HELP for a NEWB

Whammy

HELP for a NEWB

Postby Whammy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Hey everyone, I've searched the forums and gotten alot of good input, I just have some specific questions that need answering.

I took a Kaplan class during the Spring and scored a 162 on the actual test in June. During the class my best score was 171 and routinely had high 160's scores. Basically, I bombed the Logic Games section of the LSAT, missing 11 and thus lowering my score significantly. I'm pretty good at LR and RC, but struggle with LG.

So from reading the forum, it seems like the Logic Games Bible by powercore is my best bet to improve my mastery of that section. My questions are:

1. Should I buy the work book as well?
2. Where is the best place to buy real practice LSAT's and what is the name of the book or books that have these practice LSAT's.?
3. I'm taking the LSAT in October so I've got to get moving, anyone have a recommended method of study for Powerscore?

I really want to focus on Logic games so if there are any other good resources out there, please feel free to share. I have my old Kpalan books to practice LR and RC but don't have any logic games sections left in Kaplan. Also, if I'm wrong in assuming powerscore is the best, please redirect me. I've heard testmasters is pretty good as well.

TIA :D

Anaconda

Re: HELP for a NEWB

Postby Anaconda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Powerscore Logic Games Bible. Drill every single game from now until October. Game. Set. Match. You'll hit a high 160 score for sure.

Whammy

Postby Whammy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Anaconda wrote:Powerscore Logic Games Bible. Drill every single game from now until October. Game. Set. Match. You'll hit a high 160 score for sure.

Should I buy the workbook as well for extra problems or would I be better served by practice LSATS?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Whammy wrote:
Anaconda wrote:Powerscore Logic Games Bible. Drill every single game from now until October. Game. Set. Match. You'll hit a high 160 score for sure.

Should I buy the workbook as well for extra problems or would I be better served by practice LSATS?

No, buy Cambridge LSAT's games divided by group. Read one chapter of the LGB and then drill those games for a decent couple of days each. Example: chapter on basic linear: work on ~6-8 games a day for the next few days, then move onto advanced linear, grouping, etc.

Whammy

Postby Whammy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Anaconda wrote:
Whammy wrote:

No, buy Cambridge LSAT's games divided by group. Read one chapter of the LGB and then drill those games for a decent couple of days each. Example: chapter on basic linear: work on ~6-8 games a day for the next few days, then move onto advanced linear, grouping, etc.

Is the powerscore book not divided by game type?

Whammy

Postby Whammy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Anaconda, you've been a big help. SHould I buy the 10 practice tests and next 10 practice tests, etc... Are those useful? Which book has the ten most recent tests?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:05 pm

The PS book divides games using their categorization, but it doesn't include enough games of each type for practice. You need to go to the PrepTests themselves for additional practice.

The book used in this plan is the most recent book of 10.

Whammy

Postby Whammy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:48 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:The PS book divides games using their categorization, but it doesn't include enough games of each type for practice. You need to go to the PrepTests themselves for additional practice.

On that page when it's referring to preptest 27 and preptest 38 etc...., what book are those in?

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 pm

I'll add to the above by recommending that whatever resources you buy, make sure that you photocopy the games and worksections--multiples of the original PTs and bibles. It is especially important to photocopy the games sections of every PT you buy (amazon, LSAC website, whatever). Going through a PT with an eraser after you take it so that you can photocopy it for later use is no fun at all.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Whammy wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:The PS book divides games using their categorization, but it doesn't include enough games of each type for practice. You need to go to the PrepTests themselves for additional practice.

On that page when it's referring to preptest 27 and preptest 38 etc...., what book are those in?

Yeah, the names LSAC uses are just plain confusing. You are talking about The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Prep Series. LSAT Blog does indeed have this information listed on his website.

Whammy

Postby Whammy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 pm

sumus romani wrote:
Whammy wrote:

Yeah, the names LSAC uses are just plain confusing. You are talking about The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Prep Series. LSAT Blog does indeed have this information listed on his website.

Thanks alot. If you had a choice, would you want to get the "Next 10 Book" or get more of the recent prep tests after 29-38. Does the "next 10" have explanations in it?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Whammy wrote:
sumus romani wrote:
Whammy wrote:

Get the LGB and ALL the PT's you can get your hands on

Thanks alot. If you had a choice, would you want to get the "Next 10 Book" or get more of the recent prep tests after 29-38. Does the "next 10" have explanations in it?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Whammy wrote:Anaconda, you've been a big help. SHould I buy the 10 practice tests and next 10 practice tests, etc... Are those useful? Which book has the ten most recent tests?

The most recent PTs are sold individually. Amazon sells 4 for the price of 3 (or at least it did a few months ago when I was studying for the test). The 10practice tests/next 10 are IIRC the first PTs.

As others have mentioned, definitely grab a LGB and worked through it. Focus your practice on the type of games that give you the most trouble. Identify your weaknesses then work to improve them.

In the end, after you get the concepts down solidly, imho nothing beats timed PTs taken in a manner that most mimic the real thing. Isn't the October test given at like 8am? If so, then wake up and take your tests around then.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”