Bible flashcards? Untimed tests? Peak? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barbie

Gold

Bible flashcards? Untimed tests? Peak?

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 pm

I see that the LG bible is offered very cheaply as a flashcards version. Has anyone purchased these instead of the bible? Was it helpful/ as helpful??

Also, does anyone recommend doing tests untimed? I feel like it is kind of pointless. I have done one ever, and got 2 questions wrong on it. It didn't feel even similar to taking it timed. I understand that the point is accuracy, but of course if you have time to read and re-read rules (esp in LG, where you have time to re-work everything) can't it be kind of hindering since you are practicing methods that wouldn't work under the strict time constraints of the real test?

This is my third take and I am freaking out, because even though the only studying I did was on a handful of practice tests, the best PT score I ever got was a 163 (no other ones even in the 160's) and I got a 163 on the real thing. So even though I did almost no studying, it feels like I peaked. I hear of people who got 165-175s on their PT, and then got my score, and of course that justified a retake-- KNOWING you can do better. I don't know that I can, and I feel like that means I have to work 100x harder. Anyone have a similar story to mine? It would make me feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one who hit their high score on test day and is still retaking....

ca1aa8b8

New

Re: Bible flashcards? Untimed tests? Peak?

Post by ca1aa8b8 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm

The flashcards are nearly useless without the bible...get the logic game bible and the logical reasoning bible.

James2010

New

Post by James2010 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Agreed - the LG Bible is the best thing out there. The powerscore supplements to it (flashcards, LG setups guide ect) are virtually useless - trust me I have them all. Order the bible itself.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Barbie wrote:I see that the LG bible is offered very cheaply as a flashcards version. Has anyone purchased these instead of the bible? Was it helpful/ as helpful??

Also, does anyone recommend doing tests untimed? I feel like it is kind of pointless. I have done one ever, and got 2 questions wrong on it. It didn't feel even similar to taking it timed. I understand that the point is accuracy, but of course if you have time to read and re-read rules (esp in LG, where you have time to re-work everything) can't it be kind of hindering since you are practicing methods that wouldn't work under the strict time constraints of the real test?

This is my third take and I am freaking out, because even though the only studying I did was on a handful of practice tests, the best PT score I ever got was a 163 (no other ones even in the 160's) and I got a 163 on the real thing. So even though I did almost no studying, it feels like I peaked. I hear of people who got 165-175s on their PT, and then got my score, and of course that justified a retake-- KNOWING you can do better. I don't know that I can, and I feel like that means I have to work 100x harder. Anyone have a similar story to mine? It would make me feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one who hit their high score on test day and is still retaking....
Everyone is right about the flashcards--LSAT is about skills, not significantly about memorization, so flashcards are pretty much useless.

As for peaking, relax. It isn't too uncommon to PT in your range and then do the actual test at the top of your PT range. This is because you didn't do enough PTs and prep. It sounds to me like you are capable of scoring 170+ if you prep seriously. Also, you seem to imply that there are deminishing returns on prepping, and that is true, but it just means that you have to prep all the more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”