Can you wear earplugs in the LSAT??

ArchRoark

Re: Can you wear earplugs in the LSAT??

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Day2Daze wrote:Im just thinking of ways to block out noise. I have ADD but am not getting time or anything and dont think Ill be taking any Ritalin that day (asked around and the common opinion is that that is an unfair advantage). Earplugs would really help me to not use my super hearing to hone in on exactly what song rhythm the guy 4 desks behind me is tapping w/ his pencil.

Ill prolly be the bitchy test taker that asks proctors to tell someone to shut up, or give really evil looks at ppl sniffling :P

Having ADD is an unfair disadvantage. If you are prescribed the medicine I would recommend taking it.

You will get reprimanded if you talk out during the test. You could I guess raise your hand and ask the proctor to tell someone to to be quite but you will have wasted more time then just dealing with it. Everyone is going to be focused on their test so I doubt anyone would notice you giving them an evil eye. We didn't have any noisy people in my test but I imagine that the proctors would've dealt with it if it had been a problem.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Day2Daze wrote: I have ADD but am not getting time or anything and dont think Ill be taking any Ritalin that day (asked around and the common opinion is that that is an unfair advantage).

Are you kidding? Take your Ritalin!! That is no unfair disadvantage, that is simply taking your prescribed medication on the day of the test. There is no rule against taking medication. I could take the test amped up on meth if I wanted to! This is twice as important if you are practicing with Ritalin. I have read that learning is state specific. If you study under the influence of Ritilan, then you will not perform as well on when you take a test without Ritalin.

I mean, if you have ADD, then the LSAT is twice as hard! Can you imagine losing your concentration every 30 seconds on the LSAT? This test demands laser like focus and concentration. Not taking your Ritalin would not only put you at a disadvantage; a rather foolish decision.

It would be kind of funny if LSAC came up with a list of performance enhancing drugs that were banned for test takers though. Random piss testing. People having their 180s revoked for allegations of doping. lol

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 pm

nStiver wrote:It would be kind of funny if LSAC came up with a list of performance enhancing drugs that were banned for test takers though. Random piss testing. People having their 180s revoked for allegations of doping. lol

They probably would if there were any that are known to help. The obvious candidate is amphetamines, but consensus on here from people who have trialed them on PTs is that they don't improve performance (this is for people without ADD, OP by all means take your Ritalin). What I've heard is that they improve concentration but hurt creativity and you end up scoring about the same.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 pm

nStiver wrote:
Are you kidding? Take your Ritalin!! That is no unfair disadvantage, that is simply taking your prescribed medication on the day of the test. There is no rule against taking medication. I could take the test amped up on meth if I wanted to! This is twice as important if you are practicing with Ritalin. I have read that learning is state specific. If you study under the influence of Ritilan, then you will not perform as well on when you take a test without Ritalin.

I mean, if you have ADD, then the LSAT is twice as hard! Can you imagine losing your concentration every 30 seconds on the LSAT? This test demands laser like focus and concentration. Not taking your Ritalin would not only put you at a disadvantage; a rather foolish decision.

It would be kind of funny if LSAC came up with a list of performance enhancing drugs that were banned for test takers though. Random piss testing. People having their 180s revoked for allegations of doping. lol

Awesome. You guys are making me feel like its def OK to take my Ritalin. I took a PT without it last week and my score dropped from consistent 168/9's to 162 :( I almost cried, and was considering taking the Ritalin but then it started eating at me thinking other ppl would consider it cheating.

Im gonna have to bring it up again with the people I asked. Thanks guys :)

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:41 pm

They'll never know!

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:56 pm

Sell Manilla wrote:They'll never know!

They really wouldnt, I have pretty long/curly hair that would more than cover my ears :P But best play by the rules...would totally make a major scene if someone tried to screw me over for a pair of fucking earplugs...

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Day2Daze wrote:

You don't have to bring it up with anyone! Those people obviously do not understand the nature of ADD and medication. Why would you allow such a personal decision to be dictated by other peoples opinions, anyway? LSAT prep is your responsibility, not theirs. Why do you need someone else's approval as to whether or not you take your meds for a test anyway?

Do what you feel you need to do to maximize your score. It's no one else's business but your own! Don't ask them! If they come up to you to give their opinion about it, just smile and nod. Who are they to be judging something like this? Screw em. There will always be naysayers when you try to improve some area of your life. Maybe they are jealous of your high scores of 168-169 and are just looking for reasons as to why you don't deserve it.

Be your own woman!

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:03 pm

nStiver wrote:
Day2Daze wrote:

You don't have to bring it up with anyone! Those people obviously do not understand the nature of ADD and medication. Why would you allow such a personal decision to be dictated by other peoples opinions, anyway? LSAT prep is your responsibility, not theirs. Why do you need someone else's approval as to whether or not you take your meds for a test anyway?

Do what you feel you need to do to maximize your score. It's no one else's business but your own! Don't ask them! If they come up to you to give their opinion about it, just smile and nod. Who are they to be judging something like this? Screw em. There will always be naysayers when you try to improve some area of your life. Maybe they are jealous of your high scores of 168-169 and are just looking for reasons as to why you don't deserve it.

Be your own woman!

Yea..youre right. Its not so much about getting approval from other people. I just wouldnt want to do something that would be cheating, or make me undeserving of my score. As you pointed out though, youre allowed to take meds etc. And seeing the stark contrast when I dont take the Rit, there is no way I will forget to take it the morning of Oct 9th :lol:

I doubt theyre jealous, most are PT'ing about the same, some are already in LS. But youre abs right in doing what I need to do, within the rules, to maximize my score. Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”