Can you wear earplugs in the LSAT??

Day2Daze

Can you wear earplugs in the LSAT??

Postby Day2Daze » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 pm

I just realized that using earplugs in the public library blocks out a good portion of the noise and really helps me focus. Do you think I could wear these to the LSAT? I dont see why not....but Im just wondering, maybe someone on here has tried it?

I know its a ridiculous question...but its about that time in PT review :P

nonamebreakdown

Re: Can you wear earplugs in the LSAT??

Postby nonamebreakdown » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Day2Daze wrote:I just realized that using earplugs in the public library blocks out a good portion of the noise and really helps me focus. Do you think I could wear these to the LSAT? I dont see why not....but Im just wondering, maybe someone on here has tried it?

No.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Day2Daze wrote:I just realized that using earplugs in the public library blocks out a good portion of the noise and really helps me focus. Do you think I could wear these to the LSAT? I dont see why not....but Im just wondering, maybe someone on here has tried it?

No, it's specifically prohibited in the rules and is also written on your seat ticket to take the LSAT.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 pm

I dont have the seat ticket yet...but yikes, thats good to know. Thanks :) Guess Ill have to get my sis to blow her trumpet in my ear extra loud that morning...*sigh

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:57 pm

No, and you should stop using them during practice tests. One of the keys to success on the actual LSAT is to also prepare yourself as well as possible for the actual test day experience. Getting use to taking practice tests in a noisy place will prepare you for test day. For this reason, you should also be doing practice tests with at least five sections and with an analog wrist watch.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:13 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:No, and you should stop using them during practice tests. One of the keys to success on the actual LSAT is to also prepare yourself as well as possible for the actual test day experience. Getting use to taking practice tests in a noisy place will prepare you for test day. For this reason, you should also be doing practice tests with at least five sections and with an analog wrist watch.

Does it have to be a noisy place?

What about somewhere that's not completely quiet but not exactly noisy. Like a library?

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:19 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:No, and you should stop using them during practice tests. One of the keys to success on the actual LSAT is to also prepare yourself as well as possible for the actual test day experience. Getting use to taking practice tests in a noisy place will prepare you for test day. For this reason, you should also be doing practice tests with at least five sections and with an analog wrist watch.

Yea...I was doing them like that, then tried out the earplugs. Will go back to doing them without the plugs though. Also, Im going to start doing 6 section tests to build endurance with recycled sections. Bummer that we cant use earplugs...ughh. Thanks tho

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 pm

If they allowed people to wear ear plugs, people would use that as an excuse for working after time is called.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Does it have to be a noisy place?

What about somewhere that's not completely quiet but not exactly noisy. Like a library?

That's fine

Day2Daze wrote:[Also, Im going to start doing 6 section tests to build endurance with recycled sections.

I think this is a great idea. Before the June test I was scoring very consistently above a 175 and my PT average was a 176. I hadn't received below a 173 for over 25 PTs. I totally under estimated how burned out I'd be on test day (I had, after all, been taking all 5 section tests). I was at the test center at noon on test day, we didn't actually get into the room until 2PM, then it was about 6:30PM by the time we finished the test. I totally bombed the last section b.c. I was so burned out I couldn't comprehend what I was reading and scored much lower than expected. For my retake in October I plan to study with all six section tests and I'll also take many PTs with the worst order/combination of sections I could get on test day.

Good luck with your studying.
Last edited by cinefile 17 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 pm

3|ink wrote:If they allowed people to wear ear plugs, people would use that as an excuse for working after time is called.

They could flash a bright light?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 pm

If they let us use earplugs, it would be all too easy to sneak in an earpiece. I already have button cameras that could broadcast the test to someone outside the room, and an earpiece would allow me to get answers back. Seems like a big no no, so banning earplugs is a good way to ensure that doesn't happen.

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Sell Manilla wrote:
3|ink wrote:If they allowed people to wear ear plugs, people would use that as an excuse for working after time is called.

