Just Began Studying- Phoenix AZ, Oct 2010 LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Adam0048

New

Just Began Studying- Phoenix AZ, Oct 2010 LSAT

Post by Adam0048 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Ken or anyone who has advice,
I have just begun studying for the LSAT in October, I have not taken any practice tests and currently only have a PowerScore book for studying. I am looking for steps to help take me from 0 to 110% in the next two months in time for the October 2010 LSAT.
I have reviewed the forums and have begun looking for a course in the Phoenix area that fits my needs... I am looking for all the advice I can get. I really do not want to wait until the December LSAT because by that point I will be "behind the 8 ball" in applying for law school starting in Fall 2011.
To give you a little background on me, I am not a great standardized test taker, for my undergrad I went to the University of Arizona where I double majored in business management and Entrepreneurship (taking 5 years to complete) finishing with a 3.48 overall. I currently work for 40-45 hours per week (8:30-5:30, most days) and would like a course that fits into my schedule.
My main question is do you believe I should ramp up my studying and looking to find a course within the next week or so to take the October test or do you think it would best suit me to take the test in December and attempt to get into a tier 2 law school. Also, what book would you recommend out of the group for the 2010 LSAT and if you wouldnt mind to post it again what course(s) you hightly recommend. Thank you so much, I very greatly appreciate your help!

P.S. My ideal law school would be UT Austin, it is a great law school however, I understand I would need a 167 (most likely higher to make up for my GPA deficency against the 3.71 average they had this year. Or a school in the Washington D.C. area. Thanks again!!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Just Began Studying- Phoenix AZ, Oct 2010 LSAT

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 pm

Powerscores LG bible and LR bible are a must.

Always do practice with real LSATs.

I would take a diagnostic and see how you do first. Pithypike's stickied guide here is helpful but you can condense it to a stricter timeline if you want to take the october LSAT.

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:09 am

Adam0048 wrote: My main question is do you believe I should ramp up my studying and looking to find a course within the next week or so to take the October test or do you think it would best suit me to take the test in December and attempt to get into a tier 2 law school.

ITE, I wouldn't settle for a Tier 2 unless it is one of the strongest schools in the region I want to practice, and I'm given full ride.

I think 2 full months could be okay for some, but if you're not a good test taker, it'll probably be a little on the short side especially if you're not putting in the time. Have you even done any sections of the LSAT to see if you have at least a comprehension of what it tests? I can't comment on LSAT prep courses in AZ, but it might be difficult right now to find an open class for the Oct test with your schedule. I'd suggest read though the pithypike guide & the LSAT blog 2 month and see what you can work into with your schedule. http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/2- ... edule.html

You'll be behind a lot of other students who apply in the fall, but applying late December does not automatically banish you to a T2 school. Your chances will probably be better if you took the couple extra months and scored higher, then rushing through prep course - getting a mediocre score, and applying 2 months earlier.

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:07 am

Adam0048 wrote:Ken or anyone who has advice,
I have just begun studying for the LSAT in October, I have not taken any practice tests and currently only have a PowerScore book for studying. I am looking for steps to help take me from 0 to 110% in the next two months in time for the October 2010 LSAT.
I have reviewed the forums and have begun looking for a course in the Phoenix area that fits my needs... I am looking for all the advice I can get. I really do not want to wait until the December LSAT because by that point I will be "behind the 8 ball" in applying for law school starting in Fall 2011.
To give you a little background on me, I am not a great standardized test taker, for my undergrad I went to the University of Arizona where I double majored in business management and Entrepreneurship (taking 5 years to complete) finishing with a 3.48 overall. I currently work for 40-45 hours per week (8:30-5:30, most days) and would like a course that fits into my schedule.
My main question is do you believe I should ramp up my studying and looking to find a course within the next week or so to take the October test or do you think it would best suit me to take the test in December and attempt to get into a tier 2 law school. Also, what book would you recommend out of the group for the 2010 LSAT and if you wouldnt mind to post it again what course(s) you hightly recommend. Thank you so much, I very greatly appreciate your help!

P.S. My ideal law school would be UT Austin, it is a great law school however, I understand I would need a 167 (most likely higher to make up for my GPA deficency against the 3.71 average they had this year. Or a school in the Washington D.C. area. Thanks again!!

Adam, I'm from AZ. I just started studying. I signed up for the full length powerscore class that starts aug 12

jimmy78

New

Post by jimmy78 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm starting my studying now too...
Adam0048 wrote:Ken or anyone who has advice,

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”