LGB mapping game example Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
xqhp82

Bronze

LGB mapping game example

Post by xqhp82 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 am

I have a problem trying to understand this game (P.323) about radar detection areas. i managed to get all the correct answers, though i did them with the assumption that the intersections between R-T and S-T, and the overlapping between R-U and T-U are irrelevant. can someone explain to me why that can be true? i thought that in a venn diagram if the two circles overlap then that area must be shared among the two?

apologies if i've missed something obvious/stupid :)

Grizz

Diamond

Re: LGB mapping game example

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:16 am

Came for the shitshow discussion of homosexuality.

Was disappointed.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:27 am

I am spatially incompetent and can only hope that a real mapping game doesn't show up on my test. The radar detection one killed me (even the second time through, I got one wrong), and that one where there are stations going places L1 L2 L3 that ostensibly should be easy? Yeah... no.

That obviously doesn't help you but I think the point is:

Anything that is in U must also be in T and R. M can't be in U because M is only in one area. The lapover is very important.

A plane could be in only R, or it could be in R and T and U. A plane could be only in S, or S and T. But a plane in U is always in U, R, and T. You could just be in T, or you could be in T and R, or T and S, or TRU...

That may be unhelpful clarification, but that's how I understood it.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:41 am

eit wrote:I am spatially incompetent and can only hope that a real mapping game doesn't show up on my test. The radar detection one killed me (even the second time through, I got one wrong), and that one where there are stations going places L1 L2 L3 that ostensibly should be easy? Yeah... no.

That obviously doesn't help you but I think the point is:

Anything that is in U must also be in T and R. M can't be in U because M is only in one area. The lapover is very important.

A plane could be in only R, or it could be in R and T and U. A plane could be only in S, or S and T. But a plane in U is always in U, R, and T. You could just be in T, or you could be in T and R, or T and S, or TRU...

That may be unhelpful clarification, but that's how I understood it.
yea i really hope that none of those weird rare game types come up in october!
i understood what you meant, but what i'm confused about is why can the plane just be in S, or T, or R, when they're all overlapping each other in a certain degree? for example, part of S intersects with T, so if a plane is in S, certainly it's in part of T as well? when it's shown in a venn diagram they partially intersect but when LGB converts it to a linear grouping diagram, only the TRU relationship is taken into account and all the rest become mutually exclusive. that's what i don't get...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”