Backsliding?

Tullstone

Backsliding?

Postby Tullstone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi all, new here.

So ive been studying for the October test since March on a regular basis, about 16-20 hrs a week or so.

I started out with a major suck score of 157 diagnostic, but since then, Ive nailed down normal range

RC - about 3 missed average
LR - about 3-4 missed average
LG - 0-2 missed average.

After months of taking timed individual sections, Ive begun to take prep tests.

Unfortunately, When I take the logic games sections in the context of the prep test, that 0-2 average becomes 10-12 missed.

I just cant figure out what is happening here... I would say nerves were responsible, but even when I start the sections with a clear head it seems that the tools I normally use to attack these sections just aren't working on the new material of an unseen Logic games section.

At this point, Ive done nearly every game in existence with positive results, but when I take a prep test, it blows up in my face.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? What did you do?

3|ink

Re: Backsliding?

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Nerves are a significant factor on the test. The first time I did a games section timed (after practicing), I freaked out. You just have to get used to taking the full-length test timed. Keep taking practice tests and you'll see significant improvement.

Tullstone

Postby Tullstone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:19 pm

So far I've taken 3 tests and the same thing has happened... It just aggravates me to see what my potential score would be if I could manage to transfer my success from the timed sections to the test. No to mention I can still improve in the other sections.

The funny this is.. If I time myself in a new games section while not taking the test I do significantly better.

Thanks for the tip, I suppose you are right.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:21 pm

It's really important that you practice taking whole tests under timed conditions rather than just doing individual sections. The LSAT is a marathon not a sprint.

Have you taken a practice test where LG was the first section? If you still dropped from about -2 to about -10 then I would definitely say it's nerves. If you're doing LG last and seeing a drop in your score it's probably fatigue and/or nerves.

Either way, keep taking practice tests. The best way to get familiar with the test and reduce nerves is through repetition. Do it enough and it becomes easier and less stressful. Your scores on the individual sections are very good. You've shown you can understand the problems now you just have to put together 5 strong sections in a row. It should only get easier.

Repetitio est mater studiorum

Tullstone

Postby Tullstone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.

No, usually they are in the middle. I don't feel fatigued.. just strangely lost/pressured. I have the funny feeling sometimes that Ive never seen this stuff before even though it's obviously the same stuff Ive been acing the entire time.

Maybe it is the switching gears aspect of the test, or maybe I'm just too used to doing the same familiar games over and over. I hope it's the former.

Either way, it can be corrected. But man, it bugs me.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Tullstone wrote:Maybe it is the switching gears aspect of the test,

I am going to guess that is what is getting to you. The test is structured to throw you off. Hence why there is no "set" order of the sections etc etc.

Perhaps trying timing your sections to a bit below time 30-33. That way on the real test you will be used to a shorter time and have some breathing room. It is all about pacing yourself.

Practice practice practice - I am sure with more familiarity you will be able to reach the potential you had previously. I know this is going to sound easier said then done but when I went into the real test I just tried to think about it as another practice test, but I also went into every practice test with the opposite notion... that this is the real deal, lets ace it.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL27Aiw9_I
Step 1: Listen
Step 2-100: Repeat
Step 101: 180

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Tullstone wrote:Thanks for the encouragement.

No, usually they are in the middle. I don't feel fatigued.. just strangely lost/pressured. I have the funny feeling sometimes that Ive never seen this stuff before even though it's obviously the same stuff Ive been acing the entire time.

Maybe it is the switching gears aspect of the test, or maybe I'm just too used to doing the same familiar games over and over. I hope it's the former.

Either way, it can be corrected. But man, it bugs me.

You've done an EXCELLENT job on timed sections. It's only a matter of bringing it all together and building up your endurance. I am sure you can do it! Good Luck!

Tullstone

Postby Tullstone » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Hey I found the video most helpful.

Yeah I just gotta keep doing it then, what other choice do I have.

I just did a section with 2 mapping games lol. Love those

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Tullstone wrote:Hey I found the video most helpful.

Yeah I just gotta keep doing it then, what other choice do I have.

I just did a section with 2 mapping games lol. Love those

mapping questions are pretty rare

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”