October test takes: how many hours/day do you study?

jwaters

Re: October test takes: how many hours/day do you study?

Postby jwaters » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:28 pm

2-4 hrs usually....5 or 6 days a week

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Barbie wrote:jeez yall. I haven't started studying yet, I'm getting the bibles this weekend and kickin things into gear (this is my 3rd time taking but first time really giving it my full attention). I was planning on really just studying for about an hour a day during the weekdays and then probably 5 hours on saturday and 5 hours on sunday.... it seems like everyone is blowing that out of the water! maybe I need to reevaluate my study plan :(

Don't let people's responses bother you. Its technically my third time taking it but I got sick in June and cancelled so I consider it my second. I'm not studying as much as I could/should but you dont need to study 20 hours a week to do well. Especially if you're a re-taker. I dont have much material left so I'm pacing myself.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 pm

JJDancer wrote:
Barbie wrote:jeez yall. I haven't started studying yet, I'm getting the bibles this weekend and kickin things into gear (this is my 3rd time taking but first time really giving it my full attention). I was planning on really just studying for about an hour a day during the weekdays and then probably 5 hours on saturday and 5 hours on sunday.... it seems like everyone is blowing that out of the water! maybe I need to reevaluate my study plan :(

Don't let people's responses bother you. Its technically my third time taking it but I got sick in June and cancelled so I consider it my second. I'm not studying as much as I could/should but you dont need to study 20 hours a week to do well. Especially if you're a re-taker. I dont have much material left so I'm pacing myself.

Yeah. I didn't study really at all the first or second time. I took a few PTs (like 4) between the two and read a few pages of an LSAT book and that was it. I need to put my game face on. From ppl I know IRL, it seems like studying EVERY day is a lot! No one around here studies that much.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 pm

a lot of overachievers ITT

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:18 pm

northwood wrote:I average between 2-3 a day, 6-7 days a week. If I have more time, I spend more time studying. I also work full time. Those who study more, is this your full time job? How do you prevent burnout / loss of material?

This is basically a full-time job for me. Material isn't really a problem because there are so many LSAT questions. Also, sometimes reviewing 10 LR questions might take 90 minutes depending on how you review them, so a little material can go a long way.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm having a harder time getting motivated simply because I seriously am doubting whether or not I actually want to be a lawyer

If you have any doubt, you should wait.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm

3|ink wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I'm having a harder time getting motivated simply because I seriously am doubting whether or not I actually want to be a lawyer

Attorney salaries are expected to drop 20% next decade.

lol, funny. It's not because of salary, it's because I seriously think I might hate it.

I think you'd find it even worse if you learned that your salary might not cover your student debt.

Why do you think you'd hate being a lawyer?

I'm a PI person anyways, IBR FTW, plus I think i'll have a lot of it covered anyways. But really because I just hate sitting in an office. I've hated every single job i've had sitting in an office.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:

The problem is I just want to get my life started, so I feel like I have to make a legitimate career path decision as soon as possible.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Barbie wrote:
3|ink wrote:

I've been told that its better to keep a consistent schedule than overload your weekends.

I'm going to have a really hectic week esp. once school starts. it's kind of the best I can do :( I may be able to sacrifice 2 hours during the weekdays if I do one in the morning and one at niight.

anyone want to post their goals? also, if you've already taken, what you've gotten?

Barbie, I think that if it's your third time you should study more (even if it means sacrificing other school related things). The LSAT is by far the most important part of your app.

Before the June test I had taken all the PT and I hadn't scored lower than a 173 for the last 25 of them (consistently 175+). My PT average was about a 176. It though I could definitely get a 173+ and would have bet my life on a 170+. I got a 169 :cry: (still bitter). I am aiming for a 173+ this time. I don't think I have to much of a problem with my accuracy or time, I just got insanely burned out on test day and couldn't concentrate on the last section, so I totally bomb it (I had been at the test center for six hours by the time the last section came around). I'm going to start studying in August, but mostly I think I need to work on my endurance (I'm going to take 6-7 section PT and order my PTs in the worst possible order I could get on test day). I'm definitely worried about being able to juggle LSAT study, with doing my apps, and working with school once it starts.
Last edited by cinefile 17 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:

The problem is I just want to get my life started, so I feel like I have to make a legitimate career path decision as soon as possible.

