Favorite LSAT Flaw Type

Fresh

Favorite LSAT Flaw Type

Postby Fresh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Mine is definitely equivocation..

'The residents are scared that the new industrial plant we are building will pollute the environment and make the neighborhood less attractive. But we all know that plants provide many environmental benefits such as reduced carbon dioxide, and most people find greenery aesthetically pleasing.'
:lol:

3|ink

Re: Favorite LSAT Flaw Type

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Fresh wrote:Mine is definitely equivocation..

'The residents are scared that the new industrial plant we are building will pollute the environment and make the neighborhood less attractive. But we all know that plants provide many environmental benefits such as reduced carbon dioxide, and most people find greenery aesthetically pleasing.'
:lol:

+1 only because it's one of the easiest to spot.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Mine is definitely ad hominem.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 pm

WHA?!? You're nuts, it's gotta be an ad hominem flaw.

'My man skeeter, from 48th street, said that new Kanye West song was awesome- but he don't know nothing cause he huffs paint thinner.'

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:22 pm

dominkay wrote:Mine is definitely ad hominem.

Bah! Like a vampire would know anything about logic. Ad hominem is clearly not a flaw.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:22 pm

A Swift wrote:WHA?!? You're nuts, it's gotta be an ad hominem flaw.

'My man skeeter, from 48th street, said that new Kanye West song was awesome- but he don't know nothing cause he huffs paint thinner.'

--ImageRemoved--

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:33 pm

+10 points to whomever comes up with the cleverest combination of ad hom and equivocation!

GO!

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:36 pm

A Swift wrote:WHA?!? You're nuts, it's gotta be an ad hominem flaw.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Fresh wrote:+10 points to whomever comes up with the cleverest combination of ad hom and equivocation!

GO!

Some ask 'Will Smith be the best Rapper?' I say 'I don't know anyone named Smith and I don't know if Smith will be the best rapper, but with a name like Smith, he's better off pursuing a career in alternative'.
Last edited by 3|ink on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:52 pm

I enjoy ad hominem purely for the fact that it always appears on the answer choices for the "Susie attacks Janie's argument by:" and one of the answers is ALWAYS "attacking the proponent of a claim rather than the claim itself" and it's never right and when I see it in the answer choices and can cross it out easily, I feel pretty cheerful.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Fresh wrote:+10 points to whomever comes up with the cleverest combination of ad hom and equivocation!

GO!

Tallulah claims that maturity is the base of wisdom: as one develops emotionally, one gains knowledge and experience, and it is this foundation that helps one learn how to be wise. But clearly this cannot be right, since she is an adolescent and is still growing physically, so she cannot possibly know about maturity.

Bah, not the greatest, but it was what came to mind first. Equivocation is my favorite, because the "public interest" (= curiosity) and "maturity" (emotional vs. physical) ones are so oddly entertaining.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Hate circular reasoning. Appears so frequently in wrong answer choices, it's like the boy who cried wolf when it's actually the right answer.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

3|ink wrote:

GO!

Some ask 'Will Smith be the best Rapper?' I say 'I don't know anyone named Smith and I don't know if Smith will be the best rapper, but with a name like Smith, he's better off pursuing a career in alternative'.

Fail.

Big Willie Style all day. just kidding u made me laugh -- good work. No full points though we can get better. +5 for 3|ink

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Fresh wrote:
3|ink wrote:

GO!

Fail.

Big Willie Style all day. just kidding u made me laugh -- good work. No full points though we can get better. +5 for 3|ink

Yeah. It didn't even qualify as an ad hominem or equivocation in the strictest (or any) sense. How about this one?

BP Executive: Sure. The government says we’re responsible for the oil spill. But does the government really have any credit? I mean, come on! Last time I checked, the government is in over $13 trillion debt. If they have any credibility, it is undeserved.

dub

Postby dub » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:30 pm

3|ink wrote:
Fresh wrote:
3|ink wrote:

GO!

Fail.

Yeah. It didn't even qualify as an ad hominem or equivocation in the strictest (or any) sense. How about this one?

BP Executive: Sure. The government says we’re responsible for the oil spill. But does the government really have any credit? I mean, come on! Last time I checked, the government is in over $13 trillion debt. If they have any credibility, it is undeserved.

Well done.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 pm

3|ink wrote:
Fresh wrote:
3|ink wrote:

GO!

Fail.

That was pretty damn funny. You get the 10 points. they're useless but you can have em anyway

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”