LSAT Centers Unavailable?

RedTop

LSAT Centers Unavailable?

Postby RedTop » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:53 pm

I am helping my girlfriend prepare for the LSAT.

It is six weeks to the deadline for registering for October, and a lot of the test centers are full. What the heck is going on? She lives in Toronto, and there was only one center available in the entire province of Ontario!!

I browsed around and there was also nothing within 50 miles of Washington DC. But where I live, in Raleigh NC, every test center was available.

What the heck is going on? It doesn't seem possible that they deliberately restrict administration of the test this way.

DorianGray89

Re: LSAT Centers Unavailable?

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Centers are filling out really fast. I registered two months ago and already about half of DC was full.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Back when I registered for the LSAT in June, there were no centers in Indianapolis at all about 6 weeks before the test. I ended up going to Chicago.

I would imagine that the October test fills up even faster, given there are more takers.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:22 pm

I'd assume that a good chunk of the people that are already filling up these test centers registered when they got back their score in June and decided to retake. But as far as why DC and not Raleigh, NC is filled up I think the answer is obvious... there are a lot more test takers.

Rik Smits

Postby Rik Smits » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 pm

I had a similar issue. My UG has a test center, but it was filled the other day when I finally got around to register. There was another college down the road with openings, but I decided not to sign up there because... err, well - it's a "historically Black college" and I want to avoid any unforeseen conditions on test day. So I signed up for a center 30 miles away...

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Looks like we might just have to take in December. I've looked in Los Angeles and the only one left is Whittier. Fuck that! I'd rather wait 'til December than drive 50 miles across LA to take this test.

It is very odd. It's like every one graduating is just taking the test to see if they can delay their inevitable introduction to the real world.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:04 pm

There were about 5 or 6 centers by me, and they were all full. I had to drive 2 hrs to take the test. Book as soon as you can, and think about possibly booking a hotel room to avoid a long morning drive.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Rik Smits wrote:I had a similar issue. My UG has a test center, but it was filled the other day when I finally got around to register. There was another college down the road with openings, but I decided not to sign up there because... err, well - it's a "historically Black college" and I want to avoid any unforeseen conditions on test day. So I signed up for a center 30 miles away...
Yeah, that was a close call. You're taking your life into your hands when you briefly visit a college with a slightly different racial composition than you're used to.

hulahoop

Postby hulahoop » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Rik Smits wrote:I had a similar issue. My UG has a test center, but it was filled the other day when I finally got around to register. There was another college down the road with openings, but I decided not to sign up there because... err, well - it's a "historically Black college" and I want to avoid any unforeseen conditions on test day. So I signed up for a center 30 miles away...
Yeah, that was a close call. You're taking your life into your hands when you briefly visit a college with a slightly different racial composition than you're used to.

this

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 pm

So said my great great grandfather...

RedTop

Postby RedTop » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:33 pm

I called the LSAC and they said that they will open up new centers and/or seats and guarantee everyone who applies that they can take the LSAT within 100 miles of where they live. Wow, how generous.

It seems freaking demented to me though. They can't possibly have so little data that they have no idea how many people will take the LSAT on any given date at any given center. It seems like they are either incredibly lazy or deliberately want to jerk people around.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Sign up for the waitlist, I was on the waitlist in DC for June but they opened a new test center in Bethesda in the last few weeks. I think this is common in DC, so the likelihood of new centers becoming available is high.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:16 pm

bdubs wrote:Sign up for the waitlist, I was on the waitlist in DC for June but they opened a new test center in Bethesda in the last few weeks. I think this is common in DC, so the likelihood of new centers becoming available is high.

How would one go about signing up for a DC waitlist, I am currently in the same dilemma? Registered at St. Marys in MD but it is a little too far for my taste...

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

WOW! I didn't know the centers were in such high demand. I can't sign up for another two weeks, does anybody know the status of centers in San Antonio?? :shock:

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:39 pm

arean.ryan wrote:
bdubs wrote:Sign up for the waitlist, I was on the waitlist in DC for June but they opened a new test center in Bethesda in the last few weeks. I think this is common in DC, so the likelihood of new centers becoming available is high.

How would one go about signing up for a DC waitlist, I am currently in the same dilemma? Registered at St. Marys in MD but it is a little too far for my taste...

I hate to say it, but if you've already invested time in studying, it's silly to risk losing your spot over driving distance. As you know, when you join a waitlist, you leave whatever location you had previously reserved. If a spot never opens, you're up shit's creek without a paddle. I'd just rent a decent hotel room in St. Mary's (if one exists in that crappy county) and stay there the night before.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm

3|ink wrote:I hate to say it, but if you've already invested time in studying, it's silly to risk losing your spot over driving distance. As you know, when you join a waitlist, you leave whatever location you had previously reserved. If a spot never opens, you're up shit's creek without a paddle. I'd just rent a decent hotel room in St. Mary's (if one exists in that crappy county) and stay there the night before.

