PowerScore vs. Kaplan

jshah02
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:31 pm

PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby jshah02 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi,

I am debating which is better prep class. I am looking to take online classes with either PowerScore or Kaplan and I wanted input on which one to go with.

Thank you,

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby booboo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 pm

My opinion towards the Kaplan course would be that it usually caters to those that score near and below the 50th percentile on the LSAT, while PowerScore has a more likely chance to have initial scorers with higher percentile scores. This is, in part due to the nature of the two programs, one is a specialized and significantly smaller company (PowerScore) and the other is a test prep behemoth (Kaplan).

I'd recommend PowerScore if you have familiarity with what the LSAT tests and feel comfortable with it, and Kaplan if you do not.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 pm

jshah02 wrote:Hi,

I am debating which is better prep class. I am looking to take online classes with either PowerScore or Kaplan and I wanted input on which one to go with.

Thank you,


Here's the word on the street:

Having never taken a Kaplan class, I only know it has a terrible reputation. I hear the PowerScore classes are great, but you are better off just buying their books since those cover all of their course material. If you're looking for the best online class, you should probably go with BluePrint. They have a good quality rating. However, if you decide to take a location course (not online) TestMasters has the best reputation.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby DorianGray89 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Go with TestMasters; if I'm not mistaken Kaplan doesn't always use real LSAT questions in the classroom, they make up their own problems, while TestMasters doesn't. You don't have to be familiar with the LSAT to take TestMasters, they will teach you everything you need to know. Forget about Kaplan.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby sibley » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 pm

3|ink wrote:
jshah02 wrote:Hi,

I am debating which is better prep class. I am looking to take online classes with either PowerScore or Kaplan and I wanted input on which one to go with.

Thank you,


Here's the word on the street:

Having never taken a Kaplan class, I only know it has a terrible reputation. I hear the PowerScore classes are great, but you are better off just buying their books since those cover all of their course material. If you're looking for the best online class, you should probably go with BluePrint. They have a good quality rating. However, if you decide to take a location course (not online) TestMasters has the best reputation.



If you have the will power to study a ton on your own, do this. I found the powerscore online course to be slightly helpful, but mostly because of the homework... which is about the same as the stuff covered in their non-course books.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:01 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:if I'm not mistaken Kaplan doesn't always use real LSAT questions in the classroom, they make up their own problems

You are mistaken. All the major test prep companies use exclusively (or so nearly exclusively that it may as well be exclusively) real LSAT questions.

jshah02
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby jshah02 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm

what is the correct website for testmasters?

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby DorianGray89 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:12 pm

tomwatts wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:if I'm not mistaken Kaplan doesn't always use real LSAT questions in the classroom, they make up their own problems

You are mistaken. All the major test prep companies use exclusively (or so nearly exclusively that it may as well be exclusively) real LSAT questions.


I've heard the opposite, that Kaplan and Princeton do not, but it's only hearsay.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:I've heard the opposite, that Kaplan and Princeton do not, but it's only hearsay.

You heard wrong. I teach for Princeton Review. In class, we use real LSAT questions.

The source of the confusion is Cracking the LSAT, which is the book that we sell in bookstores. We make it cheap by using simulated LSAT questions, rather than real ones, because licensing questions from LSAC can make books prohibitively expensive. However, in the course, we don't use Cracking the LSAT; we use real course materials, including real LSAT questions.

Because this confusion, which is continually irritating, I've made the argument that we need to put together a new book that will cost maybe two or three times what Cracking the LSAT does and will use real LSAT questions. I've offered to write it, and it'd be my hope to one-up the Powerscore Bibles (offer more tests, offer better strategies, etc.). So far it hasn't happened, but we'll see.

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby DorianGray89 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:26 pm

tomwatts wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:I've heard the opposite, that Kaplan and Princeton do not, but it's only hearsay.

You heard wrong. I teach for Princeton Review. In class, we use real LSAT questions.

