Starting Prep Basic Questions

arean.ryan

Starting Prep Basic Questions

Postby arean.ryan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Hey guys I haven't started my prep session (I took a philosophy logic course, but it surprisingly did not pertain to the LSAT)
I am about to graduate August 13th, my prep will be 100% focused from graduation to Oct 12th on LSAT Prep.
My basic questions include:

1. Is it too late to hope for a high score, I haven't taken a diagnostic so I can't bookmark where I stand. Are two months of dedicated prep time enough?

2. Are courses over-priced and unnecessary?

3. After reading basic concepts/strategies, are the keys to mastering this test repetition and practice on previous LSATs?

4. I'm sure this one as been beat to death so I apologize in advance, but what are the best books I should grab that are on the market
?

Thanks Guys.

kazu

Re: Starting Prep Basic Questions

Postby kazu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:47 pm

1. Depends on how many hours a day you have to study, but 2 months should be fine. Just make sure to study effectively.

2. Yes (my own personal opinion)

3. Yes.

4. Logic Reasoning Bible and Logic Games Bible by Powerscore. The Superprep book by LSAC. If you can, also the Kaplan Mastery Practice book - really useful for targetting specific types of questions in LR.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:00 pm

arean.ryan wrote:(I took a philosophy logic course, but it surprisingly did not pertain to the LSAT)

you didn't learn what a contrapositive is?

You didn't learn about syllogisms? a is b, b is c, therefore a is c?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 pm

1. 2 months is not very long. Be prepared to bust your butt if you really want to do it. And make sure that you study in the right ways, not the wrong ways. You need to review everything that you do carefully so that you make sure that you understand why you got questions wrong before and how you won't get them wrong in the future.

Time required also depends on the score improvement that you want.

2. Over-priced? No. The courses cost a fair chunk of change because it costs a fair chunk of change to test-prep companies to run the courses in the first place. Unnecessary? Well, that depends on you. A course structures your studying and gives you all the materials, and it gives you a person to answer your questions. Helpful, probably. Necessary, probably not. Depends on you.

3. Alongside careful review of the questions, something like that, yes.

4. You want real LSAT questions. Get released PrepTests. The 10 Actual series is a good place to start, and then you want plenty of recent tests (from LSAC or any of the various other sources) as well. Quality of prep is more important than quantity, but quantity is important.

(The Powerscore Bibles and the various other books that people recommend have the reputations that they do primarily because they use real, not simulated, LSAT questions. For books of technique, I think there are other books out there that are at least as good.)

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Geist13 wrote:
arean.ryan wrote:(I took a philosophy logic course, but it surprisingly did not pertain to the LSAT)

you didn't learn what a contrapositive is?

You didn't learn about syllogisms? a is b, b is c, therefore a is c?

Yes I did, but are these unusually important concepts? I was making my statement in regards to the feedback my classmates who took the LSAT gave me....

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”