How hard is it to land a LSAT Tutor Job...

jimmy78

How hard is it to land a LSAT Tutor Job...

Postby jimmy78 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Let's say you have the required LSAT score: how hard is it to land a LSAT Tutor Job with Kaplan, Powerscore, etc. ??

And number two, are these positions steady work and decent pay??

Thanks in advance!

acrossthelake

Re: How hard is it to land a LSAT Tutor Job...

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Depends where you interview. My interviewer cut me off 30 seconds into my audition and gave me the job.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:47 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Depends where you interview. My interviewer cut me off 30 seconds into my audition and gave me the job.

low-cut top?

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:51 pm

What's the req'd lsat cutoff?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:What's the req'd lsat cutoff?

depends which company. Within Kaplan, it varies from center to center - could be 90th percentile (164) or the 95th percentile. I think PR requires higher.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 pm

TommyK wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Depends where you interview. My interviewer cut me off 30 seconds into my audition and gave me the job.

low-cut top?

Lol, nah. Pastel button-up from Banana Republic.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:12 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
TommyK wrote:

low-cut top?

Ooo, tell me more

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Did you take the job? Kaplan offered me a job, but I turned them down

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:05 pm

TommyK wrote:
audrey hepburn wrote:What's the req'd lsat cutoff?

depends which company. Within Kaplan, it varies from center to center - could be 90th percentile (164) or the 95th percentile. I think PR requires higher.

Princeton Review's cutoff is 98th percentile.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:06 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
TommyK wrote:

low-cut top?

TM.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:43 am

3|ink wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
TommyK wrote:

low-cut top?

TM.

What's TM? Too much?

thecilent wrote:

Did you take the job? Kaplan offered me a job, but I turned them down

Yeah, it's money. Haven't started training yet though and honestly not sure how to fit it into my schedule, plus to be honest I never used a single test prep method from any company or book, so I'm a little nervous about teaching one. Why'd you turn them down?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:48 am

acrossthelake wrote:Yeah, it's money. Haven't started training yet though and honestly not sure how to fit it into my schedule, plus to be honest I never used a single test prep method from any company or book, so I'm a little nervous about teaching one. Why'd you turn them down?

It's just, they charge so much money for their prep-classes, it's such a ripoff. And they do not pay their instructors anything near what I think they should be, considering the amount of money they make.

So I informally hold a weekly LSAT class on my campus for anyone who is interested (for free, obviously).

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:53 am

acrossthelake wrote:What's TM? Too much?

TestMasters. However, "too much" would also apply. If I were female, I'd literally go to interviews naked.

PS: Let me make it clear that I would do this simply because I know that most jerk-ass office managers will only hire women when they are attracted to them. It's sad.
Last edited by 3|ink on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am

TestMasters requires a score of 170+, and they have a weeklong, intense training program.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Stringer6 wrote:TestMasters requires a score of 170+, and they have a weeklong, intense training program.

I don't understand how some TM teachers do this full time. The pay is nice, but at 8 hours a week? I could only see doing it as a student.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:46 pm

thecilent wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Yeah, it's money. Haven't started training yet though and honestly not sure how to fit it into my schedule, plus to be honest I never used a single test prep method from any company or book, so I'm a little nervous about teaching one. Why'd you turn them down?

It's just, they charge so much money for their prep-classes, it's such a ripoff. And they do not pay their instructors anything near what I think they should be, considering the amount of money they make.

So I informally hold a weekly LSAT class on my campus for anyone who is interested (for free, obviously).

It's true. I like teaching though. I enjoy it. And I didn't get hired to be an intro to neuro TA :-( so I wanted to get my teaching fix in some other way. That's really nice that you do that for free. How many people go?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
thecilent wrote:

It's true. I like teaching though. I enjoy it. And I didn't get hired to be an intro to neuro TA :-( so I wanted to get my teaching fix in some other way. That's really nice that you do that for free. How many people go?

Last year it was anywhere from like 6 - 16 kids at any given meeting - usually around 10 or so. You'd be surprised at the number of students who have no idea how important the LSAT actually is..

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Which testprep companies tend to hire student, and where would one apply?

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:00 pm

http://www.princetonreview.com/teach-fo ... eview.aspx

If you want to teach for Princeton Review.

This is usually where I start looking for new teachers.

Also, usually the direct email address to the operation manager's hiring email is: hire(insert city you want to work in)@review.com

Like if you wanted to teach in topeka, you could try hiretopeka@review.com. Sometimes that's not the correct address though and most small and midsize markets don't have their own email address. Like my office is in charge of hiring for 6 other small-mid sized cities.

you can also call 1-800-2review and just get people to forward you to the relevant phone number. (this is actually what I did way back in the day)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”