The source of the confusion is Cracking the LSAT, which is the book that we sell in bookstores. We make it cheap by using simulated LSAT questions, rather than real ones, because licensing questions from LSAC can make books prohibitively expensive. However, in the course, we don't use Cracking the LSAT; we use real course materials, including real LSAT questions.

Because this confusion, which is continually irritating, I've made the argument that we need to put together a new book that will cost maybe two or three times what Cracking the LSAT does and will use real LSAT questions. I've offered to write it, and it'd be my hope to one-up the Powerscore Bibles (offer more tests, offer better strategies, etc.). So far it hasn't happened, but we'll see.


Well there it is. Thanks!

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:20 pm

tomwatts wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:I've heard the opposite, that Kaplan and Princeton do not, but it's only hearsay.

You heard wrong. I teach for Princeton Review. In class, we use real LSAT questions.

The source of the confusion is Cracking the LSAT, which is the book that we sell in bookstores. We make it cheap by using simulated LSAT questions, rather than real ones, because licensing questions from LSAC can make books prohibitively expensive. However, in the course, we don't use Cracking the LSAT; we use real course materials, including real LSAT questions.

Because this confusion, which is continually irritating, I've made the argument that we need to put together a new book that will cost maybe two or three times what Cracking the LSAT does and will use real LSAT questions. I've offered to write it, and it'd be my hope to one-up the Powerscore Bibles (offer more tests, offer better strategies, etc.). So far it hasn't happened, but we'll see.


It needs to be re-written because that book will decrease a student's score. Princeton Review is a solid outfit but that book is terrible.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:09 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:It needs to be re-written because that book will decrease a student's score. Princeton Review is a solid outfit but that book is terrible.

I maintain, from personal experience, that Cracking the LSAT can be very useful as a book of technique. I learned the strategies that it taught and then worked through a lot of real LSAT questions, and my score went from a 154 initial diag to PTing in the high 170's/180 (though I didn't take the real test for a long time after that). I don't believe I could've done the same without guidance; I needed a basic approach to the test, and Cracking the LSAT helped me.

That said, I agree that one shouldn't rely on Cracking the LSAT alone. You need it plus real questions for a significant effect.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:20 pm

In answer to the OP's question:
PowerScore is a better choice than Kaplan based on comments from several students.
TestMasters seems to be the best course if you are willing to work unusually hard in preparation for the LSAT.
Princeton Review has some great instructors & some that are probably best labeled as very good. But Princeton Review gets increasingly harder & more demanding as the Hyperlearning course progresses, thus allowing students to ease into the test preparation course.
Consensus opinion suggests that the PowerScore Bibles are the best available prep manuals/study guides.
Often one's decision as to which LSAT prep course to take depends upon compatible schedules & location availability.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: PowerScore vs. Kaplan

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Having used the Powerscore books, taken a Testmasters class (though when I was in college and I didn't take it seriously enough) and (a couple of years later) a Kaplan class I feel like I'm in a good position to offer some advice.

I took Testmasters originally because I heard Kaplan was for people who would be excited to get a 160. Testmasters seemed obsessed with getting you to do things their way and I had an instructor who was clearly brilliant and great at the LSAT but was not great at teaching, my class was huge - plus I didn't take the class seriously enough (I was overwhelmed with other things at that point and postponed taking the LSAT). So overall I had a bad experience.

Powerscore's books are the best I've seen. The LG Bible is worth buying and using even if you are taking another company's course - that said I have never taken a powerscore class.

My impression is that Kaplan does have a lot of very average scorers on the LSAT - that said they also have great facilities, lots of locations, a score guarentee (money back if you go down from your first diag or retake the class for any reason), good materials and I had a pretty good teacher and a smaller class (which makes a big difference). Not that it makes a lot of difference in my opinion but Kaplan does have "advanced classes" that you have to get over a 164 to get into.

In retrospect my feeling is take whatever class is convienent for you but study a lot on your own, try to learn from each pratice test and if some aspect of the programs teaching dosent make sense to you - use what does.


Good luck!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, dj9i27, Instrumental, SunDevil14, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests