, for the Dec. Test. On the days that you arn't doing full prep-tests I noticed that you are doing all one type of section (either, LR, RC, LG). I was planning on doing a mix of RC, LR and some games on my non-test days, and wondered why you chose to do all of the same type, have you had success with that strategy? I could see it being beneficial for working on specific problems relating to that section.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am

PCSur wrote:Hey I am doing a similar schedule, minus the Testmasters, for the Dec. Test. On the days that you arn't doing full prep-tests I noticed that you are doing all one type of section (either, LR, RC, LG). I was planning on doing a mix of RC, LR and some games on my non-test days, and wondered why you chose to do all of the same type, have you had success with that strategy? I could see it being beneficial for working on specific problems relating to that section.

The idea was that focusing on one subject would make me miserable. I have to practice misery for the test. However, in hindsight, I think I may shift to 1 LR, 1 RC or LG a night. The truth is that there are as many LR sections as there are RC and LG combined. I'm going to have to do LR daily.

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for posting that! From that list, Cause & Effect seems to always escape me. I guess the causal argument is usually argued in a much larger context in RC, for example in an entire paragraph rather than in 1 sentence like in LR.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 am

If you make a blank spreadsheet for everyone, I vote sticky. This is awesome.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 am

Anaconda wrote:If you make a blank spreadsheet for everyone, I vote sticky. This is awesome.

You want one? They're easy to set-up.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:55 pm

3|ink wrote:
Anaconda wrote:If you make a blank spreadsheet for everyone, I vote sticky. This is awesome.

You want one? They're easy to set-up.[/ quote]

Already customized one for myself. I love the setup of the spreadsheet.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:34 pm

I just spent the past twenty minutes creating a document tracking all of the prep test sections I've used and which ones I've left untouched. In comparison to your magical spreadsheet, my little Word document seems a little sad. Ah, well.

Congrats on that 177!

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 pm

I made something similar a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I also set it up to automatically calculate my mean, median and mode scores for each section type and overall as well (both raw score and scaled score). I also got bored and created a "predictor formula" that would predict what my next score would be (taking into account avg improvement on most recent tests and a weighted average of most recent tests, amongst other variables) that worked reasonably well.

it would also tell me if I did better on tests with easier or harder scales (I did better on more forgiving scales/harder tests, as it gave me more room to make random dumb mistakes)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:45 pm

eit wrote:I just spent the past twenty minutes creating a document tracking all of the prep test sections I've used and which ones I've left untouched. In comparison to your magical spreadsheet, my little Word document seems a little sad. Ah, well.

Congrats on that 177!

Thanks.

If you'd like, I can send you the original excel version of the "prep. test" sheet. I created this thing in excel before uploading to google.docs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”