Long Term Studying, or Hold Off?

Long Term Studying, or Hold Off?

Postby consideringoptions » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm basically wondering if there's a consensus on whether it's best to use a long period of time to study for the LSAT, or if the gains of starting early are diminished if it's too far in advance.

I took the LSAT about a year ago, and it didn't really go nearly as well as I wanted. I took a testmasters course for a couple months before the June date, but didn't really do enough work outside of the class. I raised from the low 150s to a 157. My goal is high 160s, or 170, ideally. Now, I'm working on getting some relevant work experience under my belt for probably a couple years and applying for the 2011 or 2012 fall. More likely 2012. Obviously that's quite a ways out, but I know that at some point in the forseeable future, I'll be taking the LSAT again, and I'd like to do as much as possible to prepare in the meantime. Is the accepted belief that you should wait until around 6 months before the test at most before really studying, or would more than that be really beneficial? Are there any effective long-term studying options? Or, if I should just hold off, what can I do to at least retain the prep I've already done and not have to start over in the interim?

I'd definitely appreciate any advice. Just kind of trying to formulate a plan here. Thanks!

Re: Long Term Studying, or Hold Off?

Postby tourdeforcex » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:33 am

from personal experience, those i know, and what i glean from TLS forums:

LSAT prep is exhausting. rephrase: proper LSAT prep for most people should be exhausting. if you're pushing yourself, the 3 months before the LSAT should be grinding every answer out of every PT or prep book. so i'd say chill until 3-4 months prior.

as for effective long-term studying, advice i've heard is get used to reading. a lot. like dense and dry stuff. read the economist from cover to cover. then reading comp will be a breeze. while you're at it, put some money in the bank, become that mature person law schools want.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”