Treating prep material well

downing

Treating prep material well

Postby downing » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:05 am

One big mistake I made while preparing for the June LSAT, which I bombed with a saddening 159 (hope you all feel better about yourselves! :evil: ), was to write in all my practice material. Initially I used a separate pad of paper to write my answers and corrections in, but I got lazy toward the end and I began to write in my purchased tests. Now that I'm restudying for a retake in October, I repurchased much of what I already own, simply because I require material that won't sabotage my efforts. The other mistake I made was to assume I wouldn't need the material after the test. Supposing I approached the situation realistically, I probably would have handled my items with greater caution.
I also read a smart blurb about printing out the bubble sheets and using those to answer every question in the practice tests. It makes sense if you're trying to simulate real conditions, and I'll be using that approach starting this week.

How do you treat your material? Do you use a notebook, or do you render your books and tests useless by writing all over them?

Anaconda

Re: Treating prep material well

Postby Anaconda » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 am

What were you getting on PT's before you took the LSAt the first time?

downing

Postby downing » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:17 am

I was constantly getting between 164 and 169. I took the majority of prep tests available too. I never scored below a 163, except for the first diagnostic test I took. I felt a bit nauseous when I first witnessed my score.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 am

I'm retaking a 170, pting much higher, so I just circle all the answers that I didn't before and then make a smiley face next to the ones i think are right when i retake them. Because im familiar with the test, though i took them about a year ago, I focuse on explaining quickly to myself why wrong answers are wrong instead of just finding the right answer. Notebooks suck.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:28 am

downing wrote:How do you treat your material? Do you use a notebook, or do you render your books and tests useless by writing all over them?

I definitely rendered my material useless. I treated each one as if it were the real thing - underlined, marked answers, then transferred the answers to the bubble sheet. I played around with how to underline in RC, how to mark questions that I needed to look at again (circle? star? outline the whole question with a highlighter?) and when reviewing I also cut out difficult LR questions to paste in my "don't make this mistake again" notebook.

Personally, I think it's important to simulate test conditions as much as you can while practicing. In particular with LG you have to get used to diagramming in a limited amount of space (some games only give you a couple of inches on the bottom). Even with LR and RC I think it's useful to figure out what kind of underlining & marking works for you. I don't know about everyone else but I wouldn't have been able to finish a -0 LR or a -0 RC while trying to keep the material pristine.

If you don't want to have to repurchase material again, (if you end up having to retake again), I would suggest copying all of your material so that you have a "clean" hard copy as a backup.

Precessional

Postby Precessional » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:51 am

I've already murdered a small forest.

I try to PDF-ize, scan, or photocopy whenever I can. So this means favoring CambridgeLSAT over Amazon.com and the local bookstore. This means printing out scanned copies of the PowerScore books even though I've purchased physical copies.

What I've sacrifice in toner, time, and photocopy cost, I make up in flexibility and reproducilbity (well, also the sating of my obsessive tendencies).

At least, if I fail this whole LSAT and pre-law thing, I can cathartically set the whole damn pile ablaze! =D

---------------

And good point, OP. I just underline, circle, take-notes, and comment on my LSAT PT's and study materials as I do a class. It's all rather scribbly and unorganized. But I do print clean copies when I make my second pass through the material.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:23 am

I write in my books. In pencil.

I don't think it's good to get into the habit (especially for games) of writing a diagram or something on a separate sheet of paper. I did that initially, but you really don't get that much space on the actual test, so you want to get used to writing all over your paper. I also really like crossing out answers.

I find it simulates the test better for me to write in my material. I can erase it if need be. Plus, I'm planning on only taking it once (I know, nobody really plans to re-take), so I don't think it matters that much.

I didn't write in my LGB because I wanted to re-sell it after I was done with it.

I was also fortunate enough to receive two sets of Superprep, 10 Actual, Next 10, 10 More, because the first set took so long getting to me that LSAC sent me another set by UPS. So... there's some back up, free of charge, I guess.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:08 pm

downing wrote:I was constantly getting between 164 and 169. I took the majority of prep tests available too. I never scored below a 163, except for the first diagnostic test I took. I felt a bit nauseous when I first witnessed my score.

I'm there with ya man.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”