I have long deliberated the rationale underlying the "no earplug rule"

If the above reasoning is what underlies it, then it is utter nonsense: a student who chooses to wear earplugs risks going overtime at his own peril. Students who're able capable of following the rules should not be punished by having an important aid, such as earplugs, stricken from them.
Last edited by blhblahblah on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm

dakatz wrote:If they let us use earplugs, it would be all too easy to sneak in an earpiece. I already have button cameras that could broadcast the test to someone outside the room, and an earpiece would allow me to get answers back. Seems like a big no no, so banning earplugs is a good way to ensure that doesn't happen.

They could offer earplugs there. Like RSVP'ing for meals at an event, you could pay an extra buck for them to provide a pair.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm

blhblahblah wrote:
Sell Manilla wrote:

If the above reasoning is what underlies it, then it is utter nonsense: a student who chooses to wear earplugs risks going overtime at his own peril. Students who're able capable of following the rules should not be punished by having an important aid, such as earplugs, stricken from them.

Consider how distracting and time consuming it would be to pull a number of people out of the test. Consider that people who cheat accidentally are far more likely to make a scene. Granted that they would be expelled during a break period, it's still an undesired distraction.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:14 am

dakatz wrote:If they let us use earplugs, it would be all too easy to sneak in an earpiece. I already have button cameras that could broadcast the test to someone outside the room, and an earpiece would allow me to get answers back. Seems like a big no no, so banning earplugs is a good way to ensure that doesn't happen.

I think this is it. Also probably why they don't allow hoodies (although not all test centers enforce this rule).

I think it's better to study in a variety of environments, including really noisy ones. You never know what the test center will be like. I've heard people complain of construction taking place nearby, the building being right next to an elementary school so little kids were screaming & yelling as they walked by, etc. You need to get to that place where you can block out anything & everything.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:47 am

blhblahblah wrote:
Sell Manilla wrote:

How about the no mechanical pencil rule? I still have trouble understanding that one. Only reason I could think of is the clicking sound of the lead being a distraction to other test takers.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:17 am

Tiva wrote:
blhblahblah wrote:
Sell Manilla wrote:

How about the no mechanical pencil rule? I still have trouble understanding that one. Only reason I could think of is the clicking sound of the lead being a distraction to other test takers.

Mechanical pencil is more likely to rip through the test booklet.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:03 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:
I think this is a great idea. Before the June test I was scoring very consistently above a 175 and my PT average was a 176. I hadn't received below a 173 for over 25 PTs. I totally under estimated how burned out I'd be on test day (I had, after all, been taking all 5 section tests). I was at the test center at noon on test day, we didn't actually get into the room until 2PM, then it was about 6:30PM by the time we finished the test. I totally bombed the last section b.c. I was so burned out I couldn't comprehend what I was reading and scored much lower than expected. For my retake in October I plan to study with all six section tests and I'll also take many PTs with the worst order/combination of sections I could get on test day.

6 and a half hours at a test center? That blows...maybe I should try 7 section tests lol. Hope the 6 will mitigate any burnout, but having to spend that long at a test center would drive me nuts...plus id be starvingggg through the Writing sample...

I like the idea of givin out the earplugs at the testcenter, like they do on planes. Brilliant. Doubt I could get that passed before Oct though.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Day2Daze wrote:I like the idea of givin out the earplugs at the testcenter, like they do on planes. Brilliant. Doubt I could get that passed before Oct though.

fix'd

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 pm

3|ink wrote:
Tiva wrote:

I heard that someone in the past used a mechanical pencil to cheat somehow... maybe they're easier to manipulate without the proctor noticing? Dunno if the story's true though.

cinefile 17 wrote:

Yeah one (of many) things that threw me on test day was how LONG it took before we got to the actual test-taking part. It can easily take a couple of hours to get through all of the instructions, check IDs etc. My adrenaline buzz started wearing off around the third section, I was so worn out :(

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:06 pm

kazu wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Tiva wrote:

