Reading Comprehension: 1 section at a time or 4?

3|ink

Reading Comprehension: 1 section at a time or 4?

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:56 pm

I scored a 170 on my latest prep test. It was my first and only test in two months. Thus, I can't say I'm hitting 170 consistently, but its about where I was when I took the June test. Anyway, I scored as follows on the prep test:

RC: -5
LG: -1
LR: -2, -2, -0 (figures -0 on the experimental)

Although this was the infamous cakewalk/cohesion RC that I've heard rumors about, I think -5 is unacceptable for any single section. Thus, I want to focus my studies on RC. I have received the following suggestions from mentors and friends:

1) Take one RC section at a time.

2) Take 4 RC at once (not necessarily four that were released with the same section/test) because reading comprehension is as much about stamina as it is about reading carefully.

3) Take practice tests and not focus on individual sections. They say there's no point focusing on individual sections after 170.

Edit: Wow. I completely forgot to end this post with the question: 'Which of these three pieces of advice do you think is best?'

gdane

Re: Reading Comprehension: 1 section at a time or 4?

Postby gdane » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 pm

First off, congratulations. What a great score!

I would say do 1 at a time right now. Theres still plenty of time before the October LSAT. Do 1 at a time, get really comfortable with RC and after you find yourself doing really well on the 1 section RC, do 4 at a time.

Good luck!

dominkay

Re: Reading Comprehension: 1 section at a time or 4?

Postby dominkay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm

There totally is a point in targeting an individual section after 170 if that's where you're losing most of your points. I wish more of my studying had been LG bootcamp, because that's where I had the most trouble and where I lost almost all my points on test day. Drill RC.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”