:shock: Is the testing center in Bel Air, MD a better idea.... :?:

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:45 pm

I don't understand why people are having such a problem with this. I put in time studying for the LSAT and I also put in the time to learn about it. One of the first things I learned was that test centers are often filled pretty early and that the only way to secure the one you want is to register for it early. If you're not willing to do the most basic research about the logistics of the most important factor in law school admissions, you should probably be okay with driving 100 miles to an open center.

I seriously hope you folks do well, but it's not LSAC "jerk"ing people around, it's you not doing your research in a timely fashion.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:45 pm

arean.ryan wrote:
3|ink wrote:I hate to say it, but if you've already invested time in studying, it's silly to risk losing your spot over driving distance. As you know, when you join a waitlist, you leave whatever location you had previously reserved. If a spot never opens, you're up shit's creek without a paddle. I'd just rent a decent hotel room in St. Mary's (if one exists in that crappy county) and stay there the night before.

:shock: Is the testing center in Bel Air, MD a better idea.... :?:

Do you live closer to that location?

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm staying in Fairfax, which is about 4 miles further from Bel Air than....but if it is a better atmosphere for the LSAT I will go there..I just reserved a spot because there was limited availability.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:03 pm

arean.ryan wrote:I'm staying in Fairfax, which is about 4 miles further from Bel Air than....but if it is a better atmosphere for the LSAT I will go there..I just reserved a spot because there was limited availability.

Ha. That's where I live. I picked NVCC.

If you don't want to smell horse shit, stay away from St. Mary's.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:12 pm

3|ink wrote:Ha. That's where I live. I picked NVCC.

Cool stuff, I just finished undergrad in Texas...I'll be in Fairfax temporarily for free rent and a peaceful study atmosphere (Parents) until my LSAT completion. I'll take your advice on St. Mary's and stick with Bel Air, MD (Harford CC) for now. You know the chances that one of the 20 unavailable test centers will have a spot open with time?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:13 pm

arean.ryan wrote:
3|ink wrote:Ha. That's where I live. I picked NVCC.

Cool stuff, I just finished undergrad in Texas...I'll be in Fairfax temporarily for free rent and a peaceful study atmosphere (Parents) until my LSAT completion. I'll take your advice on St. Mary's and stick with Bel Air, MD (Harford CC) for now. You know the chances that one of the 20 unavailable test centers will have a spot open with time?

I don't know, but October/September has the highest demand. I'd have to guess 'not likely'.

Studious

Postby Studious » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:35 am

I am from Toronto as well, and only Thunder Bay was available.I would suggest Montreal.Close enough without being a hassle.

RedTop

Postby RedTop » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:53 am

Studious wrote:I am from Toronto as well, and only Thunder Bay was available.I would suggest Montreal.Close enough without being a hassle.

From my conversation with LSAC, they said that if you apply, they will guarantee you a spot within 100 miles. So they wouldn't sent you to Montreal, but they might send you to Buffalo.

My irritation with this is that it seems pointless. Imagine for the moment that LSAC was a profit-making organization, say they were giving seminars on selling widgets. Let's also say for the sake of argument that they make a profit of $10 on each attendee but it costs them $x for each excess place they reserve space for. Last year they gave four seminars, in February, June, October and December, at a wide variety of locations. They know how many people signed up for each one, what the pattern of signups was, they can make a pretty good guess as to how many people will sign up for each location.

If x was $1, it would clearly be in their interest to reserve plenty of space in each city, to make sure nobody gets turned away, or says "Screw this, I'm not going to drive 100 miles." If x was $1000, they might be very cautious about reserving more spaces than necessary, being willing to turn people down rather than lose money on empty seats.

I don't know what x is, but I can't believe it's large, and I also can't believe the number of test-takers by site and month varies that much from year to year. If they had 1000 people last year wanting to take the LSAT in Toronto, surely they would make at least 800-900 seats available, and not all those seats would be filled six weeks before the deadline. More reasonably, they would make 1000 seats available, not worrying if only 950 of them were filled. If a week or two before the exam, they got a last-minute rush, then they could say to people "Sorry, shoulda signed up earlier."

The "we'll guarantee you a place within 100 miles" routine means that either they have a lot of avaiable seats held back, or that at the last minute they are working the phones, scrambling to find test centers willing to create more seats, which seems pretty stupid and makes extra work for the LSAC.

Looking at it another way, I am a member of a professional society that holds conferences. They have a pretty good idea how many people will attend the September seminar depending on whether it's held in Orlando, Las Vegas, Chicago, Washington DC, etc. (all places it's been held). If they got oversold one year when it was help in Las Vegas - if they had only booked space for 1000 attendees and got 1500 - you can be sure that the next time around, they'd book more space, not just tell people "Too damn bad, go to a different one of our seminars."

So I am saying that the existing procedure smacks of really bad planning, incompetence, a "we really don't care" attitude on the part of the LSAC, or a conscious decision to create extra hurdles in the process to see who is really serious, or who has the organization and self-discipline to become and succeed as an attorney. I know that if I were the manager of a division of a corporation that was repsonsible for giving tests/seminars/etc. and we routinely turned down registrations this far in advance, and we never adjusted supply to meet demand, I'd expect to be fired.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”