I heard that someone in the past used a mechanical pencil to cheat somehow... maybe they're easier to manipulate without the proctor noticing? Dunno if the story's true though.

cinefile 17 wrote:

Yeah one (of many) things that threw me on test day was how LONG it took before we got to the actual test-taking part. It can easily take a couple of hours to get through all of the instructions, check IDs etc. My adrenaline buzz started wearing off around the third section, I was so worn out :(

Plus, in my test center it took a LONG time before we could leave for the break b.c. the proctors had to collect all the tests, count them, and make sure they had them all before we could leave for the break. I was in a huge testing site and the proctors had to recount the exams many times lol.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:13 pm

I took my LSAT at my work (I work at a community college that was a testing site). It was nice being familiar with my surroundings. I have had many staff meetings in the room I ended up taking it in. Only negative thing was it was right by our break room and I could hear the TV on. I thought it was going to bother me during the test but I was able to tune it out. They broke our large group of people scheduled for that testing site into 20-30 people groups and each of the groups took it in a separate room. I had a nice huge table to work with about 6ft on each side from either person. All in all I would say it was an optimal experience... I can't imagine taking the test with construction noise going on.

I really recommend visiting the place where you are scheduled to take the test to get familiar with the environment. Is it cold? warm? noisy? etc etc

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Dude don't use earplugs. The first time I took the LSAT I did all my studying in the comfort of my own home, using earplugs, and not using a wrist watch. I was testing at around 169 in practice and I got a 158 on the real thing. I was totally unprepared for the real conditions. I messed up the time on my wrist watch. I was thrown off by the noises of multiple bodies fidgeting. Do not be the dumb ass that I was.

The second time I took it I did all my prep on the first floor of the UNM library. People there have not learned to use their "inside voice" in libraries. Idiots on their cell phones, frat dudes carrying on, and classes of elementary school kids were a constant interruption. After a month of this I was a mental ninja. Nothing could distract me. I scored much better on that test.

My point is, ditch the ear plugs. Leave your comfort zone. Your scores on practice tests dont matter, all that matters is your performance on game day. Get used to noise and stress so that the real thing seems easy. 8)

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:27 pm

nStiver wrote:Dude don't use earplugs. The first time I took the LSAT I did all my studying in the comfort of my own home, using earplugs, and not using a wrist watch. I was testing at around 169 in practice and I got a 158 on the real thing. I was totally unprepared for the real conditions. I messed up the time on my wrist watch. I was thrown off by the noises of multiple bodies fidgeting. Do not be the dumb ass that I was.

The second time I took it I did all my prep on the first floor of the UNM library. People there have not learned to use their "inside voice" in libraries. Idiots on their cell phones, frat dudes carrying on, and classes of elementary school kids were a constant interruption. After a month of this I was a mental ninja. Nothing could distract me. I scored much better on that test.

My point is, ditch the ear plugs. Leave your comfort zone. Your scores on practice tests dont matter, all that matters is your performance on game day. Get used to noise and stress so that the real thing seems easy. 8)

Yea...Ive been taking them in the library, but I was wondering about the earplugs. Since they arent allowed, of course Ill stop practicing with them. I just dont see why its such a big deal...except for 007's earpiece and button camera scenario..

Im just thinking of ways to block out noise. I have ADD but am not getting time or anything and dont think Ill be taking any Ritalin that day (asked around and the common opinion is that that is an unfair advantage). Earplugs would really help me to not use my super hearing to hone in on exactly what song rhythm the guy 4 desks behind me is tapping w/ his pencil.

Ill prolly be the bitchy test taker that asks proctors to tell someone to shut up, or give really evil looks at ppl sniffling :P

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Wow, a lot of theories being floated about why things are prohibited. I'm pretty sure all of the exclusions are because of potential cheating. They actually caught a cheating ring with fake mechanical pencils a few years ago, and if you can't think of a way to cheat with a hoodie or earplugs, you have no imagination. Both of those would make cheating infinitely easier.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”