PRACTICE TEST HELP/ADVICE

GoGetIt

PRACTICE TEST HELP/ADVICE

Postby GoGetIt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Hello all,

First off, I'm not taking my LSAT for about a year. How should I go about using the practice tests? Should I start with the earliest ones available and move up, or vice versa? What range of PT's are considered the most "valuable" for studying, and when should I use those? Should I try to take every test that is possible or are some of them a waste of time(early 90s)? Finally, I've already started reviewing two tests that I've taken with a course. It takes me a longggg time to review both right and wrong answers I got, by evaluating my answers(why I got them wrong, why right? what makes wrong answers wrong? what did I miss? how did I know this was the right choice? ect.) This usually all equates up into HOURSSS of review(not that I have a problem with). So, is this overkill?? Is there something more productive that I can be doing with my study? Or are these hours put into going through every question and answer as deep as I am NECESSARY??
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME!

d34d9823

Re: PRACTICE TEST HELP/ADVICE

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:31 pm

I would not use up too many tests a year out. 3 months out is where you want to start really hitting the tests. The latest tests are the most valuable as they include some of the newer types of problems LSAC really likes (comparative RC, hybrid LG, off the wall LR questions). I'd say 57-59 are worth their weight in gold and 54-56 are pretty good too.

A year out, I would really drill your reading comprehension and logical skills as much as possible without using up tests. Get one of those logic puzzle books (there's tons of logic puzzles out there that are very similar to LG and some of them are much harder), subscribe to The Economist or WSJ, do whatever else you think can shore up your weak points.

I don't know how well you handle pressure, but I got jittery on the test and it hurt me. I don't know how you would prepare for that, but be aware of it.

Also, please fix your CAPSLOCK key.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Here is a helpful schedule.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:40 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I would not use up too many tests a year out. 3 months out is where you want to start really hitting the tests. The latest tests are the most valuable as they include some of the newer types of problems LSAC really likes (comparative RC, hybrid LG, off the wall LR questions). I'd say 57-59 are worth their weight in gold and 54-56 are pretty good too.

A year out, I would really drill your reading comprehension and logical skills as much as possible without using up tests. Get one of those logic puzzle books (there's tons of logic puzzles out there that are very similar to LG and some of them are much harder), subscribe to The Economist or WSJ, do whatever else you think can shore up your weak points.

I don't know how well you handle pressure, but I got jittery on the test and it hurt me. I don't know how you would prepare for that, but be aware of it.

Sorry about the caps. Moving on, how far down the line would you recommend I start opening up the LG, LR, and RC bibles? I want to use every available solid prep resource that's out there by the time test time rolls around.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:12 pm

GoGetIt wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:I would not use up too many tests a year out. 3 months out is where you want to start really hitting the tests. The latest tests are the most valuable as they include some of the newer types of problems LSAC really likes (comparative RC, hybrid LG, off the wall LR questions). I'd say 57-59 are worth their weight in gold and 54-56 are pretty good too.

Sorry about the caps. Moving on, how far down the line would you recommend I start opening up the LG, LR, and RC bibles? I want to use every available solid prep resource that's out there by the time test time rolls around.

I personally didn't find the bibles useful, but I know a lot of people swear by them (LOL! I crack myself up). I wasn't aware that there was an RC bible.

If you do use them, I'll second sumus and say I've heard good things about Pithypike's guide. If you're building a schedule, that's a good place to start. If you do Pithypike's, I would start 4 or 5 months out so you still have a few months to work through the tests after finishing the bible part of the schedule. If you do 4 tests a week (ambitious IMO), that will last you three months for all the tests. I would also change Pithypike's and take a few PTs first to familiarize myself with the test, then work through the bibles.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”