Not one that costs 200K

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:

Not one that costs 200K

Well, law school is actually the safe bet for the career paths i'm looking into.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:47 pm

5 hours a day for 4 days, 4 hour testmasters class on 2 days, 1 day off. A lifetime of happiness, priceless. Get a mastercard today.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm having a hard time getting motivated because I am doubting whether or not I want to take the test in October, or wait till December, February, or even June. I'm not applying for law school until Fall 2011 so my options are still open. In June I was studying almost all day to the point where it was all new to me and I loved reading the bibles learning new strategies. Now i'm at the point where i've done hundreds of questions and i'm just taking things slowly, completing a section or half a PT a day. I've really been spreading out PTs this whole month which is terrible for me since it feels so sloppy. I'm getting ready to take timed sections/PTs though so maybe i'll get more motivated. Although...the thought of taking the LSAT in October and hitting my goal score so that I don't have retake it while everyone else I know stresses about it later is also really motivating.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:25 am

Man, I'm glad having a full time job gives me a good reason for not studying 6 hours a day, cause even if I didn't have anything else, I don't think I could stomach that many hours.

I do at least 35 minutes every day (1 section), and I try to do three 2+ hour sessions every week. I'm loosing following one of LSAT blog's plans.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

I work 8-5...just started studying for October this week (2nd Time LSAT).

I am working about 2-3 hours a day during the week after work; or at least that's my plan...and limited time on the weekends.

Wish I had the determination to bang out 5-6 hours a day, there's just not enough time, and I don't want to lose my sanity.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Man, I'm glad having a full time job gives me a good reason for not studying 6 hours a day, cause even if I didn't have anything else, I don't think I could stomach that many hours.

I do at least 35 minutes every day (1 section), and I try to do three 2+ hour sessions every week. I'm loosing following one of LSAT blog's plans.

This is pretty much what I'm diong.

lizzylove

Postby lizzylove » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 am

Im averaging about 2-4 a day. I started going back and making flash cards of the question types as well as all of the indicator phrases. This is really helping a lot!
I also signed up for the August powerscore course. Ill let everyone know how that goes...Im thinking ill basically get out of it what I put in, so it shouldn't be a waste of 1300...
I hope :|

lizzylove

Postby lizzylove » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 am

deadhipsters wrote:Patriot: I'm having the same trouble. I worked as a paralegal and I f-ing hated it...
Anyway, that said, I'm hoping for a high score and then I'll make the choice. Anything under a 167 and I think I'm going to call it quits on LS. I'm strictly looking at the LSAT as a game and not even thinking about the end result. Its been helping, too. Self doubt can be really destructive for studying.

You definitely should not call it quits if you score a 167, that is still a good score. My friend got into harvard last year with a score in the mid 160s. She is not a URM, but she did have good softs. These adcoms see 170s and 4.0s all day, if you can bring something more to the table besides being freakishly smart you always have a shot! :)

downing

Postby downing » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:25 am

Anywhere from an hour to 3 hours. Probably more when I stop working in August.
So when the people who claim they're studying for 6 hours a day, is it 6 consecutive hours *yeouch!* or sessions of 2 or 3 hours (or whatever)?

I've seen that, when doing practice questions relentlessly, times whizzes by. On the other hand, going over a completed section, thoroughly and fully, seems to require more focus and energy.

DreamLaw

Postby DreamLaw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 am

I'm doing around 2 hours a day right now because I work full time. My last day of work is friday so I will definitly be studying more often starting next week.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Patriot: I'm having the same trouble. I worked as a paralegal and I f-ing hated it...
Anyway, that said, I'm hoping for a high score and then I'll make the choice. Anything under a 167 and I think I'm going to call it quits on LS. I'm strictly looking at the LSAT as a game and not even thinking about the end result. Its been helping, too. Self doubt can be really destructive for studying.

I'm with you, I just want to get it out of the way and keep all my options open. Basically, if I don't get into a t12 i'm not going, and if I do i'm already planning on deferring a year just to figure everything out. I just don't want to make the mistake of spending three years and the money just to decide to change professions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”