tips for improving mental stamina Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
longdaysjourney

Bronze

tips for improving mental stamina

Post by longdaysjourney » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Does maintaining a high-level of focus through entire timed PrepTests come with practice? Any tips for improving mental stamina?

3|ink

Platinum

Re: tips for improving mental stamina

Post by 3|ink » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Yeah. Watch 'The Hills'.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:21 pm

JK. It's just a matter of practice. Keep taking prep tests.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:38 pm

Yes.
I know this isn't widely recommended, but you might try doing one basically every day at the time you'd be taking the test.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Some things I did to build mental stamina en route to a 99+ %ile score:

Took more than 1 PT consecutively. I think I did up to 8 straight sections without a significant break a few times, and also took 2 separate entire PTs in a day on several occasions.

Took sections in less than 35 minutes to practice completing them with time to spare to go back to hard questions, double check answers, and fix bubbling. After I was comfortable completing sections in 35 minutes, worked it down to 30-31 minutes as was possible.

What I wish I had done:

Prepared for the awful awful waiting that precedes the test. While there's no real way to recreate the nerves of the real thing, I wish I had done some Saturday morning PTs with a forced hour sitting with nothing to do. That aspect was the most shocking for me on test day, and I was definitely not in my element for the first section.

Don't burn out though - if you feel you are regressing, take a couple of days completely off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:18 pm

yeff wrote:What I wish I had done:

Prepared for the awful awful waiting that precedes the test. While there's no real way to recreate the nerves of the real thing, I wish I had done some Saturday morning PTs with a forced hour sitting with nothing to do. That aspect was the most shocking for me on test day, and I was definitely not in my element for the first section.

wow very interesting stuff. never thought of this.

navi786

New

Post by navi786 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 am

I just took 2-3 LGs and the economist to read... for the first 30 mins of wait.. then listened to some fav. songs to cheeer me up and avoid the dumb questions of "are u prepared ?"

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 am

Nightrunner wrote:a. always PT with an experimental section (i.e. test 5 sections). Sometimes, towards the end, I even did six...just for the hell of it, just to know that I could easily rock 5 on the big day.

b. develop the same pregame, and choose warmups that help your mind. For the last few PTs, I always woke up at the same time I would on test day, ate the same breakfast (bowl of honey nut cheerios, banana), had the same cup of coffee and smoke, and did one game before PTing.
Very credited. Also yeff's advice about preparing for the horrible wait before the exam - it took well over an hour when I took the LSAT. By the time we started my adrenaline rush was wearing off.

All of this only comes with practice though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”